Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 02:24PM

Ever hear of "The Last Podcast on the Left?"

I just got clued in that these commedians are doing an in depth series of pod casts on Mormonism. I only listened to a little but they likened the Prophet to a leader at the top doing his own brand of Improv. at his comedy club. Haha. Killed me. Can't wait to hear more.

According to my nevermo co-worker who tipped me off it is hysterical and all his friends are listening.

So, EOD. This is for you.

I hope this works:

https://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/10903635

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 04:30PM

Gracias, cuate! Lo escucharé en cuanto llego a casa.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 20, 2019 05:12PM

Sounds like they are planning a 5 hour series. They seem to know what they are talking about, except one of them didn't know how to pronounce apostate. What I heard was interesting, but found myself wishing they would move along and spend a little less time being amused by their own clever quips. An image of self-impressed frat boys was starting to gel in my mind.

I can live with that if they've done their homework, and based on the half hour I listened to, sounds promising.

Date: August 20, 2019 05:25PM

Thanks for the slant, BoJ. I'm going to listen to the first one tonight. I just like the idea of it coming from Nevermo's as the point of view from someone who has no investment in neither the church nor of being an exmo of it and that they consider it fodder for humor.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 12:50AM

if a lot of nevermo comedians begin to discover how deep the comedy gold mine of Mormonism really is.

Because so many haven't really dug into it, they probably think that polygamy and church-issued underwear pretty much covers it.

But those things are just scratching the surface. Of course you have to be willing to delve into some dark humor (as most modern comedians are anyway) to get to some of the comedy ore that is down in the mine shafts of Mormonism.

You can start with the Book of Mormon beheadings. You got your Laban decapitation. Then you got Shiz losing his head (probably after losing his shiz). Then you got the lady who dances a skanky dance and is rewarded with the beheading of her grandfather or something like that. And if you get tired of beheadings, the Book of Mormon spices things up with literal disarmings and some cannibalism.

And once the nevermo comedians start digging into the story of the translation of the golden plates, using a turd-sized, turd-colored rock in a hat...well...the jokes should pretty much write themselves...almost as easy as having a pet rock showing them to you.

Then there's Fanny in the barn.

Then there's one of the famous "Witnesses" of the Book of Mormon telling everyone that Joseph Smith confessed that he often had a hard time distinguishing revelations from god from his own thoughts or even revelations from the Devil. If you can't stand back in hilarious amazement upon hearing about this "confession of a prophet" you just don't have a sense of humor.

And then there was the time when Joseph Smith was feeling like sleeping around with a lot of different women felt so good that it couldn't be wrong, but he wanted to be sure, so he asked god and, surprisingly enough, god confirmed to Joseph that not only was it good, but it was commanded...at least it was a commandment to Joseph Smith. Who could've seen that coming? But who's to argue against a revelation from God (and don't worry about the "confession of a prophet" referred to above because, in Joe's case, he probably knew that it couldn't be wrong because he knew it felt so right...just as so many pop song lyricists preached in the 20th century).

And then there's the whole thing about a group in the Book of Mormon numbering around 20 people breeding so fast that they created a population numbering in the millions within just 3 generations or so...and rabbits all around the world became ashamed of themselves and their lack of ambition.

These are just a few examples of the tons of raw material in Mormonism that is waiting for more attention from comedians.

Date: August 21, 2019 10:19AM

"Then you got the lady who dances a skanky dance and is rewarded with the beheading of her grandfather or something like that. "

LAUGHING MY ASS OFF, Wally. YOU need to go public. You have the gift. I had to top this just for that line alone.

"so...and rabbits all around the world became ashamed of themselves and their lack of ambition." Are you kidding? That is hysterical. Best two and half minute talk ever?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 10:55AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Then you got the lady who dances a skanky dance
> and is rewarded with the beheading of her
> grandfather or something like that. "
>
> LAUGHING MY ASS OFF, Wally. YOU need to go
> public. You have the gift. I had to top this
> just for that line alone.
>
> "so...and rabbits all around the world became
> ashamed of themselves and their lack of ambition."
> Are you kidding? That is hysterical. Best two
> and half minute talk ever?
==========

It's the deadpan delivery ;-D

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 11:16AM

I want Wally's take on Abraham's son sacrifice. The Kierkegaard in me needs a funny spin on that killing his son softly with his god.

