Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 03:57PM

"Disclaimer: I'm an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm a pretty liberal Democrat. I've had a member of the church tell me I can't be a Mormon and a Democrat. We no longer speak. I have tried to keep my religion and my politics separate.

But. It is no longer politics when we have a president who is a racist, a white supremacist, a misogynist, so narcissistic it should be illegal, a pathological liar, a xenophobe, incurious, semi-literate and vindictive.

Do any of those words apply to a Christian? Don't we members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints want to be considered Christian? How in the name of all that is holy can one be a member of said church and support said president?

This just might be the deal-breaker for me. I've tried to sway like a willow when whacked by the anti-gay bent of the church, thinking it will evolve, as it has been known to smarten up (polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, for example). I've tried to "work from within."

But this? Supporting that thing occupying the White House? I cannot fathom such support.

Cognitive dissonance anyone?"

Becky W. Gledhill, Salt Lake City

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/letters/2019/09/05/letter-lds-support-trump/?fbclid=IwAR1hLp4yL1pmE_qHw9KYucP5NAZZZ_RopPM2FXiybnCsphG91qf4wL3Cy5g

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 04:18PM

"Becky from Salt Lake City."

It doesn't get much better than that!

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 04:19PM

Yup, Dems are the party of the devil. That started back in the '60s. In my old ward in SLC at least half the members were Democrats. But back then, I don't remember much talk about politics in church. It was mostly about how the professors at the U wanted to destroy your testimony and how the blacks sat on the fence in the war against heaven.

So has the church evolved at all since then?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:33PM

Don't believe it. If she knows what she knows and feels what she feels and hasn't left yet, she's never going to leave.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:49PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't believe it. If she knows what she knows and
> feels what she feels and hasn't left yet, she's
> never going to leave.
Judging from her last line,"Cognitive dissonance anyone?", I'm guessing she will resolve that CogDis by finding the exit door. Too bad more MORmONs and so-called "Christians" do not share her conscientiousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 05:50PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 05:49PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If she knows what she knows and
> feels what she feels and hasn't left yet, she's
> never going to leave.

I disagree. My brother is a Democrat and was in this state for years. It takes a tipping point and maybe Becky will experience one beyond the POTUS.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 06:16PM

“That thing in the White House”. How very Christian of her to say that. At least she could come up with something way cooler: like, say, a “whited sepulcher”. Matthew 23:27

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 11:08PM

Actually, Boris Johnson, UK Prime Minister, came up with a fairly unique insult, at least to my American ears – he called someone a "chlorinated chicken".

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 04:46AM

He was taking such a beating in the House of Commons, though, that his strange, rather desperate insult fell completely flat. He then went on to call the leader of the opposition "a great big girl's blouse"!

That didn't raise a laugh either ;-)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 06:45AM

I saw that too. But I don’t think anyone heard him as he was away from the mic. He’s thrown some good insults over the years. I actually liked him as a comedian. That was before such things became damaging and evolved to where he is now...
I find it interesting that both leaders were entertaining to watch, perhaps for all the wrong reasons, before they were in power. Makes me think it was deliberate - we didn’t take them seriously enough.
Won’t this thread get deleted for politics?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:20AM

I hope it won't get deleted. I have been fascinated watching the parliamentary debate. There is something great about the humor over there!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 05, 2019 08:06PM

My parents were democrats. Before ERA and abortion issues, there were many mormons who were elected to office like Gunn McKay who were democrats. Scott Matheson was a democrat. Was it Rampton who was the governor for a long time when I was young? Democrat.

I didn't leave over politics. I did have a lot of people tell me I was wrong.

I remember some guy coming by to get my dad to sign some petition just obviously thinking my dad was republican. My dad said, "Well, you've come to the wrong place." He was very STERN when saying it. He was a formidable presence. Many people were afraid of him until they got to know him (if they were decent people that is).

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 06, 2019 11:03AM

Utah, not SLC, votes overwhelmingly with the Republican Party, both locally and nationally and that includes support for President Trump.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.