Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: August 31, 2019 10:42PM

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/maddie-nelson/
Does anyone know anything more about this? I can’t find out if she was LDS . I know it’s mild compared to what other stuff is out and used in Utah land

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 01:17AM

smoking (now vaping), taking shite into your lungs is One Thing*

Joe got right. Too many people 'knowing' the danger(s) choose to ignore them.

Thanks, Joe, this one's on You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 12:12PM by GNPE.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 07:57AM

I’d like to know the evidence the doctor has that this was definitely due to vaping, and if he was mormon. Mormons don’t like vaping and they’ve recently made a statement that it is not allowed.
I’ve been vaping for nearly 3 years after quitting smoking. I’ve noticed no side effects and that’s on 11 mg of nicotine and doing it quite a lot. This sounds like an extreme case. My SIL acted like I was using heavy drugs just because I was vaping, and started asking me about other drugs, as if I’d know. Ridiculous. It’s far less harmful than smoking and my lungs are all cleared up since quitting that. Vaping is quite common here and I’ve never met anyone who has had an ill effects from it. I bet this girl is mormon.
Having said that we don’t know yet what the effects of it will be, granted. And the vaping liquids are not regulated so it could be down to the particular liquid she was using. But I can’t help thinking this is scare mongering because it comes from Utah news.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 08:44AM

The oil in the liquids are the suspected causes of the vaping problems recently being reported.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/08/16/mystery-lung-illness-linked-vaping-health-officials-investigating-nearly-possible-cases/

Whether the girl is a Mormon or not, I don't know. Does it matter?

Date: September 01, 2019 08:58AM

No, I guess not; I’m just sore from family making out I was some kind of druggie because I do it. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are problems with vaping, I just know it is a lot safer than smoking - which is the world’s biggest killer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 12:18PM

At least in Joey's time the dangers of smoking (tobacco) weren't as obvious; I pretty much think that anyone with a brain would realize that smoking & vaping are hazards if not outright dangerous.

ChurchCo has to step in & warn those who are vulnerable regardless of the reasons, so I guess it's 'OK' but still has the color of GA micromanagement that cascades down to local leaders in silly statements & guidelines.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 11:52AM

Fascinating that human existence is so miserable that people have to mess with their brain to survive.

Booze, weed, caffeine, drugs, sniffing paint, nicotine - all the same purpose.

Date: September 01, 2019 12:01PM

Drinking a glass of wine is quite enjoyable, as is having a cup of coffee, or a bottle of Diet Coke. All are delicious. I don’t see anything wrong with that. And yes, addictions can be an unfortunate coping mechanism of human existence. But human existence being miserable isn’t the only explanation for using these substances. How about a more moderate view? Things are not always so black and white - that’s the mormon mindset.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 03:53PM

Screwdriver, hammer, drill, pipe wrench, level - all the same purpose.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 04:15PM

Ever eat anything with lots of sugar? Something with lots of fat? Because those influence brain chemistry and create a sense of mild euphoria.

Have you ever read a book or listened to music or taken a walk in nature? Because all of those activities are "messing with the brain," providing stimulus to render daily life more enjoyable.

How about going outside in the winter to get some sunshine? A lot of people do that to overcome seasonal affective disorder; it changes the balance of neurotransmitters.

If you think about it, virtually everything people choose to do is psychoactive, designed through brain chemistry to render life more pleasant. In fact the lack of psychoactivity is death.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 04:17PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 05:28PM

I drink coffee have an occasional beer and I would smoke marijuana if work (pee test) did not me allow to. I am not miserable but I love coffee , enjoy a a hoppy IPA every few weeks . This extreme idea,that people always do drugs because of some miserable condition is laughable . Sugary phosphoric laden soda is more unhealthy than anything I do

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 01, 2019 08:03PM

Hard to escape sugar when high fructose corn syrup is in most things these days. Look around at all the obese people.

Then let's talk about tobacco and caffeine and weed. Weed helped my son get off opiates. Okay, my brain just shut down. What is the street drug that is basically opiates? I'm not going to look it up. He was on that. And I consider him an alcoholic. He went on suboxone to get off opiates and was on it for 10 years. It ain't cheap. He got off alcohol and opiates and suboxone with pot and he IS FUNCTIONAL. He is doing better than he has since he was 21 and he is 33.

My therapist says that pot is the drug of the future for mental health patients. I type these patients. The drugs they put them on--in a cocktail group of meds--are extremely strong meds and they can be extremely debilitating, and the side effects are extreme. They nowadays don't give them 1 drug at a time, but 3, and then they don't know what is helping the patient because they don't try 1 at a time.

