Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 03:22PM

Thanks for sharing this, it’s a great article. I guess it speaks for itself and it really resonated with me.
I’ve shared on my Facebook; will be interesting to see if anyone deletes me or causes me any issues over doing that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 08, 2019 05:32PM

Thank you for this article! What Marlene Winell writes is true.

Most of the trauma is behind me, being out for 10 years, thanks to psychiatric counseling for my PTSD, my wonderful children who led the way out, RFM, and not-Mormon friends and work colleagues.
I was one of those extremely devout souls, and even with all my good luck, recovery has been hard work!

Whenever people question if RFM is necessary, after one has quit the cult, after one is moving forward, and even when one is finding their "place in the world", have people read this article!

>>>"Another difference is the social context, which is extremely different from other traumas or forms of abuse. When someone is recovering from domestic abuse, for example, other people understand and support the need to leave and recover. They don’t question it as a matter of interpretation, and THEY DON'T SEND THE PERSON BACK FOR MORE. But this is exactly what happens to many former believers who seek counseling. If a provider doesn’t understand the source of the symptoms, he or she may send a client for pastoral counseling, or to AA, or even to another church."<<< The caps are mine.

I will need RFM, as long as "well-meaning" Mormon relatives and friends keep trying to send me back for more.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 02:27PM

Just like I have so far. It made me realize I wasn't alone and it also has helped me heal A LOT. But like others, I have everyday stuff that goes on with mormons and to be able to come here and read and post really helps me deal with it all.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 03:42PM

I thought John Dehlin was going into this field of helping people.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 04:15PM

I think he has helped a lot. He can’t take a hard line without alienating the TBMs he’s guiding through the process, so he comes off as sympathetic to the church.

But he got his own bubble...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 04:16PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 06:04PM

I find it irritating. Not saying he doesn’t help people, but..It annoys me, I can’t watch his stuff

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.