Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2019 06:38PM

"We are, by the grace of ghawd, the team of atheists who curbed the horror that is ebola!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Haystack ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 07:17AM

You have created a monstrous strawman there. Where does it say all the researchers are atheists? How did you pick that up? Telepathy? Neither atheism nor religion had anything to do with this.

What's happened is a great achievement, not just petty point scoring for your own personal first world problems.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 11:02AM

The OP never said the researchers were atheist, but only that the science was. Where's that strawman?

Posted by: Haystack ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 04:33PM

fossilman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The OP never said the researchers were atheist,
> but only that the science was. Where's that
> strawman?

You've just mentioned it. The science isn't "atheist", it's got nothing to do with "atheism". The researchers may have been atheist, Buddhist, animist, or pastafarian... It's irrelevant.

Hell, I've even known Mormons (!) who worked in medicine and run research facilities. Even the current church president is a retired heart surgeon, and seemingly not a bad one in his day.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 05:16PM

That's true, but I believe the overriding point is the cure was not to pray and fast or have faith, or anything related to religion.

The solution was coming through scientific means, which religion cherry picks and uses only if it can be aligned with faith.

Sure, there are religious people who are scientists, but science is not a religious methodology. It functions outside of religious claims or the personal beliefs of those who work following the scientific method (usually).

At least that is what the original subject line meant to me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 05:47AM

So tell us how medical science is theistic.

Posted by: Facepalm ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 01:58PM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 07:29AM

Pretty soon there will be no disease worse than Mormonism.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 08:23AM

You may have to pray on that!

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 08:33AM

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 13, 2019 10:52AM

Has nothing to do with beliefs!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:44AM

Oh, yeah?

Let's see science find a way to guarantee you safe passage to the highest degree of the celestial kingdom!

”Trust not in the knowledge professed by the Ph.D.s of science, but in the faith of a little child who on Christmas Eve lays his head on his humble pillow knowing that if his parents know what's good for them, he will arise On Christmas morning to find 72% of his Christmas wish list fulfilled. For such is the kingdom of heaven, that Jesus died for the World’s economy. Amen.”

--Judic West, Chairman of West, West & West, advertisers to the Stars

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:53AM

Hey, I got the keys, signs and tokens. All I need is a Ford Pinto and some consecrated 10w30 oil and I'll drive there.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 12:19PM

I read a book recently entitled, "The Hot Zone", true stories about Ebola. The graphic images portrayed in the book stemming from the E virus are horrifying. The virus literally liquefies living tissue in dramatic fashion within a short time. Extremely brutal and painful. Very glad that science has made some headway here. I know that no one has ever been cured by a priesthood blessing, whose had Ebola.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.