Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rhodathetree ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 02:52AM

Jesus dies for our sins. We are able to accept him and be forgiven.

A short time later...

Jesus kills a whole shit load of Nephites and doesn't give them a chance to accept him and be forgiven.

3 Nephi Chapter 9

In the darkness, the voice of Christ proclaims the destruction of many people and cities for their wickedness—He also proclaims His divinity, announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled, and invites men to come unto Him and be saved. About A.D. 34.

1 And it came to pass that there was a voice heard among all the inhabitants of the earth, upon all the face of this land, crying:

2 Wo, wo, wo unto this people; wo unto the inhabitants of the whole earth except they shall repent; for the devil laugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain of the fair sons and daughters of my people; and it is because of their iniquity and abominations that they are fallen!

3 Behold, that great city Zarahemla have I burned with fire, and the inhabitants thereof.

4 And behold, that great city Moroni have I caused to be sunk in the depths of the sea, and the inhabitants thereof to be drowned.

5 And behold, that great city Moronihah have I covered with earth, and the inhabitants thereof, to hide their iniquities and their abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints shall not come any more unto me against them.

6 And behold, the city of Gilgal have I caused to be sunk, and the inhabitants thereof to be buried up in the depths of the earth;

7 Yea, and the city of Onihah and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Mocum and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints shall not come up any more unto me against them.

8 And behold, the city of Gadiandi, and the city of Gadiomnah, and the city of Jacob, and the city of Gimgimno, all these have I caused to be sunk, and made hills and valleys in the places thereof; and the inhabitants thereof have I buried up in the depths of the earth, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up any more unto me against them.

9 And behold, that great city Jacobugath, which was inhabited by the people of king Jacob, have I caused to be burned with fire because of their sins and their wickedness, which was above all the wickedness of the whole earth, because of their secret murders and combinations; for it was they that did destroy the peace of my people and the government of the land; therefore I did cause them to be burned, to destroy them from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints should not come up unto me any more against them.

10 And behold, the city of Laman, and the city of Josh, and the city of Gad, and the city of Kishkumen, have I caused to be burned with fire, and the inhabitants thereof, because of their wickedness in casting out the prophets, and stoning those whom I did send to declare unto them concerning their wickedness and their abominations.

11 And because they did cast them all out, that there were none righteous among them, I did send down afire and destroy them, that their wickedness and abominations might be hid from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints whom I sent among them might not cry unto me from the ground against them.

12 And many great destructions have I caused to come upon this land, and upon this people, because of their wickedness and their abominations.

13 O all ye that are spared because ye were more brighteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?

14 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.

15 Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. bI am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.

16 I came unto my own, and my own received me not. And the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled.

17 And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled.

18 I am the alight and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

19 And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.

20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not.

21 Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.

22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 05:44AM

Jerusalem is mentioned and is a real city therefore that whole BoM thing must be true.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 06:09AM

Christ: I don’t do well with insolence.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:34AM

Mormon Jesus, the first Middle Eastern terrorist to strike on American soil.

https://pics.astrologymemes.com/menso-ill-get-you-for-this-you-sons-of-bitches-29907265.png

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:51AM

Meanwhile back in the Mid-East the Romans and Jews who tortured, whipped, nailed to a cross, and crowned the "Savior" with thorns painfully piercing the scalp are given a holy Get Out of Jail Free Card and resume business as usual.

Luckily for the rest of the world Jesus was satisfied with venting his bloodthirsty ways on the Nephites and left the other continents alone to continue their hedonistic ways with their false gods still in place.

Love the way you put all that Rhodathetree.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 11:02AM

Sounds like "The New World" is the true Holy Land and it was required as a sacrifice. Jesus went to "The Old World" to be born and stuff and let that most wicked place kill him so he could go to the true Holy Land and executive a divine sacrifice not of himself but of land - spilling untold gallons of blood to cleanse it.

