Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:37PM

Some of you might remember the poster En Sabbah Nur. He was often described as an “oafish buffoon.” And while that is true, he was and always will be MY oafish buffoon. Part of his oafishness has been an unwavering love of biblical scholarship in spite of leaving the church, whilst his buffoonery has afforded him a recent birthday. With our ages being similar, we have both turned “bitching.”

For you children, the “bitching” age is where you can still do things, but not without some serious bitching. “Sure. Let’s hike that mountain,” you’ll say, but will also add, “even though my thighs will rub together like sandpaper.” Or, “Sure, we can go to the gym. But I’m going to need a heating pad afterwards for my peanut brittle hips.” Yea even, “Sure, we can fly there, but I might need an international panel of astronomists to determine if my prostate is the size of a planet or merely a ‘captured object.’”

Anyways, En Sabbah Nur (or ESN for brevity’s sake) turned bitching, and we discussed what kinds of aging, oafish buffoonery we could get up to. Given my current convenient coordinates, we decided that the best way to celebrate would be to visit the Ark Encounter, Creation Museum, and Nauvoo. I’m going to leave the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum for another post. This post will be for Nauvoo.

I’ve written about Nauvoo before because I’ve been there, and that’s the oafish buffoonery that I prefer. ESN had not. Therefore, as we ventured forth to the Smith family’s sepulchre, I was raptorsplaining to ESN what to expect, and what we should consider for our itinerary. We rolled in early afternoon, on a Sunday. It was the best for our travel plans, but it’s not best for Nauvoo. The town, being a conglomerate of Christian faiths fighting against the helmetless Juggernaut that is Mormonism, was shut the fuck down. Except the town buffet.

Which. We. Uh. Left early Sunday morning to catch. And made reservations. Because if you’re going to go to Nauvoo, please go to the buffet. Yes, it’s pricey given the area, but it’s just too hilarious to not miss. You can’t not go to Nauvoo and shouldn’t don’t not un miss it, is what I’m saying.

The food is all the things you’d eat at a Mormon funeral in Utah. And this is Nauvoo. So...the buffet is really for Joseph Smith Junior. Everyday. And that’s a death worth celebrating. Anytime.

Before I move on, I won’t be using Joseph Smith Junior anymore. After coming to a very familiar understanding with both his corpse and his spirit, I will be referring to him as Joju. It’s a name we’ve mutually agreed upon. And as someone in a unique position to speak for him after his passing and unexpected resurrection, he prefers that name.

With that being said, Nauvoo shuts the fuck down on Sunday…. I may have mentioned that. We buffeted. And then we double checked that Carthage Jail did tours on Sunday. Which might have been the original plan. To go to Carthage first. But then don’t miss the buffet on Sundays. In Nauvoo. Anyways, ESN and I cheesed it to Carthage jail to do some touring, then we’d catch Nauvoo in the morning, when everyone stopped paying attention to god to start paying attention to paying tourists.

Carthage is a cute drive away from Nauvoo. If you haven’t done anything along the Mississippi, I would recommend it. There’s nothing like a horrifying body of water to give you perspective. When we arrived to Carthage Jail, it was busy. We were clearly not the only ones who found out that Nauvoo was shut the fuck up on Sundays, but we were clearly the only “non-Mormons.”

And I’d like to explain that. Mormon divided by Non hyphen Mormon can sometimes come down to physical appearance. For myself, I look like Porter Rockwell with two exceptions. One: my clothes. This isn’t Red Dead Redemption; this is real life. Although I have unlocked that Porter Rockwell outfit in game, my real life attire for summer is a black t-shirt and camo shorts. And Two: my eyes. Where Porter Rockwell was constantly searching to destroy his next victim. My eyes have seen a million faces, and I’ve rocked them all.

ESN’s outfit had a “touch of the fairies.” This is a “fairly” common post christian malady, where a “fairly” Christian male dresses and looks like any white, heterosexual male in middle class Americana hell trying to drown something into heteronormative banality. But his heart and thoughts would belie those notions. However, that is fairly outside the parameters of the story.

Full disclosure: we did have a backstory for our characters being there at Carthage Jail just in case we were asked questions about what in the fuck we were doing there, or perhaps why the fuck we were there. You never know on a Mormon tour. There’s a chance that an aging missionary will actually be prompted by the spirit upon seeing us and demand, “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?” It’s a small, statistically improbable chance. But I like to be prepared. Which, spoiler alert, paid off.

We agreed that we were but two wayfaring men of grief. Writing partners who sometimes deal with American religions. Which is true. It just omits large sections of who we are. And that’s half metaphor, half foreshadowing to the shitshow that we willfully waded into.