Date: August 21, 2019 11:15PM

of the dialog between Abraham and God that took place right after God's messenger stopped Abraham from plunging his knife into Isaac's rapidly beating heart.

Sometime afterwards, God asked Abraham to participate in a debriefing because God was worried that Abraham was dangerously inclined to interpret idioms too literally. God's suspicions were confirmed when Abraham showed up, holding his underpants in his right hand, saying, "I took the liberty of getting a head start on the debriefing."

That's not in the transcript.

Here's the transcript:

Abraham: "But I'm sure you said that you wanted me to go on a hike in the wilderness with Isaac and do some bonding with him."

God: "Yes, Abraham, BONDING. Not BINDING."

Abraham: "Well, you have to admit they're pretty similar. Not only that, but you also told me that I should also take that opportunity to find out what's in Isaac's heart."

God: "Hence the knife, Abraham?"

Abraham: "Well, how else was I going to find out what's in his heart?"

[Sound of thunder is heard as God smacks his own forehead in divine amazement....]

God: "Okay, Abraham. I think we're through here. I realize I'm going to have to be much more careful in my communications with you in the future. You can go now, and please be sure to take your underpants with you."

Abraham: "Darn, right you need to be more careful. Do you know how much time I wasted getting together all those binding cords...and I had to borrow that knife from Sarah's brother and you know how much I hate that guy."

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 11:47PM

God: “If you’re that dumb, you might as well chop the end off of your penis.”

Date: August 21, 2019 11:57PM

he had not yet returned the knife to Sarah's brother and Abraham, being a man of action and few words, got to work...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 22, 2019 01:02PM

LOL! That was great.

Date: August 21, 2019 11:39PM

some kind of lap dance or striptease dance. Why else would Akish be willing to murder the dancing girl's grandfather? I doubt a fine little ballet number from Swan Lake would be sufficient motivation. The Charleston probably wouldn't do the trick either.

It was probably like the Daughter of Jared was doing all kinds of moves that she thought were really sexy, but at first she was too unsure of herself and kept looking over at Akish's face to see if he was really getting into it, and those little glances and questioning looks were ruining the effect. Akish was neither impressed nor aroused.

Akish: Sorry DoJ, I'm just not feeling it. I'm kinda thinking that I really don't want to murder Omer.

DoJ: Well, how about this? Or this? Or how about this one?

Akish: Nah. My mother does those moves. Not sexy.... Oh, wait! What was that last thing you did, with your left arm coming around from behind and the way you did that thing with your foot? I kinda liked that....

DoJ: You mean this? Yeah I can do this. Want me to get closer while I do it?

Akish: Uh-hum...whoa! Oh, yeah! That's the DoJ I was hoping for! Hey, Homer! The hit on Omer is back on!

Homer: Okay, boss. Homer kill Omer.

Date: August 22, 2019 10:07AM

Haha ha. I know it's true.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 05:00AM

“and rabbits all around the world became ashamed of themselves and their lack of ambition”

L O L !!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 02:29PM

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 21, 2019 03:36PM

I love this... one of the RM at work informed me that he hated Bill Maher because he "lied" about the LDS MORmONS... So I watched his takes on the MORmONS and apparently he did his research and was spot on. You don't have to make this stuff up... and that's what makes it even funnier! I think the TBM's have a hard time with it because they have been lied to so much they can't discern what is true and what is not(or willfully ignorant which is worse). Case in point.. my brother posted a temple picture of JS translating the golden plates... my brother wrote underneath "historically inaccurate". My TBM uncle chimed in "what is inaccurate about the picture and my brother informed him that the picture should be of JS with a hat in a rock translating from a seer stone... TBM informed him that that was incorrect information. They don't know they're own history!

Posted by: Swimmingly ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 02:16AM

Love the whole thread, and can't read Wally's stuff enough. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.