Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 06:29PM

Rather than hijack the post that inspired this rant, A new thread has appeared.

Other than getting rid of his personal bugaboo "mormon" all of the recent "revelations"/changes are part of a years long plan to mainstream TCOJCOTDS into a mainline evangelical faith. It will be shortened to Jesusland or something else later.

While I have written in the past about the cash flow crunch TSCC is in, I may have been wrong, and they do have the cash to survive the transition. If they can successfully mainstream they have a better chance of gaining power on a more national level.

The failure of Romney to secure the presidency after dragging the church into the national limelight made them realize they cannot get any member of the faith into the levels of power they truly crave until they can change the public perception.

Garments will be temple only, hiding the exclusive club in plain sight. For those who are temple worthy, 2nd annointings will increase for business and political leaders.

WOW will be "all things in moderation".

Those are the last two changes that have to be launched for complete mainstreaming(at least to the public).

The temple ceremony has already been changed to allow gay marriage when the time comes.

They have handled the abuse issues(perception not reality).

They have insulated the children further from outside influence, and made home study so important that the fanatics will keep their kids in long enough to create true believers or jack mormons - both of which continue to think they are superior to the fence sitters, the questioners, and the converts.

That is all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 07:56PM

I give GBH credit for at least cultivating media relations. In those days, news organizations treated the church with respect rather than derision.

Rusty’s rebranding isn’t fooling anyone except for the already fooled. He isn’t going to find the “kick me” note taped to his pants.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 08:24PM

If Russ grants a press interview with someone unbiased as to ChurchCo & Mormonism (doubtful especially with spontaneous questions allowed) , … One Question will top the list:

Mr. Nelson: Are you a prophet of God who received revelations directly from God?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 08:40PM

icanseethelight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Garments will be temple only
> WOW will be "all things in moderation".

> The temple ceremony has already been changed to
> allow gay marriage when the time comes.

Whatever you've been 'tokin, be sure to save Plenty for the rest of us!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: August 18, 2019 11:58PM

Well I'd say they're forever stuck with the name long ago given to the earliest apostates and popular ever since.

Using 'Jack Latter Day Saints' as an epithet doesn't quite convey the same stigma as 'Jack Mormon'.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 12:29AM

They just double downed on coffee and tea. I don't see the ban on alcohol ever being lifted.

Garments are a means of controlling the masses. They'll never give that up.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 01:22AM

contributed to the lives of members of the church (let alone to the world as a whole).

As far as members of the church are concerned, you really could just have a set of 15 mannequins or wax figures, brought out dressed up in business suits for public viewing and photographs on special occasions. What would be the difference in comparison to what they have now with these stuffed shirts who are, apparently, living human beings?

Most of the core practices and beliefs were settled a hundred years ago.

The WoW and WoW-related policies were pretty much set in stone by prohibitionist fanatic Heber J. Grant almost 100 years ago (no smoking, no tea, no coffee, no booze, no marijuana, no illegal drugs).

The temple stuff (garments, handshakes, etc.) is pretty much the same as a hundred years ago. The only differences are the incremental deletions of the most embarrassingly idiotic features, like the bloody death oaths, etc.

Now, the biggest, boldest, earth-shattering "revelations" that they can come up with is that church meetings on Sundays should be reduced from 3 hours to 2 hours, Mormons should stop calling themselves Mormons and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir needs a new name.

Think about it. Combine the salaries, benefits (including free tuition for kids at church universities) and expenses (travel, offices, staff, etc.) of maintaining the First Presidency and the Quorum of 12 Apostles and you're probably talking about an budget of nearly 100 million per year.

Are they worth it? To anyone?

Hell, if the members of the church had asked me to be in charge, I would have been happy to scold them about calling themselves Mormons and I would have been happy to reduce their meetings on Sundays from 3 hours to only 1 hour. I would have even renamed the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for them. And the important thing is this. I would have been willing to do ALL THAT for only $100,000. And as an extra bonus, I would have deleted an additional 3 items from the temple ritual and would have gotten a "revelation" to allow moderate tea and coffee drinking FOR FREE.

Members of the LSD Church need to start being smarter consumers. Shop and compare. Get more value for your money. That's my advice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.