Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 24, 2019 11:23PM

"SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah, Aug. 22, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A Salt Lake County man was arrested Thursday for allegedly beating his sons with a guitar when they wouldn’t get up for church.

A probable cause statement filed in Salt Lake County’s 3rd District Court said Lamatia Tapumanaia Sa, 61, was charged with with both felony and misdemeanor child abuse in the case.

According to the statement, the 14-year-old son was asleep in bed on the morning of June 30 when his father tried to wake him up for church.

When the teen fell back asleep the father “picked up a guitar and tried to strike him in the head,” the court documents said.

The 14-year-old managed to deflect the head blow, “which he blocked with his hand. He then sat up and Sa hit him with the guitar four more times times … causing a broken arm,” the statement said.

The defendant’s 17-year-old son told police he was awakened the same morning when Sa began beating him with the guitar. He said Sa didn’t stop until the guitar broke into pieces.

After being read his Miranda rights, Sa admitted to the beatings.

His bail has been set at $25,000."

https://gephardtdaily.com/local/salt-lake-county-man-allegedly-beat-sons-with-guitar-when-they-wouldnt-wake-up-for-church/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 12:37AM

I'd switch to hollow-bodied guitar, or upright piano, or harmonica.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 12:48AM

Yet Another BoM FAIL;

the Bible reads:

Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.

World's most perfect book? Hardly.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 04:19AM

I know it sounds harsh, but what if the kid’s playing was really that bad?

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 04:51AM

He needs to not see them again.

If he is married, I hope his wife has the sense to divorce him.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 12:28PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 25, 2019 02:55PM

Another fine example of agency.

Story reminds me of the family that left a young man in the desert because he changed his mind about serving a church mission.

At my house, the two most volatile, unhappy days were Sundays and Mondays. Both days were full of fighting about attending church and participating in family home evening.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 03:06AM

My ‘ex’ (from back in the day) used to get the belt from his father if he misbehaved. Not sure what he did that was so terrible, and if it included when he refused to go to church....but point is, his dad was the bishop.
What these adults don’t realise is that their behaviour just pushes children away. My parents were “strict” too - meaning I’d get smacked or punished for answering back, not towing the line, etc. Well, I just did it more because then I hated my parents.

I’m also glad in this case that the police were called. The point I am making, I think, is that I bet this isn’t the first time he lost his temper, and it just escalated. Some people can’t handle the word ‘no’ and because they are a parent they think they have the right to do what they want.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 04:34AM

“A Telecaster makes a hell of a club.” —-Kieth Richards—

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 05:30AM

I used to get slapped, pinched, grabbed by the hair and drug to the car. I learned to sneak a book and go out the door to the school next door and read on the swings. Hell, you can only listen to the "chewed gum" crap so many times.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 05:52AM

Still hanging out here, after all these years!

I'm glad I didn't go to the Mormon church as a kid. We didn't do religion of any kind until I told my parents that I wanted to be Catholic (because I was jealous of my best friends, three sisters up the street - they got to stay up for "Midnight Mass!!" Imagine, having a legitimate excuse to stay up so late!)

My parents said "NO!" in unison, and shortly thereafter, we began attending the nearby Presbyterian Church. I was disappointed to learn that the Presbyterians didn't have any equivalent to Midnight Mass. But they didn't have Catechism and hand-slapping nuns, either, so it all worked out.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 08:44AM

I was the type of child that I did whatever was asked of me, so I went off to church without protest. But the Catholic church was only about an hour on Sundays and another hour of religious instruction after school during the week. I don't think I could have taken three hours on Sundays.

Catnip, as a born-and-raised Catholic, I was always intrigued by the Midnight Mass as well. The adults loved it and looked forward to it. I was always too young for it. By the time I was old enough to go, my family was already inactive. And now on Christmas Eve, we are all sound asleep in our beds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 08:45AM by summer.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2019 07:28AM

They were probably just sleeping. Teens need an unusual amount of sleep.

Posted by: Warren Jeffs ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 09:03AM

How do we know this family are Mormons?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 09:25AM

My asshole cousin, who lives in Sandy, beat his kids when they didn't want to go to church. His daughter told me that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.