Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 02:32PM

I believe this Mormon sums up current Mormonism very well - meh!

The gaping holes in her testimony are still functional and when she wants to feel a little rebellious they still serve her but oh well, CTR and all that...

Ho, hum, the Mormon merry-go-round keeps turning up dead people for their temple attendance.

They used to feel passionate about not being indoctrinated zombies for Mormon Jesus, but now, oh well.

All of my holes are still functional but they aren't as much fun as they used to be. Just praying that they will eventually grow over with old age and I can cruise Ye Olde Ship Zion into my Celestial dirt patch.

"JennWAgain
Posted 01/20/2017
I grew up in the 1970s and 80s. My grandma never let my mom get her ears pierced, but when I was about 18 months old, my mom's younger sister (who was still a teenager) "rebelled" and got hers pierced. That made my mom (who was in her early 20s) decided to get hers done, and then I (who was only 18 months old) demanded that mine be done, too.
When I was about 10 years old, I started seeing a lot of people with a second piercing (this was the early 1980s). My mom thought it looked pretty cool, so both she and I went to the mall and got a 2nd hole.
As a teenager (between ages 14 and 16), I pierced my own ears a 3rd and 4th time, and then put 2 holes at the top of my left ear as well (with a needle). My parents didn't really say anything, because they were just earrings, and I was a pretty straight arrow kid. I wore a lot of earrings in high school.
During my BYU years, I wore varying numbers of earrings, depending on my mood. There was no policy about it at the time.
When I was in my late 20s, with 3 kids, that statement came out. I remember just kind of rolling my eyes at it at the time. Funnily, one of the "worst" experiences I ever had on Babycenter was when someone posted about how moved she'd been to hear that statement read and how she immediately removed her earrings. I felt like she was being "holier than thou" and a huge argument ensued that left me pretty upset and traumatized for days (that sounds SOOOO silly now, but this was 15+ years ago). But I was convinced that God didn't ACTUALLY care about earrings and this woman was just being hateful.
Now... meh. I'm not sure whether I believe God really cares about earrings or not. But honestly, I rarely wear earrings at all, because most earrings irritate my ears, and/or because I just forget earrings are even a "thing" for months at a time. I'm a YWP, and if I was going to wear earrings to church, I'd probably only wear one pair to "set a good example," but all of my holes are still functional, and occasionally, I wear earrings in the others on other days.
I honestly haven't noticed this being a "thing" with my YW. If any of them wear earrings at all, it's just one pair, and the topic has never actually come up at church. (My DDs all have one piercing, and have never asked for more, and I've honestly never given that any thought)."
https://community.babycenter.com/post/a65411272/can-we-talk-about-two-sets-of-earrings



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 02:33PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 02:48PM

I'm working on 2 computers right now. One of my jobs I used to get work from now and then has me working for someone else this week.

Anyway, when I was young, they said no piercings. I was a good little mormon (2 reasons, I was afraid of the pain and I also don't like to draw attention to myself, I had bullies and I also had an older sister who endlessly poked fun at me), so I didn't get ears pierced until after I dated my current boyfriend. I had a lot more self-esteem by that time.

So my daughter wanted a second piercing in high school, but i said, 'No," only because I thought it would be painful and I wasn't going to go watch that happen. My niece took her. They didn't tell me, but I saw it. I didn't care. My niece knew I wouldn't have a fit about it.

So then my daughter became TBM and she only wears 1 earring in each ear.

I've thought of getting a second piercing in 1 ear, but I'm 62. I think I'd look pretty stupid. I do not try to look too young like wearing clothes and shoes the younger women wear. I think for this woman to only wear one pair when going to church to 'set a good example' but doesn't see a problem with earrings is rather ridiculous.

You're right, she is on the way to her shelf breaking.

I find her statement that you have posted to be one of those "that's what she said" moments.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 02:49PM by cl2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 03:32PM

¿ ~ wut is this thred about ? ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 03:53PM

Functioning holes???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 12:05AM

Mormons are functional @$$h01e$ ! And that's their better points.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 03, 2019 04:07PM

https://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon400.htm

I was there when Hinckley pronounced this new rule. I remember how he emphasized "one pair" of earrings. I detected a hint of anger in his voice.