In order to see Carthage Jail and keep the giggles to yourself, you must first check in to the visitor’s center - which looks like unto any common church - with some missionaries. They give you a ticket with a time for the tour you’re going on, and then you have to watch a movie before you can see any kind of shit.

Last time I was in Nauvoo, the movie was about Joju. It was one of those church productions that made him super folksy, super prophet. Like unto, he’d be all in his dress shirt, and someone would be like unto, “Oh, god. Sawing this log is so fucking hard. I just can’t do this shit on my own.” And Joju, would laugh, and then grab an extra ax just fucking lying around, and just start whacking away at that wood before meeting another group of Mormon men who would challenge Joju to a leg wrestling competition. And of course Joju would win, and the men would be like unto, “What powerful thighs you have, Brother Joju.” And he’d respond, “All the better to steal your wife from you, my dear.” And they’d be like unto, “What?” But then they’d be interrupted by a stuffy, old preacher from a non-Mormon denomination who would be all like unto, “Surely, a prophet wouldn’t carry on in such a disgraceful manner.” But then Joju’d be like unto, “Remember in the bible when god wrestled that guy so long and hard, his hip popped out?” And the preacher would shrug and say, “You’ve got me there. That is exactly what happened in the bible.” And that’s how you knew that Joju was a true prophet. He wasn’t some stuffy old fuck in all black who didn’t remember about scriptural pelvic injuries.

Well, this wasn’t that movie. Instead we got Holland minus Oaks giving his full jowled testimony of Joju. Which, if I had been a true outsider, would have made zero sense. The nice thing about having distance from the church, is that I could go into this tour seeing if it would make any sense to an outsider. Was this tour a historical story that could be followed? And the answer from the beginning was, fuck no.

Meanwhile, there was a couple in front of us, who could tell that we weren’t Mormons, and they did ask us nicely what in the fuck we were doing there. We gave them our little spiel as well as mentioning that Nauvoo was shut down. They told us that they’d be happy to answer any questions from the tour even though they weren’t missionaries, and also that there was a special pageant going on that night in Nauvoo that we should go to.

The tour continued, and once we got into the jail everything was about Joju’s innocence, and that everyone believed that he didn’t deserve to be in jail, and then he got special treatment from the jailor because he was a prophet, but people came to kill him, and there was a shootout, and prisoners had guns for some reason, but Joju was innocent, but he died from an angry mob that just formed out of nowhere, and then everything was sad, and what a beautiful martyr his bullet riddled corpse made, and none of it made any goddamned sense.

The couple who had been in front of us kept tabs on us throughout the tour, and I was honest with them when they asked, “Is this making sense?” I just said, “No. I’m more confused the further we go on.”

We got to the end, and there was the, “Does anyone have any questions?” and I couldn’t fucking help myself. My hand shot up, and I was like unto, “Uh, yeah, I just have some questions for clarification.”

And then shit went down. ESN and I weren’t trying to be rude, but we “had done some reading about Mormonism and Joju before coming, and we were trying to square some shit.”

I kept questions going with the professed innocence because, honestly, it’s a pet peeve of mine. While Mormons can pretend that Joju was innocent of all the crimes he was charged with, that needed to be proved in court. Joju struck a deal to surrender himself peacefully because the crimes he was charged with were fucking serious. Inciting a mob for the destruction of the printing press was the LEAST of the charges. The other was fucking TREASON. He agreed to go to that god damn prison peacefully, because the other alternatives included another Mormon war, or a fucking rope and a tree. So, I’m not accepting this bullshit about “standing blameless like Jesus.” Because I hate to burst another bubble, but Regular Jesus DID NOT STAND BLAMELESS before Pilate. If Regular Jesus had actually “cleansed the temple” like unto it says in the gospels, that would have also been a fucking act of sedition against Rome, and would have been punishable by crucifuckingfixion.

Now of course, I didn’t say it like unto what I just wrote, but my questions were pointed in a way of Joju’s death being a historical story that can be retold through some key events that are well documented. And it was so frustrating when both of us asked simple questions that shouldn’t have been threatening, and were stonewalled.

