Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 03:10AM

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/aug/11/the-five-chimeras-human-monkey-hybrid-genetic

Human-monkey
Last week, researchers led by Spanish scientist Juan Carlos Izpisua Belmonte announced they had created the first human-monkey chimera embryos in China. The purpose of the experiment is to investigate ways of using animals to grow human organs for transplants. The organs could be genetically matched by taking the recipient’s cells and reprogramming them into stem cells.

Human-pig
In 2017, scientists from the Salk Institute in California (led again by Izpisua Belmonte) tried to grow the first embryos containing cells from humans and pigs. The process proved to be more challenging than expected and was very inefficient: from 2,075 implanted embryos, only 186 developed up to the 28-day time limit for the project.

Human-mouse
In March, Japan loosened its guidelines, lifting a two-week limit on the growth of human-animal chimeras and allowing the transplantation of chimeric embryos or hybrids into animals, but not humans. Pending approval, a Japanese stem cell scientist, Hiromitsu Nakauchi, plans to insert human stem cells into mice or rats in an attempt to grow a human pancreas in the animal. As a safeguard, if too many human cells creep into the rat’s brains, the experiment will be stopped.

Dr Pretorius asks his former student Dr Frankenstein to help him create a woman from "The Bride Of Frankenstein" (1936):

"You think I'm mad. Perhaps I am. But listen Henry Frankenstein. While you were digging in your graves, piecing together dead tissues, I, my dear pupil, went for my material to the source of life. I grew my creatures like cultures; grew them, as Nature does - from seed. But still, you did achieve results that I have missed. Now think what a world-astounding collaboration we should be, you and I - together. Leave the charnel house and follow the lead of Nature - or of God if you like your Bible stories. Male and Female created He them. Be fruitful and multiply. Create a race, a man-made race upon the face of the earth. Why not? Our mad dream is only half realized. Alone, you have created a man. Now together, we will create his mate. Yes. A woman. That should be really interesting."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 03:11AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anon anon ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 03:12AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 06:52AM

Fake news. Consult your local biologist.

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 04:45PM

How is this supposedly "fake news"? Do you have a local biologist who has debunked this?
(I live in a country where a very powerful guy shouts "fake news" at whatever thing he finds inconvenient, so I've learned to be suspicious of the claim.)

Date: August 12, 2019 04:54PM

Did you consult your local biologist yet ?
I didn't think so.
You must have failed biology.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 04:51PM

How about if the.poster who made the claim offer some proof.I am.skeptical too. If this had happened, I think it would be big news and I wouldn't have to read about it here.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:08PM

Original poster referenced the Guardian article. Which is more than some counter-claimants have done.
I am less skeptical of the claim because I have heard elsewhere of unethical biology experiments in China, and have learned a bit about chimeras. I've also learned a bit about CRISPR, so what counts as "possible" has increased dramatically in recent years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 05:10PM by touchstone.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:17PM

An attempt to make a hybrid is not the same as human animal hybrids being a reality.I have. no doubt that it has been tried. I am skeptical that they have come anywhere near to making a real hybrid

Posted by: No name ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:26PM

It has been successfully with other species. Genes from fungi have been put in tomatoes and genes have been swapped between animals. Look up the glowing mice experiment.

Different species of animals, even closely related ones like chimps and humans have diffefent numbers of chromosomes so they can't crossbreed. However you can exchange genes between them.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:39PM

But the argument about s that a human/ animal hybrid is a reality.Maybe some day

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:24PM

“Just because we can, doesn’t mean we should,” will never stop scientific “progress”.

If it could, it would; it can’t so it won’t.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:42PM

Moral agreements and priorities have, in fact, stopped or at least severely slowed down numerous forms of technological/scientific advancements, for better and for worse. Here are some examples which spring to mind:
Chemical warfare research after the Geneva Conventions.
Stem-cell research in the USA.
Proliferation of nuclear weapon technology.

Perfect stops? Maybe not. Significant delays and slowdowns? Absolutely.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:25PM

Drat ! That thing called genetics keeps on getting in the way of these "experiments".

"if too many human cells creep into the rat’s brains, the experiment will be stopped" *LOL*

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:36PM

> "if too many human cells
> creep into the rat’s brains,
> the experiment will be
> stopped" *LOL*

There's a fire marshall at the entrance to the building, with a handheld clicker-counter, and as soon as the magic number of entrants is hit, he slams the door shut! It's all good!

But what about the man whose male member is changing (even as you read this) from flesh to calcium, as in bone!

“Penile ossification remains a relatively rare condition being mentioned in very few journals,” the Bronx doctors said.

"There are reportedly less than 40 published cases of a man’s penis turning to bone in this way."

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08/09/doctors-penis-turning-to-bone/

Apparently, the man left the hospital AMA because the female staff were all stopping by to 'wish him the best' and leaving business cards, letters and invitations.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:34PM

Apart from my humungous moral and ethical quarrels with this, here is my question:

On a strictly biological level, if the evolutionary line(s) which eventually resulted in "us" exist(s) and are known, then why is it not theoretically possible to "go back" a step, or two, or three, to where "we" once were (before we, as a species, passed the line which divides "us" from those forms of animal life who were our biological ancestors)?

If evolution exists in one direction, why can that process not also be utilized in the reverse direction?

Again, I have MANY moral and ethical problems with this being underway IRL, but scientifically, I don't see why it isn't at least theoretically possible, in specific cases, to modify the direction of evolutionary growth into reverse gear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 05:37PM by Tevai.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:41PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJH5AR0CuRI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 05:49PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: August 12, 2019 05:51PM

This isn't "fake" news.

There are human-animal hybrid embryos -- not a baby...for now.

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/human-monkey-hybrid?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

Date: August 12, 2019 06:10PM

So where are all these chimeras ?

Date: August 12, 2019 06:32PM

If animals don't have "souls" then I'd not go to heaven...
https://www.catholic.com/qa/do-animals-have-souls-like-human-beings

Date: August 12, 2019 06:32PM

Will these human-monkey chimeras be bred for slavery ?
Wasn't there a movie based on this premise ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 06:34PM

Can they be converted to mormonism?

Date: August 12, 2019 06:36PM

That would increase the overall intelligence of the mormon collective.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 07:53PM

Yes, but on a lower tier; they cannot be endowed or hold the priesthood, at least until a revelation allowing it happens.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 05:37PM

Hybrids are overpriced, and don't perform as well as the other cars, IMO.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 08:32AM

I don’t think we are talking actual hybrids here. Chimeras aren’t quite the same thing. Aren’t we talking about a monkey with some human cells added, rather than a hybrid where from creation, every cell is from both parents? That’s not semantics but I admit I’m personally not comfortable with the idea of a chimera either.

What I don’t understand with these scientists, is why they do this stuff when they know they’ll have to abort, which they did. Are they showing off and/or pushing boundaries in the hope this will help it get approved ethically?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 09:20AM

Centaurs are coming back?

Date: August 15, 2019 11:00AM

What about Satan ? Doesn't he have horns and hoofs or something ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.