It all plays well into the manifest destiny of the descendants of the conquerors and provides a backdrop for "blessing" this new world with pre-Christian Christian Hebrews in a holy small diaspora looking for a newer better Holy Land.

As a myth for conquerors with old myths to "graft" into these new world trees "of life" Mormonism makes the horrors of conquering an entire continent of peoples look like a blessing from God.

In the realm of calling evil good and good evil Mormonism takes the cake. They will never repudiate their Saint Columbus or their Saint Joseph who looked for Spanish gold.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 04:12PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus went to "The Old World" to be born and stuff

Best line ever

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:59AM

It apparently isn't enough that people are able live lives that guarantee eternal alienation from ghawd, as well eternal painful, screaming anguish... In addition, some of them get to pass from this life via extraordinarily gruesome means in an effort to try to scare the rest of us into compliance with a set of rules so out of alignment with the Natural Man the HE created...

Sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself, do Bible Jesus and his dad really exist?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 11:01PM

It's a marvel that you can get beyond the layers of sheer BS to analyze some kind of meaning.

My mind reels at the repeated "and the inhabitants thereof," it's as elegant as a rock plopping into water. Was JS a bad paralegal?

I defy anyone to tell me what "that the blood of the prophets and the saints shall not come up any more unto me against them" means. Do people who read this book just pretend to know what it means? It wasn't enough to say that hogwash once, it's repeated over-and-over, calling attention to its stupid self. Wasn't JS a native speaker of English?

And the comical city names: Moron Ihop; the city of world salad; the city of dumb-sounding and dumber-sounding. Are readers just skimming this stuff, or do they really try to figure out what it's saying. Because it's so ridiculous and self-parodying. How do people read it without giggling? And then skimming--does one really need to know all of the made-up cities that Jesus sunk into the earth, oh, and "the inhabitants thereof," just to be especially clear (actually, I was wondering about their heirs and assigns, but I guess we'll never know).

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 11:48AM

Did anyone expect Jesus not to be schizophrenic like his father?

My first clue that Jesus had a mean side was Matt 10:34-36, Luke 14:26, and Mark 16:16. No amount of spinning can mask the controlling loyalist nature of that type of god.

I suppose that is one reason why JS expounded on those characteristics of Jesus. Inconsistency and cruelty in the name of the god is pretty much a given from the OT on.

It's laughable when Jesus says he is saving the world from sin, when he demonstrates vindictive demands for control of everyone in-between his sugar-love forgiveness narrative. Never mind creating sin was his choice. Honestly, none of it makes any sense. JS just made the nonsense more obvious.

Date: August 14, 2019 11:54AM

"Hey Dad. You think your flooding the whole world was really something, don't you. Ha! I'm on my way to the Americas. Just watch this and learn how it's done!"

Posted by: Mike in mesa ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 12:02PM

Someone chiseled that entire Jesus quote as Jesus spoke from the sky onto golden plates in reformed Egyptian?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 12:07PM

Yep. He had to chisel really fast. Good thing the best speed-chiseler was there when Jesus happened to pop out of the sky!

Or, maybe Jesus spoke really slowly.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 12:46PM

Exactly this: we hear how difficult it was to scratch all that stuff on to metal plates, and then Jesus couldn't say "OK, I sunk this list of cities, burned these, and buried these because every man, woman and child in them were being assholes to me. So--sunk: Boston, LA, Baltimore. Burned: Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, Cincinnati. Earthquaked: Salt Lake, San Francisco, Fresno."

P.S. The BoM was written during a time in America of fire and brimstone protestant preaching, so the cuddly,loving Jesus holding a cute velociraptor baby was not on greeting cards so much. I always felt the EllDeeEss Church ™ was way more Old Testament than New.

Date: August 14, 2019 01:33PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always
> felt the EllDeeEss Church ™ was way more Old
> Testament than New.

