Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 12:45PM

From my latest conversation with my eldest out on her mission.

Mormon is offensive to Mormons especially missionaries. I still call MoTab MoTab. Ha! She didn't say anything about that.

Mission leaders are history. They now have correlation with EQ Pres and RS Pres.

From the mail - we have to pay for dental work incurred from an accident our other daughter had at the Provo MTC. The cheapskates can't even cover that in their own facility.

Carry on. Maybe this information will be interesting to someone. If it upsets you I hope you read the title of this post. I do have 3 missionaries out "in the field" and let me tell you talking to them is great until it isn't and whenever "the church" comes up it isn't.

Also, my eldest's MP just changed their approved music list to be ONLY church music. I'm pissed. I bought and emailed a bunch of music to her she can't listen to anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 12:50PM

somewhere in the bishops handbook, that it is now okay to say "mormon" again--and that on music and the spoken word Sunday, the guy said mormon tabernacle choir. Someone said it might have been a rerun. Even so, would they rerun one that says mormon in it?

Anyway, you should see if you can find that. I don't know if you want to show your daughter or not. But mormon is back in fashion. Oh, wait, I e-mailed it to my "husband"--let me find it and link it here.

Here's the link to the thread: https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2252639

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 12:52PM by cl2.

Date: September 05, 2019 01:05PM

Thanks! I'm sure she doesn't know. If you have the link yes please.

Also, I just read another daughter's email. They were on schedule to baptize a man but he found out some anti-Mormon (her words) information and is no longer interested! Winning!

Ah, the era of The Internet.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 01:12PM

In the first part, they give 2 links. One of them shows what it says in the church handbook. Pretty crazy, isn't it. So they quietly roll this change out and never say a thing. Just like the changes in children of gays. As though they never did it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 02:25PM

This is the problem having very old men running the church. When you are in your 90’s and 80’s your reasoning isn’t as good as when you were younger. President Nelson is doing great for a 94 year old but make no mistake, his mind isn’t as sharp as it would be if he was younger. Add in he’s spent most his time in the Mormon bubble. You can clearly see Christ is important to the man. More than church culture or history. Gordon B Hinckley was a church history enthusiast. With him we got huge improvements to Nauvoo and other church historical sites.

Nelson wants to become a mainstream Christian church. He wants all that odd Mormon history painted over. Russ claims to be buddies with the pope and black baptist ministers. He admits our church is boring compared to other church’s. Russ says the restoration is an ongoing process which is a clever way of saying he can change anything he wants.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 02:52PM

Hinckley was the foremost proponent of mainstreaming. He jettisoned all the unique doctrines--"I don't know that we teach that, I don't know that we emphasize it"; Man-God is "just a couplet"--and the one who emphasized ecumenicalism. He also encouraged people to shift from "Mormon" to "LDS" and only reversed course when the media started confusing "LDS" and "FLDS." That's when "Mormon" became acceptable again.

Nelson is just doing what Hinckley did earlier and over the course of a couple of decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 02:53PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Infrequent Observer ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 04:42PM

The link going around about the name "mormon" being okay again is just a link to handbook #2 that hasn't been changed since the 2010 version I have. I'm sure they'll get around to changing this. It doesn't represent a reversal, so I wouldn't put yourself in a position with your daughter of claiming knowledge a reversal that doesn't exist.

Date: September 05, 2019 05:36PM

Thanks. I think you are right. She was adamant. All my kids are singing the same tune. I think Mormon is a dirty word still.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 01:51PM

EB

Cheer up. I am probably the only missionary to have my Mo Tab cassette tape confiscated by the Mission President and his assistants during a contraband raid. He said that the Christmas music was too secular to be inspiring.

Seriously? - Joy to the world, Silent night

However, he allowed all types of Latin music (his words) to facilitate our learning of Spanish.

So I had companions infatuated with this young singer, Thalia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s94CZkSxOg

Her album art was appealing to young men.

However, he was always looking for that horrible Satan inspired heavy metal band: Enya

Some missionaries had confessed their sins to the mission president and blamed their evil ways on heavy metal music called Enya. So the MP went on one heck of a mission shakedown going apartment to apartment looking for contraband. Our stolen stuff was either to be sent home on our dime or he was going to send it home to our parents with a nasty note. Most of us regrettably mailed home our "shouldn't have had this" package. I told my Mom that I was given gifts from an elder that was finishing his mission. My Mom thought it was nice that he gave me a Mo Tab tape and used it in her car.

Date: September 05, 2019 02:00PM

Enya? Really? Did he listen to it?

Jeezbus, what an a-hole. My prez didn't really care about music. He had other problems to deal with like sex and drugs so little time for rock and roll.

Date: September 05, 2019 02:08PM

No, he never realized that he was wrong about Enya. I don't think he ever listened for himself.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 08:51AM

Please ... just don't make me listen to ABBA ! It's worse than death.

Date: September 05, 2019 02:01PM

On my mission this was the hot music for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZkLQ2s_4w

Many people like them. I still do.

Date: September 05, 2019 02:14PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:31PM

The reason I was both disobedient and carefree was that as an early teen, I had come to realize that I was not top drawer celestial material and I was okay with it.

Once you realize you're not going to become a ghawd, then any further disobedience is no big deal. There is no guilt!

Imagine NOT enjoying this life and then still failing to make it to the top? At least I'll have a life time supply of memories that please me, compared to Joe Sacramentray, who constantly worried and didn't make it anyway.

Where is it written or that "Man is made that he might have joy" is incorrect? How many 'personable, happy-go-lucky' elders had more baptisms to their credit, compared to the uptight drones who held to their MP's iron rod?

But leaders think that they have to "lead" by some uptight, rigid book of rules. And then live their lives the same way.

Too many religions are too exacting, and mormonism is near the top of these putrid heap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 05:31PM by elderolddog.

Date: September 05, 2019 05:44PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too many religions are too exacting, and mormonism
> is near the top of these putrid heap.

Amen. Superstition and religion share the idea that doing things in life is a recipe to follow and that things have to be done, thoughts thunk, prays said, songs sung. It is all dung.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 06:39PM

Remember, folks: Joey gets the 'Final Say', not your MP, not the prophet, maybe not even JHC!

edited to correct: it's H. Jesus Christ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 06:40PM by GNPE.

Date: September 06, 2019 07:40AM

Seriously.

That's what one set of elders did and set the record of 60+ baptisms in one month. That caused the "shame" train to be driven over the rest of us dupes thinking that we weren't worthy enough to be spiritual vessels to have that kind of success.

Later, the cat was out of the bag when I transferred closer to the place where this majestic mormon miracle was occurring.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.