Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 09:27AM

"This time last summer, Naomi Harris was scared for her life — over and over and over again.

There's the story of how she landed in hospital with a leg infection, which was a nasty prologue to a whole other misadventure on the French River. (She was bucked into the rapids, slicing her shin on the rocks.) Before that, she'd survived the Ottawa and Mattawa Rivers, plus the muddy, 11 km slog of the LaVase Portages. Then came a crossing at Lake Superior, where she paddled way out into the greatest of the Great Lakes ... just as the weather turned murderous. She and her guide survived. Barely. Same goes for the the squall that rocked her campsite soon after — an episode that nearly drowned her on dry land.

But Harris made it, completing a 70-day canoe journey from Lachine, Que., to Thunder Bay, Ont. And she did it all in a damned floor-length dress."

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/she-canoed-to-thunder-bay-in-a-big-victorian-dress-and-the-trip-s-not-over-yet-1.5246519

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 12:17PM

thx 4 the links to the pics OPie ~

brb ~

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 12:28PM

In my last years of church attendance, I often wore 'cargo shorts' or something similar; this drove some people batty, even though they covered my garmies.

Stupid Cult to focus on such trivia & other matters...

"As I have loved you, love one another"

we don't teach that, it's just a couplet...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 02:15PM

I read the words, ”cargo pants”, but it took longer than usual to transmit the ’what’ of your words into a mental image. But it was worth the effort!

Why the hell would Jesus care how long your pants we're in church, so long as the shibboleths of polite society we're observed?

Can't see his privates... Check
Can't see his garments... Check

But one can easily picture the outrage...!! So I laughed out loud.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 16, 2019 02:06PM

Not sure why you posted this, but I read the article because I am familiar with eastern Manitoba and western Ontario. That is seriously tough country to travel in. There was recently a pair of teenagers from BC who murdered three people and stole vehicles and fled to Gillam in northern Manitoba, where they took off on foot. I think they fancied themselves outdoorsmen, and they could escape in the bush.

The land up there is rolling granite with all the low places (of which there are many) are filled with muskeg (peat bog) or ponds, with an occasional navigable river. Rivers are far and away the less difficult way to travel, not that they are easy. Without a boat of some sort, travel is pretty much impossible. The bush is incredibly thick, and the insects are awful. The two teens were found last week near the banks of the Nelson River, double suicide.

Also, the north shore of Lake Superior is extremely difficult canoeing. Much of the shore is high cliffs dropping straight into the water, so there are long stretches where it is quite difficult to get either into or out of the lake. Makes life difficult when a storm hits. Even for people with high tech kayaks and wet suits and support crews on shore, it is quite challenging. People can and do die.

There are very few towns and almost no roads in NW Ontario and NE and north central Manitoba. There is a reason for that. It is brutally tough country. Unlike Utah red rock country, where the heat and lack of water are obvious dangers, there there is plenty of water and vegetation. So much so, that that is the problem.

Anyhow, looks like this woman is a photographer/writer who wanted to see what it must have been like for a woman trying to cross that land before the railroad. My hat's off to her, but I think she was out of her mind. No way in hell I would attempt that. Even driving the trans-Canada highway across western Ontario is a little disconcerting. You think those Nevada highways are lonely.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 02:15PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 12:09AM

I posted it to show the juxtaposition between mormon women and normal women.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 02:11AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.