Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 10:27AM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/09/05/writer-excommunicated/

Lavina Fielding Anderson tried recently to get re-admitted to the club. She got turned down. She still goes to church every Sunday. I do not understand her.at.all. I was also surprised that there are a couple of others in that September 1993 purge who have rejoined. Stunning

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 10:49AM

Maybe people want what they can’t have, if they were ex’d instead of resigning (sorry I can’t view the article from the uk)

This is weird though. I sometimes have nightmares of going back to church, even though I don’t/can’t get re-baptised. It’s truly a horrible dream and I wake up in a bad state.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:12AM

I have the same dreams, and wake up in a sweat - they are night terrors...emotionally torturing

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:02AM

Everyone is entitled to choose their own path. However, these people who know the truth of the history, doctrine and policies of the church and yet cannot break their emotional ties to the church are a mystery to me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:22AM

She may have genuinely believed she was doing ghawd’s work in trying to push for reform. Otherwise, she'd have done what the rest of us did. In other words, she's deluded. It happens.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:30AM

It’s been 25 years. I think they rejected her just to be mean.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:37AM

Well, yeah; ghawd made them do it! That's what revelation and a quick survey are all about!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:37AM

I wonder if it's because at their core, mormonism is who they are. Maybe they don't have an identity outside of it?

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 01:10PM

That's what I think as well, especially if their families have been Mormons since it was founded. It's all they know as they've never lived outside the bubble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2019 01:11PM by doyle18.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 01:05PM

Lavina is a true Christian in the good sense. I've heard many people say how much she helped them in their first writing efforts. I think her bishop who urged her to do this is a dolt.

I blame the refusal to re-baptize her on Dallin Oaks. He seems like a vengeful person to me.

She was exed for publishing reports on ecclesiastical abuse. And look at how much it still goes on today. The leaders should have listened to her back then and done something about it.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 02:40PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 03:30PM

That's a good editorial.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 07:11PM

the leaders on their abuse.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 03:24PM

If I understand correctly, this former member has continued to attend church despite being thrown out. She has not changed her views that priesthood leaders abuse their power/authority. She openly wants the church to make reformations and the first presidency doesn't want her back into the fold.

I think some members believe that their family and church friends will have greater sympathy to be thrown out vs the personal choice of leaving.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 08:34PM

As Kirby pointed out so well, if anybody is a Christian in this debacle, it's her.

This episode will make the First Presidency hate her all the more, because she has forced them to reveal themselves for what they really are – frightened old men.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.