Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mootman ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 02:26PM

I first learned about this from a tweet from Kate Kelly, here is the link:

https://twitter.com/Kate_Kelly_Esq/status/1166031580546121729

So if you go to the official website of the mormons (link below), they have published parts of the official Church Handbook. (for those who don't know, this is like scripture for the bishops and stake presidents for how to do all the official procedures).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies-and-guidelines/selected-church-policies

Scroll down to section 21.1.34 and right there in black and white, official procedures state: "WHEN REFFERRING TO CHURCH MEMBERS... 'MORMONS' IS ACCEPTABLE."
thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 02:28PM

When fighting a stupid war, sometimes the best strategy is to declare victory and retreat.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 03:56PM

Haha! The victory was making some names changes to church auxiliaries. Oh the church is more christlike because the choir name changed. That's Russ' mega vitamins in action!

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 03:06PM

Wow. It's almost like the name changes (LDS,mormon), from the profit's revelation wasn't so inspired. How is that even possible?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 03:19PM

How is it possible?

Because some members realize that not everything that their profit blathers is from gawd. I think a lot of people have been in situations when some authority figure spouts off a petty opinion that makes no sense.

Nelson went too far in the 1990s as a "junior seniority apostle" with his crackpot idea and he only pushed it again last year as to put dead Hinkley in his place for humiliating him.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 03:55PM

I bet that was put in there because the local ward tight**s was threatening to rain down fire and brimstone on the backsliders who were calling themselves Mormon.

Sister Rasmussen’s sphincter was probably so tight it would snap a pencil, and the bishop needed something official looking to calm her down.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 04:00PM

Haha! Can't have those levels of anxiety. It will cause too many members to get frustrated and leave.

Killing the word Mormon is like trying to eliminate cockroaches from the planet. Impossible.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 04:13PM

Now, let’s be fair to nature’s little scavengers.

Date: August 31, 2019 03:23PM

If Rusty reads this, he’ll need a fresh Depends. “This is mutiny, Mr Christofferson. Mutiny!”

Jesus hates when you say “Mormon”.
It’s okay, you can say “Mormon”.
Caffeinated sodas are against the WoW.
No, the prophet drinks them. It’s okay.
That guy’s dead now, don’t drink them.
You can’t be a member if your parents are gay.
Never mind, we like gays now. We made rainbow flags, see?

This is the “ongoing restoration”. Throw sh*t at the wall and see what sticks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 04:10PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 02:08PM

First, coffee was used by church members (Mormons)

Next, HOT DRINKS were prohibited.

Next, (1970's) de-caf coffee was OK'd

Next, All Coffee including beverages are prohibited (Not Sure if there are any MORMONS effected, ha ha...

Next: Who Knows?

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 03:39PM

If you can't believe everything a prophet says, why would you believe anything he says?

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 05:31PM

Good thing MoTab already gave up their name, oops, lol

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 05:58PM

Date: August 31, 2019 10:32PM

Ad campaigns after Rusty is gone:
- “I’m a Mormon - Again”
- “Meet the new Mormons, same as the old Mormons”
- “Come unto the Christ who can’t make up his mind”

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 02:22PM

Love these!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 12:44AM

President Nelson, the Prophet, President, Revelator and Seer for the Church has recently said the following:

----> "Taking the Savior’s name upon us includes declaring and witnessing to others—through our actions and our words—that Jesus is the Christ. Have we been so afraid to offend someone who called us “Mormons” that we have failed to defend the Savior Himself, to stand up for Him even in the name by which His Church is called?"

and

----> "And if we allow nicknames to be used or adopt or even sponsor those nicknames ourselves, He [Jesus] is offended."

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2018/10/the-correct-name-of-the-church?lang=eng

AND

The official church handbook, published on the official church website and currently in effect under the watchful eye of the above-named PPSR (President, Prophet, Seer & Revelator), says it's okay (lit. "acceptable") for members to be called "Mormons".

Logical conclusion: The official position of the Mormon church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) is that it is acceptable to FAIL to defend the Savior Himself and is acceptable to FAIL to stand up for Him. Offending Jesus is also acceptable.

Am I missing something? Is it a trick? Is there a "Simon Says" gotcha in there somewhere?

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 01:04AM

This will give all super-righteous mormons the chance to demonstrate their super-righteousness by continuing to insist on the long form name. A great way to virtue-signal, much like those who insist on temple weddings only, even though the option now exists for civil weddings followed by temple sealings.

Besides, it wasn't announced by His Rustiness over the pulpit, so some die-hard TBMs may never become aware of the handbook change.

After all, who sings "Follow the handbook, follow the handbook, follow the handbook, it knows the way"?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 01:00PM

I listened to "Music and the Spoken Word" and it was the Labor Day special presentation, "The goodness of work", or something like that this morning.

At the beginning and end, it was announced that it was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir coming from Temple Square.

I guess the MTC is having a hard time shaking off the Mormon bit.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 03:37PM

Holiday weekend - it may have been a rerun.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 01:15PM

Posted by: Infrequent Observer ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 04:38PM

I was curious to see if this was something new. So, I remembered that I had an old handbook 2 in my basement. I found the section mentioned and it's just as it is in this link. So, that means they haven't reversed, they just haven't gotten around to changing all the old stuff.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:08PM

Soon all church meeting properties will dawn the plaque: UNARMED VISITORS WELCOME.

This, in light of the new policy that forbids members to tote self-defense weapons while sitting ducks in a meeting.

It will only take a few massacres to see this revelation rushed into fact engraved-in-stone policy.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2019/08/27/the-mormon-church-just-made-parishioners-a-sitting-duck-for-wouldbe-attackers-n2552279

Soon Kevlar Garments will be sold to Latter-day Saints.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.