They did try bringing polygamy back.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 01:51PM

in reading this part it is obvious that the author was self-consciously trying to “destroy evidence” ~

it was common knowledge in 1830 as it is today that all over the world there is evidence of ancient civilizations ~

ruins /coins / pottery / etcetera ~

so the author brought in MormonJesus™ to “bury” and “sink” everything to explain why there is no evidence for the Book of Mormon in these modern times ~

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 02:40PM

The Book of Mormon God makes the Old Testament God look mild by comparison. The OT God only flooded the earth; the Book of Mormon God used a little variety, including fierce lightenings and tornadoes. All of the chariots, swords, etc must’ve gotten lifted back to heaven in one of those whirlwinds.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 06:37PM

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 11:30PM

than an ordinary comic book.

Groupthink and the phenomenon of being fake because everyone around you is being fake (as in the story The Emperor's New Clothes) is the only reason why TBMs continually pretend that there is any depth at all to the Book of Mormon.

Like a comic book, you get "bad guys" and "good guys" and often all you get are the labels, just so you know who to root for. Very little information is given as to what exactly makes the "bad guys" the bad guys or makes the "good guys" the good guys.

Nephi murdered a guy and stole his property because he claimed a voice in his head (which he identified as "god") told him to do it. But Nephi is a major "good guy" in the Book of Mormon. We know that because the Nephi character told us that he is a good guy. "Hey, I'm the good son of goodly parents. My brothers are bad."

Jesus in the Book of Mormon boasts about destroying entire cities.

Well, entire cities would include many, many children under the age of eight. So even according to Mormon doctrine, Jesus is boasting about killing innocent children.

He claims that he destroyed the cities due to their iniquity, but never bothers to tell us exactly what types of misbehavior were going on in the destroyed cities that constituted the type of iniquity that would justify wholesale massacres of the entire populations of those cities.

So the Book of Mormon doesn't even use all this destruction as an opportunity to teach future generations about what's good and what's evil in any meaningfully detailed, practical sense.

It simply teaches that there is a very powerful being that can cause your entire city to be swallowed up and all inhabitants painfully exterminated simply because he declares your city to be "full of iniquity." The Book of Mormon doesn't even give you a working definition of the definition of iniquity that was applied.

I have to admit that the Book of Mormon bothered me from day one, even when I was a TBM. It all started when, as a little kid, I asked my mom where the golden plates were and she told me that the angel took them up to heaven. That sounded like such a lame story even then and I never really got over it.

Then as I got older and started reading the Book of Mormon with some reasonable level of comprehension, it just always seemed stupid. For example, the story of Ammon slicing off the arms of a hundred robbers or whatever was ridiculous. What did it teach? What deep philosophical or spiritual truth was taught by that story. If I have faith in God and listen to and obey the General Authorities, then if I'm ever hired by a rich and powerful man to protect his property, I will be blessed to be able to easily kill a hundred men in the course of protecting the rich and powerful man's property? There is no other lesson in that story.

The Book of Mormon has always seemed so ridiculous to me that it still boggles my mind to see ostensibly well-educated, reasonably intelligent adults "bearing testimony" about it and quoting it as though it was the greatest source of wisdom and knowledge on earth. To me watching a room full of adults quoting from a Britney Spears song, and crying and bearing testimony of its truthfulness and thanking God for revealing it to us through his servant Britney Spears.

Date: August 16, 2019 10:24AM

Iniquity. Iniquity!

What a useful word when one has writer's block. Adds a mysterious quality to sin. Sounds like upper-crust sin. Clever sin. And so economic. The word is obscure and therefore sounds like you've said way more than you actually have by rolling it out. Iniquity!

And leaves the door open. The iniquity is not specified. This way each prophet can add his own specification to the pile. A tea. A coffee. A shoulder. A lovely row of rings parading up a lobe. And now, even the word "Mormon."

We thank thee oh God for a Prophet, to reveal these sins. Because let's face it, how could we have possible known that these mundane, innocuous everyday things are so offensive to God that we would be cast from his presence forever.

Date: August 16, 2019 11:48AM

You forget the evil Lamanites feeding the husbands to their wives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.