Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 04:06PM

"The Only True Church?"

I hope someone out there knows whether or not this praise is still used.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 04:23PM

teaching adherents to be judgmental, rank-ordering humanity as lesser-than, to wit the interstate state motto "Life Elevated" (cracked up when confronted with that one!)

How could it NOT be "the one, true, only, #1 righteous, most beautiful, only favored, most-specialest of all, supersonic all-weather best tasting all-natural low-carb non-fat non-dairy gluten-free pure-beef vegan" "church"? :-D

I think I'm hungry

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 04:40PM

I just asked three delightfully named young ladies at mormon.com that question and was told that the mormon church is the one and only true church on earth.

When I asked what they say to someone who claims his or her church is the 'one true church', she said they just politely wish the person well and move on.

It didn't go well after that, but I 'hung up' on them before they could 'hang up' on me!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 12:40PM

“the mormon church is the one and only true church on earth”

Wow, what are the odds?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 11:47PM

I didn't hear that phrase once. A bunch of young women gave talks and a few shared a testimony of Jesus before they sat down. The YW leaders had to share their thoughts (the young women didn't talk long enough) and none of them said anything about the church; and neither did the bishop as he closed the meeting.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 09:33AM

If I asked my daughter, I'm sure I'd get that answer. They were still saying it when I left. If we watched conference, I'd be surprised if they didn't say it during conference. Conference isn't too far in the future. Listen in.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 08:18PM

I haven't listened to conference with the specific intent of catching the phrase, and I obviously do not know this to be a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if speakers were advised to avoid the phrase even in the testimony-laden endings of most GC talks. Conference is so very public that what we see there is often what the Big 15 think will cause them to appear as mainstream Christian as possible (though one would think that for the same reason they might downplay the use of Restoration-themed hymns, and they haven't exactly figured that out). I will pay more attention during the next GC. It's our good fortune that the next general conference is seldom much more than five months and thirty days away.

I attended F & T meeting because of the blessing of a cousin's child a few months ago. "I know the church is true" and the many variations on the theme were still heard more often than not in that particular meeting.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 09:38AM

Other churches have "the truth"™ but LD$ Inc. has 38.7% more of it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 12:42PM

More calories. You can tell by the members.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 01:00PM

Those funeral potatoes are not going to eat themselves you know.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 02:15AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 12:55PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Other churches have "the truth"™ but LD$ Inc.
> has 38.7% more of it.

64.5 % of all statistics quoted have been spontaneously written/quoted/cited. That's the Truth, AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 02:38PM

JUST WHO SAYS THEY AREN'T THE ONLY 'TRUE & LIVING CRUTCH OF Joe Smith, BringEm Young, & their successors?'

I'll find a way to crush them!!!

Danites: Attention! Order in your ranks & files!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 02:40PM by GNPE.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 02:44PM

They don't even acknowledge the world.

Word

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 04:03PM

Not only are they the only true church... since all other religions are false... the true church is going to dead dunk your ass as a favor so you can make it to the true church true heaven... sounds like a party to me... so by not being a member of the true church... can still make it to the true church heaven without paying a dime or scrubbing a toilet... works for me!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 05:58PM

I think the church softened on the only true church stance when Gordon B Hinckley made an attempt to try and use public relations to make the church more widely accepted. We are the only true church became replaced with let us add some of our truth to your truth.

This trend seems to have continued to the present. I have also observed the message the church leaders give the general public differs from what the members get. The members get more of the traditional rhetoric of we are the Lord’s only true church and a lot of live up to the church’s standards or else and the general public get the soft ball public relations warm and fuzzy.

Date: August 12, 2019 08:06PM

pollythinks Wrote:
> "The Only True Church?"
>
> I hope someone out there knows whether or not this
> praise is still used.

It's not praise as much as a lie.

What's new in Mormonism.

NOTHING. It's old. Bald. False.

I sometimes call it the OFC (one false church).

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 10:02PM

In D&C 1:30 Jesus himself is quoted as saying that TSCC is the only true and living church on the face of the earth. But Mormons rarely read (much less quote from) the Doctrine and Covenants.

Date: August 13, 2019 02:24PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
> In D&C 1:30 Joseph says that Jesus is purported to say that
TSCC is the only true [false] and living [dying] church on the face [ass] of the earth. But Mormons rarely think, feel or act (naturally or normally).

The LDSc is in apostasy.
As are members following it.

Date: August 15, 2019 05:16AM

The only true church church was the theme pre-Hinckley. Post Benson has been more of an attempt to make the church more inclusive than the strange and peculiar.

So there is more focus on Jesus Christ and lot’s of effort to try and get the church accepted by the general public. That being said the church is still the church inside it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 10:13PM

It used to be taught that at the 2nd coming and during the millenium that the LDS church would be in full glory and all the other churches would also be in existence during Christ's 1000 year reign.

And that always defied my sense of logic that if the church was really true (and the one and only~ why wouldn't Jesus straighten out everyone else?). That teaching alone completely destroys the logic of having only one true church.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 11:40AM

Of course the United Apostolic Brethren, the FLDS, the Kingston Clan, etc, etc, all beg to differ. They are the one true and living church, and their full power and glory will be revealed as soon as their leaders get out of prison. As JS showed to the world, getting your ass thrown in prison is proof that The Adversary is trying to stop your great work.

Do you ever wonder what percentage of the Utah population would meet the clinical definition of delusional?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 12:02PM

I heard members in many a fast and testaphoney meeting saying that either " I know the church is true", or "I know that this is the only true church on the face of the earth". Usually, this would be followed by: "I know Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God." A lot of "knowing", but no truth.

Date: August 13, 2019 02:35PM

Mormons don't know anything
But they believe a lot (of crap)

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 02:57PM

It's their reason for existing.

I'd love to see leaders from the formerly calleed Mormon church, Jehovah's Witnesses, SDA, Catholic and Orthodox churches all get together and just finally duke it out for the "One True Church" award.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 03:47PM

Highly doubt that Nelson had the cojones to make that claim to Francis while on his luxury Vatican tour.

Date: August 15, 2019 05:20AM

logged out today Wrote:
> Highly doubt that Nelson had the cojones to make
> that claim to Francis while on his luxury Vatican
> tour.

I think Nelson and the other apostles were star struck. I think the church has an inferiority complex. It’s quite pathetic actually. The church is begging to be accepted.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 09:36PM

When you are a small, dipstick religious sect, headquartered in the American boondocks, you are going to have a _major_ inferiority complex. How can you not?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 10:54PM

I heard it plenty when my mom was being missionaried to. Never paid much attention to the doctrine that was being preached. That phrase stuck for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 10:55PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.