Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tig ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:15AM

Beards are prohibited
Tattoos are OK

Personally, I don't have a problem with either one, but it seems like if Brother Jones was to show up at the local ward with a beard no one would really say much (unless he was on the bishoprick), But if he showed up with a new tattoo there would be a lot more tongue wagging....so why is it the exact opposite at BYU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:17AM

A beard is a sin that is easily repented. Not so, a tattoo.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:17AM

Because BYU means YBU.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:30AM

I think because tats became popular long after the tenure of Iron Fist Wilkinson.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:40AM

What if you have a tattoo that looks like a beard ?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 11:59AM

Are the football players sporting beards or tattoos? Because that's where the answer lies.

Date: August 30, 2019 12:03PM

What about mustaches ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:04PM

Only women can have mustaches at the Y.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 03:06PM

...and I just spit my Dr Pepper all over my screen..

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 07:54PM

That was good.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:04PM

Believe me, they hate tattoos too, buy they can't afford to exclude everyone who might have them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:14PM

He had friends who had tattoos from when they were in the service and in order to go to the temple, they had to have them removed.

My son's boss' wife (who he is good friends with) is still active mormon, but she got a few tattoos. She has to be in her 40s or 50s. Her new daughter-in-law doesn't like her because she has tattoos.

My son-in-law has a beard. It is actually more acceptable to have beards in the mormon community nowadays than it used to be, but my ex had a short beard most of our marriage. They didn't ask him to shave it when he was the ex. sec. He still has his beard. He doesn't look like a teenager if he has a beard (other than his gray hair).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 03:29PM

tig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beards are prohibited

No wives of gay men allowed.

> Tattoos are OK

All football players from The South Pacific are welcome.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 04:18PM

better name, but I can't remember what it is. Fruit flies maybe! Or something to do with fairies.

Date: September 03, 2019 11:29AM

I hope you remember. Fruit flies? WOW!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 09:50AM

>>All football players from The South Pacific are welcome.

That's what I was wondering. Of course if the school were completely welcoming to native peoples, they would allow longer hair as well.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 11:34PM

summer Wrote:
> ... if... completely welcoming to native (ALL) peoples, they would allow longer hair as well.

If mormonism was completely anything, that would be nice...

I wish it wasn't just natives that could have longer hair (/be more natural). I just play a native. That makes me very natural, which makes my hair grow. So, I just let it go! Do what it wants: look beautiful, have purpose, and MMM (Make Mormons Mad)...

What's it with the hair?
It's EVERYWHERE! It should be.

Date: September 03, 2019 11:30AM

ufotofu Wrote:
> What's it with the hair?

I wish I knew. It seems strange to worship a man with long hair.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 06:17PM

because they're uptight & worry what people think of them

(Haven't yet figure out --- nobody cares enough to think of them)

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 12:12AM

Everything is the ("exact") opposite [in 'mormondumb'] (at YBU).

It's all about the LOOK.
I got looks when I was there...
But then again, I look good!
As a non-moron. As ME.

Mormons wear tattoos: squares
They also have piercings: beliefs

They don't like Young People
Making their Own Way
Feeling Natural
And NORMAL

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 01:45AM

Maybe Rusty's lighted pen is rusty, and the 'revelation' (like blacks/PH) thing is Waiting, but Russ' voicemailbox is full...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 01:49AM

Brigham Young wouldn't be allowed into his own university because he had a beard. Jesus would not be welcome either. Shave the beard and get a hair cut you hippie! I don't think Brigham or Jesus had any tats or piercings.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 08:36PM

...and a beard.

"Sir, we'll have to ask you to leave."

Is it my sandals?

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 04:29AM

My tbm brother has a beard. Apparently this is completely fine in mormondoom now? He was on the bishopric. Tattoos being fine at BYU, I find hard to believe and I don’t understand that...They want non mormons to go perhaps to get converts. I didn’t think that was a thing either.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 04:58AM

Still laughing about Elderolddog's mustache comment....

My TBM SIL is in the bishopric, and he has tattoos, and wears a beard, off and on. These are fine for men, and not for women. The RS president has multiple holes in her ears, but on Sunday, wears only one earring per ear. Those empty holes look gross.

Many of the rules at BYU make no sense, and we girls tested the rules, and they failed:

We had "dorm hours" at Helaman Halls. If we came in late, after dorm hours, we were subject to punishments, such as cleaning the dorm bathrooms. (What is it with Mormons and bathrooms?) However, if we didn't go back to the dorm AT ALL, and stayed out ALL NIGHT, and spent the night who-knows-where, we could walk into the dorm anytime after 7:00 am the next morning, when they unlocked the doors, and no one would punish us. (There were random bed-checks, but those were bogus, and dorm-mates would say we were in the bathroom, or ironing, or cooking, or in the overflow room, or somewhere in the dorm. One year, there was a lovely girl on the bottom floor, who kept her window open a crack, for late entries--no questions asked.)

We weren't allowed into the campus movie in the Wilkinson Center wearing pants; but, we were allowed into the campus movie wearing no pants at all! (We were wearing knee-length coats, and took our pants off.)

We weren't allowed to wear bikinis or two-piece swim suits, or even one-piece modest swim suits at the Richards PE pool; but, we were forced to wear the "regulation" swim suits. These suits were so thin that every goose bump showed through. When the suit was wet, our breasts looked like we were naked, with black paint painted on. If we opted for the loose, baggy look, the neckline of the suit would be way too low. The regulation suits for the men made it clear who was circumcised or not.

No. Students were not allowed to wear another swim suit under the regulation suits. We tried that every time we went. Nope. At a YM/YW swim-and-stare party, we were so embarrassed, that we a few of us girls kept our bras and panties on under the regulation suits. The workers told us we could not wear any underwear under the suits. So, we wore our underwear OVER the regulation swim suits. This was a big hit at the party, until we were kicked out of the pool.

All this poses the questions, "What is modest?" and "What is moral?" and "What makes sense?"

Posted by: Arm pricker ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 09:44AM

Because you can remove a beard more easily than tattoos. A lot of tattoos are the relics of a previous life.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 09:56AM

I think beards are not allowed now because if they were, some of students would grow "crazy hermit in the wilderness" style beards, because frankly LDS Inc has more than it's fair share of crazy hermit in the wilderness types. Picture Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper.

Many people already consider Mormons to be nut-cases. LDS Inc does not want that meme to get any encouragement.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 10:19AM

For the same reason the very innocent and benign coffee is taboo.

If they can get you to obey a stupid ridiculous rule that stops you from doing some little nothing that you would enjoy, they can get you to do ANNNYYYTHHIIIIIING! They are re-setting your mind.

The only surprise is that they aren't telling people they can pray the tattoo away.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 10:59AM

Are females required to wear a bra to campus?

Date: September 01, 2019 04:21PM

What about piercings ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 04:52PM

Yes, they can pierce their bras.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 01:00AM

Can they have pierced nipples.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.