Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 01:20PM

I read in the Church News Russell M Ballard is celebrating the church has had great success steering away from the word Mormon and focusing on the real name of the church. He celebrated changing all the website URL’s and the phone operators at church headquarters using the proper name of the church.

What’s hilarious is the big push to eliminate the name Mormon has come after an extensive media campaign called “I am a Mormon”.

I guess when you really don’t have any real success like church growth or even retaining members you invent some. We aren’t calling ourselves Mormon anymore! Woooo hooooo!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 02:32PM

The next media campaign will be “I am a Mormon again because the new name was too long”

Date: August 19, 2019 03:44PM

Ha! Ha! I ran a few businesses and know a few things about marketing. The name is too long. It’s a mouthful to say. Since Gordon B Hinkley had some experience in public relations he knew better. Nelson is an egghead. They don’t get PR or marketing. He does not understand why the name really doesn’t work and why a two syllable nick name became used. Church of Christ is too vague. Too many church’s by that name. Heck. The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints had even a longer name. They wisely chose Community of Christ. Short and different enough.

Well The LDS have enough money to keep making mistakes but it’s going to catch up with them. The church hit it’s peak and is now on the decline side of the curb. They have nothing to sell that people want. They will keep doing silly stuff trying to claim success in something. Silly pet programs that they will point at and say we were inspired.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 09:40PM

It's called:

"DEATH BY SYLLABLES"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 03:52PM

It's very convenient when it comes to promulgating a supposed 'truth' to belong to a group that believes what their leadership tells them, and thus 'knows' that when supposed facts contradict that 'truth', that those facts are wrong.

Yay for mormons and anti-vaxxers!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 04:08PM

LDS Inc understands PR perfectly well. They know the name change is going to be a heavy lift and is a terrible idea from a PR point of view. That's precisely why I think they have a long term plan to back away from the BoM because it is irredeemably racist.

They can't rewrite the whole damn book, and "God likes white skin" is woven through the entire thing. I think they plan to "de-emphasize" the book completely in a generation or two, but they can't do that with the nickname Mormon hung around their necks.

Hinckley tried to bite the bullet, but caved when he saw how difficult the name change was going to be. Nelson spent his life not in PR, like Hinckley, but in surgery, where you don't let pain stop you from doing what needs to be done.

Personally, I think Hinckley was right to cave. He went back to putting lipstick on the pig. Nelson is attempting plastic surgery. But it's still going to be a pig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 04:10PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: August 20, 2019 03:30AM

Interesting observation. It would make sense the LDS take the Community of Christ approach for long time survival. Agreed. The Book of Mormon is too racist and if they really wanted to get away from the word Mormon they would rename the Book of Mormon to “An American Testament of Christ” or something similar.

I still think it’s a 94 year old man making changes to make changes more than some long-term strategy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 09:54AM

> I still think it’s a 94
> year old man making changes
> to make changes more than
> some long-term strategy.

Yeah, I think too much credit is being given to the existence of a brain-trust running the church. The best brains they have are probably the ones tending to the investments.

After all, we know Rusty wanted to go this route quite some time ago and got slapped down. But now that he's the head of the whole shebang, the change has been put in place. There was never any serious consideration of what the outcome would be because he, Rusty, is convinced that the ghawd is working through him.

And who dares challenge him? You know there has to be a cabal just waiting for him to die so that their guy, who they know speaks directly to ghawd, will be able to set things straight.

What can we reliably count on for Absolute Power to do?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 10:27PM

there are other churches with really long names that are led by real nut jobs. How about:
1 "the united house of prayer for ALL people" (led by "Sweet-Precious-Daddy-Grace", it's a cult!)

2 "the Church of the Lamb of God of Ervil Lebaron polygamists" (another sick cult, where they mow down people they don't like)

3 "Beaver lick christian church"

https://www.oddee.com/item_97069.aspx

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 12:48AM

Jesus and the Jaredites

Now they need to get busy building their barges!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 12:48AM by messygoop.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 06:40AM

The cost of owning everything bad that is attributed to the name 'Mormon' is higher than the cost of having an uncomfortably long church name. The Mormon church is trying to escape the consequences of its own past mis-deeds. They have no where else to go nor a feasible reason that people might buy, than to take their present course of changing what they call themselves and adding more Jesus. They use 'Jesus' to justify their existence. When people start using words like 'cult', the church leaders add more Jesus like a cook might add more sugar and salt to a bitter meal that people might otherwise find difficult to swallow. So for the mormon church, Jesus is just a commodity to be used if/as needed to get people to buy their bitter product. Just add more of the word 'Jesus' to the name and to the discussion. It costs nothing and buys legitimacy while the real underlying product is still Mormonism and the ugly things that go with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 06:43AM by azsteve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.