This was the talk of the airplane in the way home, with all the young women discussing how hard it would be to follow the prophet and take out their piercings, but how they **knew** it was the right thing to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 12:11AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 12:15AM

Q: Why don't mormons get hemorrhoids ?


A: Because they are perfect assholes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:20AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 06:11AM

It’s quite something that LDS.inc has so many rules, that they even have to talk about our holes. Ludicrous.
The weird thing though about all these petty rules (that are made into big deals by GAs) is that I think it kinda works for the cult. As a teenager I went to a strict all girls school with similar rules. No earrings, no black tights, no short skirts. Well, under an otherwise oppressive upbringing (dread to think what it would have been like if we’d been mormon) what do you think I focused on? Wearing those things that I wasn’t supposed to of course. I wore earrings, and when that didn’t annoy everyone enough, I pierced my ears myself a second time, using a spare earring, in the privacy of my bedroom.
Ironically now I don’t wear any earrings as I don’t think they suit me, so all my holes are wasted. However, I can testify that all my holes are fully functional. Ha ha.
My second set of holes didn’t close up in spite of Hinckley’s success in getting me to abandon them.

The point is that girls/women like this are focused on the wrong thing. As will anyone else who is more of a free thinker than this woman. I sometimes wonder if all these petty rules are partly distraction techniques. The point is, mormons are worrying about holes, instead of finding out things like second anointings, for example.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 11:12AM

LJ12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The point is,
> mormons are worrying about holes, instead of
> finding out things like second anointings, for
> example.


Mormonism is more worried about women's holes than their souls.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 01:58PM

to have pierced ears. My dad said not until she was 16. This was the late 1960s. She pierced them herself with a needle. I saw her do it. My older sister had a nurse do it for her. She worked as a teen volunteer at the hospital and asked one of the nurses. I saw that piercing, too. No way in hell was I having that done or doing it.

I did eventually have the piercing gun do my one piercing.

I'll say piercing rather than HOLE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: noone ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:23PM

I don't think I have enjoyed a thread this much in a long time. It has humor as well as great comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 12:13PM

How obsessed church leaders are with women's holes.

Only penetrate one hole and not two!

"We do not, however, take any position on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings — one pair."
https://www.deseret.com/2000/11/16/19539307/just-one-set-of-earrings-for-y-coeds

And paint up your hole a bit. It is charming.

"You beautiful girls — don’t wander around looking like men. Put on a little lipstick now and then and look a little charming — it’s that simple. I don’t know why we make this whole process so hard.”
https://zelphontheshelf.com/ballards-lipstick-comment-cherry-on-top-of-churchs-latest-mansplaining/

Nevermind listening to their painted hole just bend their penetrated ear hole to your sexist dogma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:27PM

Aside from the condescending mansplaining of Ballard and co, he also shows that he knows Nothing. It is laughable. Women do not become more feminine simply by adding some lipstick, nor earrings for that matter. If anything lipstick and jewellery are icing on the cake and IMO unnecessary.
Just IMO it’s far better to look after your health and fitness and pay attention to natural make up, and flattering clothing. However, such things take investment in oneself and more time and effort.
And just in my experience, I’ve noticed that a lot of mormons, and those women I know of a similar mindset, seem to think they can ingest large amounts of sugar and junk food, rarely exercise properly, wear (what I consider) frumpy clothing - deliberately ignoring the ‘evils’ of fashion - and then slap some on lipstick, earrings and sometimes some stilettos on a Sunday, and magically appear feminine and alluring. And I’m not putting them down, I’m just saying they do not invest in themselves. There were exceptions with younger women, and I saw the opposite thing in Utah with vanity on the other end of the scale.
What is really happening is the male ‘priesthood’ authorities want to control the appearance of ‘their’ women. They’re not just out of touch, they wouldn’t want mormon women feeling good and being body confident anyway. Mormon women are so overwhelmed with tasks and brainwashed into doing a hundred things to reach the required level of perfection in order to feel they are “okay” on the inside, that they do not consider it important to take any proper time for themselves.
I see this with female relatives. It’s almost as though they think it a sin to take care of themselves, or they just have no interest in it. But they will still spend money on earrings and lipstick. It’s bizarre and very 1950s. It winds me up no end.

