Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:05AM

senses of humor?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:11AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:30AM

small minds

Date: September 09, 2019 11:40AM

I was replying to the current circumcision thread and it occurred to me that might be why the men have the priesthood is that they had to be circumcised. (Did they circumcise in JS's day?)

Maybe they choose the leaders by how small their _____ are.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 12:14PM

That's not funny, at all.

What was said to me at every church meeting when I saw humor in life.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 12:17PM

I don't get the joke.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 12:30PM

This was click bate spin off from the circumcission thread, where the clicker is tempted see if by "small" I am referring to something else about the brethre (which I happen to believe by the way). I think I need to find another hobby. Making fun of the brothren is sure fun though, I have to tell ya.

Date: September 09, 2019 12:33PM

Ted, I actually got it.

;-)

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 12:21PM

avoid loud laughter......(wtf)i never understood this and it was totally contrary to my personality, cause i love loud laughter, at least when I hear something funny.......and evil speaking of the lord's anointed.....well, isn't that just a little too convenient. (what if they deserve it?)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 12:24PM

I sometimes wondered...

was telling the truth about Paul Dunn 'speaking evil'?

what about checking the truthfulness of other embellished anecdotes used to prop up faith/testimonies?

Date: September 09, 2019 05:40PM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 11:05PM

My dad loved to laugh...loudly...doubt he ever did it when he was on high council though

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 02:15AM

Don’t remember any leaders having a sense of humour. And when they tried it was an epic fail. And I don’t remember laughing much as a mormon, or any leaders making me laugh. Remembering some of the crap now I prefer to laugh at it when possible rather than dwelling on all the spiritual abuse.
Having said that my brother and one of my ex boyfriends are two of the funniest people I’ve ever met, and both are mormon. I only wonder now if being mormon has made them less funny over time, than if they weren’t mormon.
Because how can you have the best sense of humour and make people laugh when you are subject to mind control, when you can’t swear and when so much normal life stuff is taboo?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 11:24AM

He always spiced up his sermons with some self depreciating stories, I think he wanted people to know he was a little different from his self righteous and pompous colleges.

J. Golden Kimball was well known for salty humor from the pulpit.

Other than that I can't think of many.

Date: September 11, 2019 05:08PM

Yes, but as Golden explicitly said, he'd never have become an apostle if it were not for the fame of his father, Heber. For the rest of them, a sense of humor is utterly unacceptable.

I think that's why Golden is the exception that proves the rule.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 04:53PM

I just remembered I used to listen to John Bytheway as a new member. Who was that guy? I just googled him and he’s a teacher at BYU or something but I remember his talks for YSAs and it was all supposed to be very funny. I doubt it would be funny now. I just wondered if anyone remembered this too and if they found him funny?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 15, 2019 05:45PM

I know plenty of leaders/members with great humor, including a bishop who is a humorist and cowboy poet, who I've about busted a gut listening to. Problem is that church isn't the place to display it. In church, you get points for being serious and humble and contrite and shedding tears.

"Because how can you have the best sense of humour and make people laugh when you are subject to mind control, when you can’t swear and when so much normal life stuff is taboo?"

I overheard a guy listening to George Carlin, who is funny, but I couldn't get past the profanity. Not sure how inserting the F word 8 times in every sentence increases humor, but apparently without it, nobody would laugh. Seems overdone to me, and smells of cult behavior - in church get points for crying - elsewhere get points for swearing.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 16, 2019 03:37PM

What’s the saying. . . Don’t throw stones at glass houses?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.