Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 12:54AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 12:57AM

I haven't yet, but some of the hymns are either so ridiculous or make so little sense that I feel silly singing them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 12:58AM

Not Attending pretty much solves any would-be dilemma...

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:00AM

Yep. Been there for a few years now.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:12AM

I never cared much for the lyrics...but enjoyed challenging myself to learn to sing harmony when I sang in the ward choir.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:17AM

I used to play the organ in Sacrament Meeting and Priesthood meeting (usually piano). I loved most of the hymns.
Since leaving the Church 25 years ago, I still miss being able to play the organ at Church.
I sometimes get out my old hymn book, sit down at the piano and play and reminisce. I still love the music, even though a lot of the lyrics are contrary to my current lack of belief.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:17AM

I hate most church music. I kind of like the upbeat music in black church’s but most Christian hymns sound like a funeral dirge.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 02:57AM

I was a Mormon organist and pianist. My organ teacher was a paid organist in the Presbyterian and also the Lutheran church, and he had a wonderful library of tuneful, heartfelt Protestant church music, which I purchased for myself, for easier preludes. For the postludes, I would play Bach, Mozart, Handel, and other Greats. The Mormons killed music for me, when they wouldn't tolerate anything but Mormon-written music or the few really bad Mormon hymns. The new hymns were not written by musicians, IMO, and had no melody, and very little harmony, if any. All of the hymns were led by the conductor (whom I had to follow) at about half the speed indicated at the top of the page. Thus, any remaining old hymns were turned into dirges. Dirges!

I had been free of the cult for a few years, but I was still recovering from the abuse, when my TBM daughter and her TBM family moved in with us, temporarily. My TBM granddaughter began taking piano lessons, and we were enjoying that, but her teacher quit, and the teacher that took her place had her playing the Mormon hymns. My granddaughter was so proud that she could play them, and practiced them over and over again. The hymns triggered my PTSD, big-time! Once again, the Mormons were invading my home, with their noise and propaganda. I would get extremely anxious, and would have to leave the house, because I felt like screaming! Finally, I asked the piano teacher to give my granddaughter songs that had more "universal, popular appeal" and could be played for "social occasions." My granddaughter started playing piano at her school, and accompanying the choir, etc, and lost interest in Mormon music, fortunately.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 04:13AM

No, I’m fine in an LDS church service until someone at the podium says some stupid sh*t. Maybe I should make up bingo cards.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 04:26AM

I think I reached the point of not being able to stand attending “church” before that point.
Still, every now and again a “church” hymn or primary song will come into my head. It’s a nauseating moment, and I think these songs assist with the brainwashing. I mean, they’re in my head after ten years, whereas mormon “scripture” no longer is.
I conducted the music in both sacrament and primary at various points. I never enjoyed doing that, and didn’t enjoy the songs. I absolutely love music and have a great appreciation for it. Mormonism makes everything in life so boring, and it’s music is pretty crap.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 01:13PM

I was a pianist for mutual and primary and SM on the organ for a while. I had to learn to play it barely--in the singles ward.

I don't even play the piano anymore, though I have a very nice old upright grand piano that I bought in my 20s. It just sits there and I dust it. When I had twins, it was impossible to be able to play the piano, so I got out of the habit. I usually only played hymns to practice for when I had to play at church.

I actually do really like "How Great Thou Art"--but I'm not even sure if I believe there is a God. I just like the song.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.