I acknowledge that this is my bitchiest comment ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:38PM

LJ12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I acknowledge that this is my bitchiest comment
> ever.

It is because you consider them people and not objects. Mormonism considers people objects and more so with women.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:44PM

Thanks. I feel strongly because as a mormon woman I had a very warped view of myself, including physically.
But I think I have a rather opinionated view of my own on what makes a woman look good. It is just an opinion, and perhaps I shouldn’t have one because I’m being judgmental? I can’t seem to help it though. I got annoyed when women close to me seem to abandon themselves. In fact it’s not self abandonment because they were never ‘for’ themselves in the first place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:50PM

LJ12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is just an
> opinion, and perhaps I shouldn’t have one
> because I’m being judgmental?

Why? I think you should have whatever opinions you want. It doesn't make them true or useful but they reflect what you find important to have some thoughts about in life.

I like your opinions on this post. Women in the Mormon church are objects still today even without overt polygamy. It is dehumanizing and cruel. Any organization claiming a divine decree to degradate and denigrate half of humanity is harmful.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 03:51PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 06:22PM

I am now overweight. Became overweight when I found out my husband was cheating. I got rather big after he left, but I have lost quite a bit. I still don't dress frumpy I'd say. I don't wear a lot of makeup and I don't have to. I have good skin still at my age and very little gray hair. I look frumpy when doing the yard work or cleaning the house. I'm usually drenched as I always hit myself when setting sprinklers.

But if I go somewhere, I get "ready." I actually am careful not to try to be too trendy at age 62. I'm careful about what I choose to wear. I always have been.

I, too, see a lot of mormon women who don't worry about their appearance. Or try to take the cheap way out. My daughter even came home from church once and asked me to please never do cheap hair dye as her mormon moms do and it looks horrible. They don't dress in nice dresses. They can be really thin and in good shape and they wear some old skirt with a shirt and orthopedic shoes or sandals. I see this a lot and I often think, "I wish I was that thin so I could dress up and there is that person who could look so great." My daughter does dress very well. Even as a poor single mother, I made sure they had nice clothes (and I went without then--I don't anymore).

But, yes, mormon women don't look that great. I don't get it and I never will. It is like once they get a man, they don't have to work for him anymore.

And talking about women being objects, I DEFINITELY learned I was only an object when going through what I did before I got married through leaders, let alone being married to someone gay. You HAVE TO become an it to survive. You don't realize it is happening. You just know eventually that you feel lacking in desirability! I just listened to a radio talk show with Lolly Weed (Josh Weed's ex-wife) and she talked about this. Boyd did tell me I had no worth. Only he did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: noone ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:18PM

You sound very wise, cl2. It is important to dress well and not dress younger than one's age. I am sure you look better than you imagine.

I had to chuckle, as I got a stress fracture while exercising and must wear ugly orthopedic shoes the rest of my life. And yes, I got fat from the inactivity. Then I had ovarian cancer. Now I work with a personal trainer three days a week and have lost 55 pounds altogether. I'm still trying to get to my pre-accident weight but at almost 64 it is slow progress.

I just want to encourage you as I have been where you are now. Only the details are different.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:22PM

but I see 20 something year olds wearing them. My mother had to wear them because of rheumatoid arthritis. I have neuropathy in my feet, but I just wear what shoes I decide to, but I also am almost 6 feet tall, so I DO NOT wear heels ever. My daughter does. Crazy girl. At almost 6 feet.

I need to get busier about exercise as I feel better mentally, too. I do keep busy with yard work and walking dogs, but I need MORE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: noone ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:04PM

LJ12, Your comment was not bitchy in any way. It was well-considered and articulate.

I am in agreement with you that there are better ways of self-presentation than make-up and jewelry, and yes, being healthy, well-groomed and wearing flattering clothes are among the best. I would only add that kindness to others is even more important. Attractive people who treat others badly score lower than less-attractive people, in my opinion.

