Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 01:41PM

Met up with my new supervisor which I was excited about because my previous was a super TBM with pictures of her RM sons, as her screen saver on her cell phone. Anyways I am having coffee and she is drinking TEA. Within five minutes she is asking me if I am married? Who the hell asks you if your married at a business meeting? I wear a wedding band and have been partnered for the past 15 years, but not legally tied and bound. Only a Mormon thinks it's their duty to find out if your married and how many kids you have! I told her no I was partnered and had no KIDS. You could register the instant shock and judgement on her face! A funny aside is my previous super, as I was leaving work to head home, I mentioned I had to get a move on to take care of the kids... her face brightened and she asked how many. I said three. She said how old. I told her 8, 13, and 16. She than asked me what grades they were in. Oh... I am talking about my pets... I refer to them as my children... The look of horror on her face!!! Have many a good chuckle over that one... The next Mormon that asks me whether I am married I will inform them that I don't date people that I work with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 01:55PM

Nevermo here.

From a nevermo perspective, it might be wiser (with both coworkers and supervisors) to politely finesse any questions you don't feel are appropriate.

Your employment is a "place" where complete and frank exchanges may not be in your own best interest.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 06:09PM

They don't realize how they frame regular conversation to reek of Mormonism.

You know she was going to pry until she categorizes you. It's what they do. I hope she turns out to be an OK supervisor and loses her judgement.

You sound like a good human for your pets. Good on you!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 08:54PM

At my interview with the man who would be my boss back in 2002, one of his first questions to me was "are you a member?" Now, we were in Provo, so everyone knew what that meant. I had not yet resigned but was no longer attending and mentally no longer affiliated. But, the question caught me so off guard that I paused. Then, I answered, "does that make any difference?" Ok, now that caught HIM off guard and he stammered and said that of course it didn't. I was hired and worked there until I retired. Though 90% of my co-workers were mormon, I stood my ground in that area and it worked out ok.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 11:29PM

I hate those personal questions as well. The trouble is that parents don't teach their kids the accepted manners for what polite society is suppose to delve into. Also not to get all racist on everyone but I've also noticed that certain nationalities have different expectations in conversation. Latinos get a lot more personal quickly, they have less boundaries in their conversational styles, and are very frank and give lots of personal advice, unwarranted. Anglos for whatever reason have more restraint, and keep many many secrets. Also opposite sex conversations take a lot of patience, work, and are really hard to get, but same sex friends are dime a dozen.

Anyone else ever notice this?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 03:09AM

This is ridiculous, macaRomney. I don't think you know anything more about Latinos than you learned from watching Charlie Sheen on a sitcom.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 12:09AM

> Latinos get a lot more
> personal quickly, they
> have less boundaries in
> their conversational
> styles, and are very
> frank and give lots of
> personal advice, unwarranted.

If by this veritable racist comment you mean that Latinos will kick your ass for getting in their faces with your vanilla shake mentality, you may be on to something. Sauce can't believe you're for real. And she doesn't think you're popular at work.

We should have lunch some time!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 03:07AM

I don't think he'd be comfortable with all your Lemonite hugs and marital advice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 03:38AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 01:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Latinos get a lot more
> > personal quickly, they
> > have less boundaries in
> > their conversational
> > styles, and are very
> > frank and give lots of
> > personal advice, unwarranted.
>
> If by this veritable racist comment you mean that
> Latinos will kick your ass for getting in their
> faces with your vanilla shake mentality, you may
> be on to something. Sauce can't believe you're
> for real. And she doesn't think you're popular
> at work.
>
> We should have lunch some time!

Don't invite me to go along.... I've met all kinds of people,

from every station in life and I've yet to meet anyone who

raises his racist, bigoted ass flag the way you do.Interestingly

enough you seem strangly proud of that fact as if in some

perverted way is is an accomplishment to be proud of. This fact

alone indicates what a low IQ you posesses... good luck in life.

I can only imagine what the chicanos you work with say about you

behind you ignorant racist back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 01:19PM by saucie.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 02:57AM

I love your answer! A good dose of embarrassment should shut them up. I'm going to try out that reply, the next time I'm asked.

I get asked this all the time--by Mormons--here in SLC--in a business environment. Sometimes, it's just part of the conversation, and that's fine, but other times, it's very pointed, and the asker is judging me. I wear a wedding ring, and that's all anyone needs to know. I was divorced, and lived alone with my children, and had met a lot of very scary Mormons out in the Utah work-world, so I was very protective of us. No personal information, no addresses, no full names, no photos of my children in my office. That was a boundary I set when I moved to Utah. Unfortunately, my ward and Mormon neighbors had our address and land-line phone number, and financial information. (Beware! Your money is up for grabs, by the Mormon cult!) The Mormons abused my children, and harassed us. I learned the hard way, that an unmarried woman is often perceived to be an un-protected woman, and fair game for criminals.

I started telling strangers that I was married to a police man.

I have a beautiful single-mother friend who has a U.S. Marine Corps sticker on her front door, and flies the American flag and the Marine flag--these discourage stalkers!

Posted by: Recovered Molly MO ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 10:07AM

My fave answer to nosy/inappropriate questions...

"Why did you ask/need to know?"

It puts the spotlight right back on them that they are out of bounds with you.

Most of the time it causes the person to retract or move on to something else more neutral to talk about.

I had dozens of experiences in ChurchInc where some people did not get a clue. In those cases you need to smack them with a clue by four to the head.

"That is rather personal to ask and I don't feel comfortable discussing it".

Only a few rare times have I had to tell people "Your rudeness surprises me, did you think about what you just asked? Because that's really none of your business".

RMM

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 10:27AM

Thank you all for the responses... with the last instance I knew it was a judgement question... "where do I place this individual on the ladder... apparently I got demoted to the bottom rung... luckily I am a contractor so my work place is in a hyper professional building where I am not bothered with nosy questions... I get asked the questions when people know me better... not as an ice breaker!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.