Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 01:08PM

So this was a "cultural misunderstanding?"

https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-primary-school-teacher-arrested-on-suspicion-of-child-sex-abuse

It is just turning my stomach because as a child I was abused at sleepovers with a man living alone at his house.

What kind of parents thinks sleepovers with one grown man and a few boys is a good idea? Oh, yeah, Mormon parents.

And this is happening recently. Is there no progress? No oversight? No common sense? Really?

The beasts and their children victims...and The Mormon Church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 02:08PM

“No common sense”. It makes me wonder what the police think of this. Assuming they’re not mormon.

Where is the phrase “cultural misunderstanding” from?

Nowhere in the world are people not overly (and rightly) cautious about this nowadays. Except in the mormon church, of course.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 04:53PM

about things required of clubs at the high school and how it infringes on family time. One of the requirements is some sleepovers. For school? Ridiculous. Who came up with that?

I allowed my kids to go to sleepovers, though my son hated them and would always come home around dark. My daughter had sleepovers all the time.

And we had them for young women. I didn't like them, but the other leaders in Beehives wanted them. I wouldn't stay over when they had them. Now I'm an old lady, I think what was I thinking letting my kids sleep over?

Date: August 14, 2019 04:55PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now I'm an old lady, I think what was I thinking
> letting my kids sleep over?

You wouldn't have let them go to a sleep over organized by an adult living alone with no other adults present.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 07:48PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 11:30PM

I had been part of one particular group (girls only) for about a year and a half. We had done things like going to a movie together, meeting for a Saturday lunch at a favorite restaurant, kid stuff like that. One of the girls invited the rest to a sleepover on a Friday night. I was thrilled. We chattered like squirrels - the hostess-girl had a swimming pool at her house!!

My parents reacted very negatively. Both said NO. My father (usually the more permissive one) told me, "Those are for college girls, not junior high girls." It turned into an unbelievably bad family brawl. I retaliated by totally refusing to participate in class, do homework, or study for tests. Teachers called my parents. I told my parents, "Let me go to the sleepover, and I'll 'do' school again." Every waking hour at home was filled with hostility. It was AWFUL.

My mother pointed out that I didn't even own a sleeping bag and would be "so ashamed" by taking blankets and a pillow. I wouldn't have cared.

After one of the most horrible weeks I can remember, my father presented me with a brand-new sleeping bag on Friday morning, and told me I could go. It was clear from my mother's behavior that she wasn't happy about this, but for once, Dad put his foot down.

When Mother drove me over to the girl's house (a lovely home in a very posh part of town), she informed the girl's mother that I was to go to bed at nine o'clock, and a lot of other nonsense. It was embarrassing to hear her rattle on, but the hostess-mom clearly understood that she was dealing with a nutcase, and agreed to everything, so that Mother would go away placidly and not yank me back out.

The hostess mom told me, "This is a sleepover. When you girls go to bed, or IF you go to bed, is up to you." OMG. I could hardly breathe; was this wonderfulness really happening?

We had so much fun. We played in the pool for a while, got out, ate barbecued hot dogs and burgers, gossiped like fiends, styled each other's hair, speculated on which guys at school were hottest. . .on and on. And then, around three in the morning, we decided to hit the pool again. It was Paradise.

I may have gone to other sleepovers, but I will never forget that one. We were all good friends anyway, but it seemed like we really bonded at that time. Later, we would be split up and many of those girls went to different high schools, but that memory is golden.

My girls were never invited to group sleepovers. They would be invited to spend the night with one girlfriend or another, and we always knew the parents, so it was never an issue.

My dear, sweet Dad - giving me that sleeping bag and allowing me to go to that sleepover! Over the next decade or two, that bag got a lot of mileage on it! Happy, happy memory!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 11:42PM

Your dad sounds like a fine man.

Date: August 15, 2019 10:59AM

What a great memory. I wet the bed until I was 15. Sleepovers were horrible for me. So I was awake when the "sleep" abuse happened. I could go on about the grooming and such. But I had a few fun sleepovers. I never had one as fun as yours.

My most fun one was a friend's birthday party. His parents rented the latest Rocky movie and after it we all stripped down to our undies and fought each other on his bed/ring.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 03:55PM

This is a wonderful story, and on so many different levels.

I am grateful that your Dad gave you that sleeping bag, and made it possible for you to have that important experience, and these important memories.

Really nice reminiscence, catnip. Thank you!

P.S. My thanks go out to my Mom, wherever she may be right at this moment, for all of the sleepovers she made possible for me.

I learned important things at those sleepovers which have stayed with me ever since. [Example: one of our schoolmates was hearing, but both of her parents were deaf--and one memorable sleepover at her house, we all learned a bunch of things which transformed each of us into better people forever.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 03:55PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Andrea Dworkin ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 05:28PM

Date: August 15, 2019 06:17PM

I was also abused by a sister. And there are hosts of women teachers in news archives who abused their students.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/teacher-sex-offender-allegations-female-photos/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 11:50AM by Elder Berry.

Date: August 16, 2019 11:50AM

Topping for link.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 01:54PM

Thank gawd this kid's parents reported the abuse to Child Services. If they had gone to the bishop, I'm not sure we'd even be hearing about it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 02:49PM

I think poster "Dworkin" was taking a verbal sarcastic potshot at his caricature of feminists. It wasn't meant to be taken as literally true. There's enough "victimized white man" vibe that I'd check for Jordan's fingerprints.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.