So I'm addicted to diet coke, too. I allow myself diet coke. I have to be careful with everything else.

But I'll sing the praises of pot for the rest of my life after what it has done for my son.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2019 08:03PM by cl2.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 10:03PM

Probably Fentanyl?

I agree about weed with some caveats. That stuff has lots of good effects based on complex chemistry. Because of its illegal status, there are not a lot of good long-term studies on cannabis--and the various individual chemicals in it--and until that analysis is done we won't really know the pluses and minuses.

Like everything else, there are probably things cannabis and its derivatives do really well and other things that are harmful--and those effects may well line up differently for different groups of people. It'll be good to get more research.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 02, 2019 09:14PM

Surprise!

A member of my sister's ward was hospitalized last week, and is still holding onto life, in the Intensive Care Unit.

He was new at vaping, and found a very cheap source online.

Of course, the media will warn others of this reality only after a few dozen have died.

I don't have much, but I do have enough brain power to buy fresh berries in order to get stimulated.

Silly me.

Date: September 02, 2019 09:24PM

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/28/18277658/vaping-health-effects-vs-smoking

The guy is 22 years old and his lungs and liver, kidneys and are severely destroyed. He will be disabled for life.

Listen to the mainstream media silence.

Date: September 02, 2019 10:10PM

WRONG AGAIN. Thank you for the correction.

How I wish I had even one iota of influence...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 09:20AM

Some vape setups (mods) can run very hot. I would think the temperature regulation to be somewhat crude in spite of the digital readout. What byproducts are produced from such heating of glycerin, antifreeze, and essential oils? I’m guessing something more hazardous than that of low power vape pens. But still, why risk it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 11:10AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: gnpe1 ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 01:41AM

The ways Utah law is, I wouldn't be surprised if vaping is prohibited in Utah, isn't already for children / minors?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 09:49AM

Why would I want to put foreign shit into my lungs ? Bend over and I'll show you what you can do with your vaping.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 09:47PM

My guess is that with vaping people already think there is no affect. So, vapors continue to try and hold in more and more vapor thinking their lung capacity is being exercised. It isn't like we go around and try to inhale more and more air impressing those around us as we exhale invisible air around us. With vaping we can see it.

Vaping seems like a gimmick and productive way to break the smoking habit. However, the inhalation of the vapor is probably not as natural as big inhaling of air and there is some affect not quite understood.

True, we don't have 1000s of people dying from vaping but genetics and they product may apply and some trigger these symptoms whereas others have no issues.

Vaping just doesn't have a 10 year historical data record to review and no enough data to review.

Just like smoking was considered harmless. With vaping, there are less harmful ingredients (none) that we know of.

In short, I think it is an over use of your lung sacks and it's being totally stressed out to at one point it will give out and you'll be in that induced coma.

Date: September 04, 2019 07:14AM

I’ve been vaping for nearly three years after quitting smoking for the second time. I started again because I was the victim of a crime and traumatised, and the partner who did it also cheated on me. I was a wreck. Obviously I regret ever smoking!

Ask me in seven years how my lungs are doing and I will return and report. I quit the first time by using mormonism as a crutch. I’d rather die horribly than believe in a cult. Just saying.

I agree that the generation of people now vaping are medical guinea pigs. We don’t have any data on the long term effects. People like me enjoy it and are hooked due to nicotine addiction. It’s also a nervous habit as the result of ptsd, and I can thank the mormon church and my family for a lot of that. However, what I can tell you is I feel a hundred times healthier than when I smoked. And my lungs are all cleared up. No coughing, no wheezing, and I can run miles just as I could pre-smoking. It’s also really inexpensive.
Eventually of course, they will tax the whole thing. And probably discover some new strains of disease. Which is why I don’t plan to do it forever.

Of course it’s not a great thing to do, but I don’t think it should be labelled as necessarily terrible either. We don’t know yet. It is far better than being a smoker. Quitting smoking is a very difficult thing to do, and under a lot of life stress vaping was the only thing that worked for me. There are downsides to other things, like drinking alcohol and eating sugar but people still do it.
I did not appreciate the implication from TBM family members that it was somehow like taking illegal drugs. Something that I just don’t do, but it was implied I was also doing that and knew stuff about drugs just because I was vaping. Wtf? Meanwhile they are completely addicted to sugar.
I know if you have no addictions, and you’ve never smoked, it’s easy to scorn the whole thing as stupid and ridiculous. I’d like to advocate putting it into perspective and holding off on such harsh judgements, something we should ideally leave behind when we leave mormonism.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.