I asked about the printing press, and its contents multiple times, and all I got was, “the press was printing lies. Slander. Terrible things. Horrible untruths.” And finally I said, “But does it matter? He can’t just burn down a printing press critical of him without consequences. That in of itself is breaking the law. Something he’d have to answer for in court.” At that point the tour guide was done with us. She didn’t know anything, and refused to answer even if she did know. So, other people on the tour stepped up to answer questions that we had. Some of which they knew, some of which they didn’t. And oddly, my point had nothing to do with belief, so much as it was this growing frustration that no one could tell a coherent story about Joju’s death, and if they didn’t know something, they couldn’t just say, “I’m not sure.” Some of my questions, I knew the answers to, but some of my questions, I didn’t. I was genuinely curious, as an outsider would be. So, I didn’t know somethings, and I was admitting that through my questions. The answers on the other hand….

Finally, it was just time to go. The people who stayed to chat with us about our burning questions, thanked us for our “thoughtful questions dealing with difficult history,” or some such bullshit, and in the nicest way that I could, I was like unto, “This wasn’t a historical tour. It didn’t make any sense, and nobody seemed to know shit.”

We left to go back to the hotel before the pageant, where we did more research. We found the droids we were looking for on the internet. Which hilariously we were warned about. “You have to be careful what you read about Mormons on the internet.” Ha. Ha. But nobody else seems to know shit, so where else would you go?

Lastly, we went to the pageant. And to borrow a line from a great philosopher, “While I didn’t regret going. I did both rue and lament it.”

There was a plague of fireflies. Or “lightning bugs” if you were born in the wrong place. The stage lights fucked with their OnStar systems, and we were swarmed with delicious bioluminescence. That part was cool. For us. The bugs were miserable. The music was all stolen songs picked for their emotional pungency. That was miserable for me. ESN loved every second of the music. He loved it so much, he yelled about it to me the whole car ride home until I put on Rebecca Black’s “Friday.” Relearning the days of the week always help calm the oafish buffoonery inside.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: En Sabah Nur (nli) ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:45PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 12:55PM

IN ~ on Raptor Jesus thred ~

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 01:12PM

“I will be referring to him as Joju. It’s a name we’ve mutually agreed upon. And as someone in a unique position to speak for him after his passing and unexpected resurrection, he prefers that name.”

How’s Joju’s spirit wives and millions of kids?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 01:34PM

But wait, you didn't tell us about the buffet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 01:34PM by cl2.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 07:04PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But wait, you didn't tell us about the buffet.

I have to admit, I was hoping for more details about that as well.

Date: August 31, 2019 07:06PM

There's not much else to say. The first time I was there, the waitress visibly pulled away from me when I ordered a whiskey. This time, a different waitress just needed clarification on what "neat" meant.

The hotel it's hosted in has tried to maintain an air of "originality" to the decor; so, you have this white settler 1800's faux victorian gaudiness throughout. Dining in the pink room makes one wonder if dolls will come to life to wreak havoc upon unsuspecting Nauvooian gastronomers. The main dining area is laid out like a fake garden of eden. En Sabbah Nur joked that it should be called the Garden of Eaten, but that place already exists in central Utah.

The food is very inoffensive to aging white Americans. Turkey and gravy, various potatoes, steamed vegetables with plenty of melted cheese available. Even though we are at the bitching age, ESN and I were amongst the youngest diners there. As well as in town with the exception of the hordes of missionaries who never once accosted us.

I think it was because they knew just how big of an oafish buffoon ESN was.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 09:55AM

Thank you for returning and reporting. Great read.

BTW, your ordering whisky was very much in keeping with invoking period correct ambiance. JoJu's Nauvoo House was supposedly known for having the largest bar on the Mississippi outside of New Orleans.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 01:53PM

Were there any skin tones present, other than pasty?

I'd like to go one day, but will I be asked to bus tables at the buffet?

Date: August 31, 2019 07:09PM

Most everyone around was white. All of the serving and wait staff were. The only exceptions were some of the missionaries. Just like unto Temple Square, the church can pull from its worldwide network of paying missionaries to showcase "diversity" in its most visible places.

Date: September 03, 2019 02:25PM

My first reaction was "HELL!"

It is always nice to read your posts and so great to see Raptor's posts as he makes us all laugh, too.

I like your description of the buffet. I can see it and taste it. Not exactly the place I'd want to eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 02:26PM by cl2.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 02:26PM

"I may have mentioned that. We buffeted."

Was this anything like unto the buffetings of Satan?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 03:05PM

Tale of Two Tours Part 1 was exceedingly delightful. I could only find one error: "fireflies" is actually Satan's correlated term for the more correct "lighting bugs". ;p

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 03:12PM

Excellent. Most excellent adventure.

My favorite part is...