I, too, look at how people present themselves and am often startled by the result. I wonder if they even looked at their mirror before they left the house. I don't consider this judgmental, as I keep my ideas to myself. I really think that most people have no idea of the best shapes or colors of clothing or make up that flatter them best. As you say, it takes much self-investment, and the time, effort and and money needed are often prohibitively high. Self-esteem (or lack of it) can be the problem, as can what is currently in fashion and available in stores. Still, I don't know anyone who wants to be unattractive and purposely dresses that way.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 05:20PM by noone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:27PM

He is living here with me at this time so he can be closer to his kids on weekends. I never liked his wife and I'm not surprised that they are divorced. They have 4 darling kids and she has turned his 20-year-old against him. Part of the problem is the daughter becoming older and his ex-wife is jealous of her daughter. Her daughter is beautiful and has a soft look, kind, caring. His ex looks like a royal bitch and always has. She has that hard look to her.

So I ran into her in Costco a few months ago. She had on short shorts--black, with a tank top that had her boobs half hanging out the sides, and black boots. Her hair dyed black and spiked. She kept following me around. My boyfriend finally said, "Let's just leave so we can get away from her." (And her boyfriend, also dressed like she was--he looked like a white supremacist). She has had quite a bit of plastic surgery, too. She looked like hell, yet I know she thinks she looks hot. She stood out like a sore thumb in the store. It was a Sunday so it wasn't like the mormon crowd was there.

I'd much prefer to look like I do overweight than look like she did.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:40PM

... does a resurrected being have?

And does it depend on the final destination of the individual soul in question?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 03:43PM

Have you ever heard of the term, "TK Smoothie?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 05:10PM

Please tell me it's a blended Tangerine-Kiwi beverage!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 05:28PM

No but they are served to the TK Smoothie people.

TK Smoothie = Telestial Kingdom of glory denizen. They lack frontal reproductive parts as part of their lesser glory resurrection but not a hair of their heads is lost.

They get to cavort naked if they want and rub each other and play with their other holes but their frontal holes have been removed. They've had a frontal hole-otomy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 06:15PM

I've heard this, but does anyone here know from where the concept originated? Did JS or BY supposedly tell this to someone, or is it in any official publication, or is it Mormon folklore?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 06:29PM

https://www.missedinsunday.com/memes/other/tk-smoothie/



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2019 06:29PM by lurking in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 07:11PM

This is one of my pet peeves. The smoothie concept didn't exist before Joseph Fielding Smith. He invented it in the 1950s.

In addition to the Doctrines of Salvation (1954) quote linked above, there's also this one -

Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, Vol. 4, pp. 66-67 (1957):

"Our own sober judgment teaches us that the Lord in his infinite wisdom and justice, would see to it that the privileges of increase or cohabitation between men and women in these kingdoms would be impossible because of peculiar conditions pertaining to these glories.

"Is not the sectarian world justified in their doctrine generally proclaimed, that after the resurrection there will be neither male or female sex? It is a logical conclusion for them to reach and apparently is in full harmony with what the Lord has revealed regarding the kingdoms into which evidently the vast majority of mankind is likely to go. However, if members of the Church are faithful and true to the covenants and commandments of the gospel, there is no reason for them to worry about the condition which will prevail in these several kingdoms."

These two instances are, to my knowledge, the only appearances of this "doctrine" in any published church book, ever. No other GA has climbed aboard the Smoothie Train – not McConkie, not Benson, not Kimball, not even Packer.

And it directly contradicts the BOM (Alma 40:23 - "even a hair of the head shall not be lost"). F*** Joseph Fielding Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 01:33AM

Thanks, Henry. I've wondered from where it came, but I hesitate to bring up such topics with my dad because any such conversation with him would be opening a can of worms I'd just as soon remain sealed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: September 04, 2019 05:16PM

Elderly porn is getting more popular

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:41AM

Because the god of the entire universe cares about how many holes you have.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:45AM

And we care about how many black holes he has.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 10:59PM

I might borrow your subject line for my Grindr profile.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 12:30PM

I'll tell my "husband" about this!

I think that EB's subject line is the best I've ever seen on RfM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 10:46AM

And a probably active Mormon woman came up with it. Not me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 10:51AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:01AM

LOL! Right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:04AM

My TBM daughter is always the one who says, "That's what she said," when I do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In


Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
  *******   **    **  ********  **     **  ******** 
 **     **  **   **      **     ***   ***     **    
        **  **  **       **     **** ****     **    
  *******   *****        **     ** *** **     **    
        **  **  **       **     **     **     **    
 **     **  **   **      **     **     **     **    
  *******   **    **     **     **     **     **