Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brit-exmo ( )
Date: August 29, 2019 05:42PM

Anyone going to Sunstone in London next week?

Be good to say hello to a few more apostates this side of the pond

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:21AM

I thought sunstone wasn’t for ex-mormons? But I’m confused, what is it about, is it for mormons? It doesn’t seem clear to me when I looked it up.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 10:44PM

Me too!

I can't quite nail down if it's SUPER-ULTRA TBM's talking to each other about the super deep doctrines or if it's super liberal mormons who think deep about certain subjects or if it's people half way out of the cult because they dug deep.

My uncle used to do a bunch with them as mentioned in this tribute: https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/in-memoriam-paul-swenson/

But that side of the family is hyper-ultra-nutjob mormon. There is no nuttier ultra-TBM as my dad - paul's brother Roy. So I can't imagine Sunstone is anti-mormon in any way right?

I don't care to spend a ton of time actually reading any of their articles - I guess that would answer my questions though huh?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 10:53PM

Levi,

Is yours the family that produced May Swenson, the poet, lo these many years ago? Perhaps your family has been touched by the muse.

Sunstone is for very liberal Mormons, NOMs, and ex-Mormons. Its content would almost certainly offend more conservative believers.

See the back issues in the archive at https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/magazine/.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 04:49AM

Yep, good old Aunt May.

My dad was a dipshit, but he came from a very interesting family. Lots of variety, lots of "figuring out oneself" from May to my Aunt Michael who was born Grace Magda and ended up being Michael Raine. She was an actress. There's stories there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 04:52AM by Levi.

Date: August 31, 2019 08:49PM

That's really cool, Levi.

May Swenson influenced a lot of other writers. She took that Mormon belief that all of nature had a numinous spark of the divine in it and used that intuition in her poetry even if she rejected (and was rejected by) Mormonism. Among her disciples are Terry Tempest Williams and Mary Oliver, the recently deceased poet. Aunt May left her mark on the world.

An interesting family indeed!

Date: September 01, 2019 08:32AM

I would love to go to an event and meet other ex mormons here in the uk. However, this seems a bit too ‘John Dehlin’ for my taste, and generally too faith promoting for me as an atheist. I’m glad there is something for people to go to though.

Posted by: Brit-exmo ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 06:52PM

Definatally not a Dehlin show!! There is no love lost between john and Sunstone!!!!

You will find mostly exmormons and a few liberals

Date: September 02, 2019 12:04AM

> You will find mostly exmormons and a few liberals

I know what you mean, but this is an unintentionally amusing sentence. It suggests that most exmormons are not liberals, which may be true!

Date: September 01, 2019 11:31AM

Have you been to one before and what was it like? (Curious).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.