"And they’d be like unto, “What?” But then they’d be interrupted by a stuffy, old preacher from a non-Mormon denomination who would be all like unto, “Surely, a prophet wouldn’t carry on in such a disgraceful manner.” But then Joju’d be like unto, “Remember in the bible when god wrestled that guy so long and hard, his hip popped out?” And the preacher would shrug and say, “You’ve got me there. That is exactly what happened in the bible.” And that’s how you knew that Joju was a true prophet. He wasn’t some stuffy old fuck in all black who didn’t remember about scriptural pelvic injuries."

Joju is an epic "New Name." I wonder what Briggie's could be?

Thanks for taking the time to entertain!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 11:55PM

How about "Longbeard?"

(Hey, I'm trying to keep this family-friendly.)

Date: September 03, 2019 11:22AM

The adventures of Joju The Profiteer and Longbeard The Pirate. Perfect.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 03:59PM

The Pageant was the most disappointing aspect of Nauvoo. Since Nauvoo is, as far as I understand, a primarily Mormon tourist destination, I expected the Pageant to feature some of the kookier elements of Mormon history: 18-year-old white kids in brown face and silly mock-native costumes extolling the virtues of Joju's racist novel, castratis in Nikes drinking koolaid and hopping on Elohim's Magical Comet to Kolob, folks wearing stone eyewear and waving dowsing rods at other men's wive's privates, and the like.

Nope. We witnessed, instead, a community theater off-Broadway Revue that cobbled together songs from Disney's Hercules, Fiddler on the Roof and the music of Sarah Mclachlan to tell the story of generations of insufferably cute assholes breeding and raising their spawn, who in turn do some snuggles, pop out children and appropriate songs from groups whose lifestyles and ideologies they find abominable.

I think there was one young black woman in the cast. The rest were Idaho White. At least two of the men were noticeably gay, but the only couplings discussed were hetero-Caucasian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 04:23PM by En Sabah Nur.

Date: August 30, 2019 04:17PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 30, 2019 06:06PM

Thanks for the entertaining account. Your tour seems so similar to my tour of several years ago.

Carthage "The mob murdered an innocent man(Sob, Sob, Sob)

Nauvoo was more fun. The missionary guide was an old farmer from the arid West. Someone in the group asked him about farming at Nauvoo "HELL, they don't farm here. They just put seed in the ground in the Spring and harvest in the Fall. Rain does all the work."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 08:48PM

Hello you two! I see that the Mormons were doing their level best to explain the unexplainable. Looking forward to your next report.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:56AM

I'll be gawd damned!

I just blew all my morning coffee onto the computer screen...

Great to see you back and in rare form...

~Breedum

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 08:00PM

Thank you! You brightened my dreary Monday!

Date: September 23, 2019 08:04PM

The day after this tour we had a chance to discuss Nauvoo history at length with the Community of Christ's resident historian, which Raptor details in Part 2.

I was bothered by the manufactured sentiment at Carthage; the house had been used as a residence after Joju's shootout with the mob, yet here we were touring a iron-bar prison cell which was clearly not there while it was a private homestead.

The door with the bullet hole bothered me. I cannot imagine that such a gruesome reminder of the violence that had taken place there in previous years. They had an explanation for this: the door had been removed but was "found" by someone sometime "later." The Community of Christ folks didn't have issue with that narrative, but I'm still not convinced that the door is original, particularly not after something else that troubled me was explained.

Wasn't there supposed to be a bloodstain on the floor of the room where Joseph and Hyrum were shot? I looked and looked yet never saw it.

Turns out that a stain HAD been on the floor. The church used to have it under plexiglass to preserve it for viewing by any pilgrims passing through who wanted to see the macabre remnant of the martyrdom. But the stain wasn't blood. It was iodine. See, the family that lived there some years after Joe and Hyrum ate it, in order to make a few bucks off of the Mormons skulking about their property, charged a nickel or two to the travelers to see the "blood of the martyrs."

It was made up. Just like the cage upstairs. And, in my opinion, the bullet hole in the door.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 08:10PM

> It was made up. Just
> like the cage upstairs.
> And, in my opinion, the
> bullet hole in the door.

Excuse me...

What wasn't made up? I mean other than the deflowering of maidenly virtue... But even that was for made-up reasons!

Date: September 23, 2019 08:17PM

Oh, there's plenty of actual history there, but I got you: Joseph Smith was a master bullshitter, and the Utah church yes-anded on his lies to an absurd degree, then lacquered over everything with a fresh PR veneer.

The sites maintained by the Community of Christ have been restored and contain period-authentic set-dressings that are not original to the locations, but they're at least up front about that.

Date: September 24, 2019 12:42PM

PR = Prophetic Revelations in 19th Century
PR = Public Relations in 20th Century

Mormons were onto something...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.