Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 12:37PM

The site continues its popularity despite lack of upgrades this past year.

Successful requests per day:

Tue 139094
Wed 112335
Thu 150220
Fri 188414

It is not far from our usual height back a few years ago. The exodus from Mormonism is clearly increasing when considering all the other sites are out there.

On a personal note - I have to put my mother into hospice care. Finished paper work yesterday and she will be transferred tomorrow (Sunday). Dementia is an awful disease. A cure needs to be found soon. Too many are suffering. I am worn out as DW has been ill as well. The board has been behaving better and thanks for keeping the needs for the admins to a minimum. We have busy lives too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 12:38PM by Eric K.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 12:43PM

Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 12:57PM

Hospice care?
I thought she was probably in a regular nursing home and assisted living would be next. I wondered if she she moved to a closer facility. Hospice only accepts if they are in final stages, correct? Her illness must be progressing quickly.

Hang in there, Eric. You are at the most difficult time dealing with parents. I remember feeling exhausted wondering how much more I was going to have to deal with. I'm impressed you have actively been involved to get her where she needs to be. I know she wasn't the best mom. Take care of yourself. I hope you can continue to travel and share music.

Thanks for the report.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 01:20PM

She has declined rapidly - surprisingly so. The Dr recommended hospice. The existing facility will not accept her back in her current condition. I panicked for awhile Friday afternoon when told she could not go back and I had nowhere to take her. The hospital extended discharge by one day and I have a group working on finding an opening somewhere. It is very stressful. There needs to be a better system of coordination for situations like this.

I have a jazz gig tonight in Chattanooga. That always helps with a little fun. Hopefully I won't be too tired. Waiting at the hospital now for the hospice rep to do an evaluation and give me the plans for tomorrow.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 01:12PM

My mom, who came down to visit me both summers while I was on my mission, didn't know who I was when she died. It's very taxing, mentally and physically.

Be good to yourself.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 03:34PM

May those surrounding you now be as good to you as you have been to others, even people you didn't know. I don't believe in karma but I do hope you get it at this time.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 04:29PM

I am sorry you are going through this. I remember how hopeless this position can sometimes feel.

I remember how stressful and "lost" I felt (most especially because I was the "person in charge"), when I was living through similar circumstances.

My empathetic thoughts and wishes surround you as you help your Mom go through these last steps.

For the times when it seems "endless," know that I am thinking about you--and wishing you, and your Mom, all the possible best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 04:42PM by Tevai.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 10:08PM

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Eric.

I've noticed an increase in people posting here lately. It's nice to see.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: September 07, 2019 11:01PM

So sorry--this is a stressful time for families. My Mom had dementia and towards the end it was extremely difficult.

Thanks for all you have done for us. I am still thrilled that I got to meet you at the Hotel Utah on July 24th.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 06:04PM

Eric, such a sad situation for all involved. What I keep thinking is that we don’t know what our aged parents don’t know.

I had a frightening experience with anesthesia once. Medical personnel couldn’t wake me up. I thought I was awake and answering their questions. I even tried to tell them how they could help me. I didn’t realize my mouth my wasn’t moving. My husband and son finally gave up trying to talk to me and said, “let’s just go.” It broke my heart. I finally “came to” after 10 o’clock that night. So, please don’t give up on our demented parents. We don’t know what they don’t know any more. All we can do is continue to show love for them, which I’m sure that you do for your mom.

Best wishes to you and to her.
Thank you for everything you’ve done for all of us.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 11:26AM

"We don’t know what they don’t know any more."

Wow! Being a caring human being is hard to do. The real saints in the world are the people who don't give up.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 05:13PM

Sorry that you're going through such rough stuff, Eric. We all want to say that we won't be like our aging parents, but we just don't know how it will go down. The memory and eyesight issues scare the hell outta me. There comes a point where you have to take care of yourselves too. I hope the best for all of you.

Interesting about the site numbers. I don't check RFM nearly as much as I did for so long. Some of the other sites meet my needs a little closer now. And those sites have thousands of followers. So the fact that RFM is still going at near record strength, along with all the other options, shows just how bad the bleed really is. It is especially striking that SO many young, formerly TBM couples who were raised in TSCC, served missions, married in the temple, have extremely active extended family and have held high positions, are leaving. The leadership is basically screaming "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

But they are. They are all pulling back the curtain and seeing the pathetic little man using smoke and mirrors to convince his minions of his power. That pathetic little man is named Rusty. He has no power, he's no wizard and certainly no prophet. And they decide to put their immediate families first, often at the peril of their relationship with extended family. Every single damn day there's a new person with the same basic story. It really is blowing me away. But it means so many more vulnerable children who won't have to be raised with such a warped sense of their destiny. You started all this. You deserve the highest of honors for all your work.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 05:27PM

Tough spot to be in. My mom was actually in a pretty good mood as we looked after her, but then spared us some grief as she slipped into a coma. My dad was also in a pretty good mood as we looked after him at home.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 05:46PM

Good luck to your wife. Hope she's better soon.

Life can be such a trial. Take care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.