Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 11, 2019 11:14AM

A friend and I used to play at Trolley Square and some other spots at Christmas time; my friend sent me a link to a video of Bono and others in Dublin on Christmas eve and asked if I thought it would fly to do this again when we are in Utah at Christmas. I'm not sure you can still play in public in SLC, especially anywhere near Temple Square, I also know there are big commercial events in downtown salt lake. Anybody have any knowledge of what it's like at Christmas?

Also we would be looking for a couple of singers or string or horn players to join us. We'd be doing Holiday music so not overtly Christian, except for a few favorites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 06:30AM

There are street corner buskers all summer along Main at 100 S to 300 S., usually Wednesday thru Saturday. They may be other places too. Those are the locations I notice. Usually solo acts, but I've seen small groups. I'll ask if there are any licensing requirements. I doubt that there are.

On mall property I assume you'd need permission from mall management.

I will return and report.

Date: September 13, 2019 02:22PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 02:52PM

I found a semi-recent article. Apparently there is a $30 annual license. I haven't noticed groups doing Christmas music, but the amount of foot traffic near Temple Square/City Centre Mall from Thanksgiving on is incredible.

Looks like the Busker Fest had some out of state groups invited. If you do some asking around, it might be possible to turn your visit into a paying gig. It's at least within the realm of possibility. Good luck

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/music/2018/08/19/street-performers-enliven/

BTW, most unique group I've seen: two Irish harps and a drummer. There is also the occasional bagpiper under full sail (i.e. dress kilt outfit)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2019 02:53PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: September 13, 2019 05:25PM

Looking in to the license, this is just for fun so we are not expecting to be a commercial success. I do some bars and events when I visit and make several trips a year taking care of family business.

Date: September 13, 2019 05:43PM

Good old Utah, land of Feedom,Libertarian ideals and Republicans not taxing people to death. Salt Lake requires a Utah State tax number and Tax Return form for anybody busking in the city. LOL

I hope they don't find out about all the money I made mowing lawns when I was a kid.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 04:56PM

Have you noticed any Mariachis?

My group, Mariachi Culebra Chueco, is always a hit when we play Missionary Farewells. Especially when we cover Michael Bolton or Beethoven...or Michael Bolton singing the 9th's third movement.

Date: September 13, 2019 05:13PM

OK you had me going for about 5 seconds.

My spanish is not so good. But hey my town has started inviting Mariachi Bands and dance troops, local and from all over Mexico for a Day of the Dead Celebration. There was an amazing group form Oaxaca last year and great high school group from Southern San Diego.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 07:40PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you noticed any Mariachis?
>
> My group, Mariachi Culebra Chueco, is always a hit
> when we play Missionary Farewells. Especially when
> we cover Michael Bolton or Beethoven...or Michael
> Bolton singing the 9th's third movement.

Oh say, I've got your Culebra Chueco if you're still looking

for them. They're rehearsing for a baptismo party.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.