Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RBTannner ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 01:54PM

Back in 1975, I had two friends that were hot into the LDS church.

It was then that I became a 'project' with one of them to get me in to the church. Said friend provided me with a whole pile of LDS
material, insisting that since I led a chaste life with no alcohol, smoking and coffee I would make a GREAT Mormon.

After two months of research, I finally prayed to god to gain wisdom as Joseph Smith said he did. I was patient as I waited for an answer. This went on until September 19, 1975.

It was on this date, 44 years ago in 1975, I had my answer. The Law of Eternal Progression, as taught by the LDS Church at that time, was NOT of Heavenly Father, but the original sin of Satan codified into a doctrine!

My initial reaction was like being hit by lightning! I remember calling out "God! If this is not of you, please correct me!"

For seven months afterward, I struggled with what I had learned, and started reading huge chunks of the Bible. All this did was confirm what I had learned.

I finally broke the news to my LDS friend. My investigation into the LDS Church was done and any testimony of it was in tatters.

To my amazement, he 'caught the spirit', and left the LDS Church as well, taking about ten others out with him!

On this 44th anniversary of my revelation, I am curious about the LDS church and if it still teaches that 'as Man is, God was; as God is, man can be', paraphrasing the old Lorenzo Snow couplet.

I know that President Hinkley tried to convince the press years ago that he eternal progression doctrine was just an 'old couplet' they didn't teach anymore.

Is that true? Has Lorenzo Snow's old couplet been thrown under the bus just like Brigham Young's old Adam-God Doctrine?

This old Nevermo's inquiring mind wants to know!

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 02:11PM

I'm a turtle.

You're a turtle.

All ghawd's children are turtles.

And ghawd himself, Elohim, is a turtle.

Elohim's dad, a senior ghawd, is a turtle.

The dad's ghawd, Elohim's grandpa, is a turtle.

It is absolutely nothing but turtles all the way down!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 02:18PM

I love Turtles!

This was from a local news channel I watch everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

Date: September 19, 2019 02:16PM

>> "It was on this date, 44 years ago in 1975, I had my answer. The Law of Eternal Progression, as taught by the LDS Church at that time, was NOT of Heavenly Father, but the original sin of Satan codified into a doctrine!"

Curious.....do you still believe this same magical/ mythical stuff?

Posted by: rbtanner ( )
Date: September 19, 2019 05:51PM

I was more magically inclined way back in 1975, but what I learned in the intervening years, that wisdom is like a 6000 ton freight train. Once the learning gets going, there's no stopping it. I went on to abandon the evangelical version of the faith a few years later. The increased politics in the evangelicals drove me away. The 2008 crash and the EVs forcing the anti-LGBT Prop 8 in California sealed the deal.

Other than attending a UCC church in Guerneville and earlier, a ECLA Lutheran in Fresno, I haven't been to a church in years. I've not darkened the door of any Evangelical church in 40 years.

It may have been magical thinking, but it kept me out of the LDS Church and went on to get me out of evangelical mind think, two things that I'm now eternally grateful for knowing.

Date: September 19, 2019 05:53PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 04:52PM

I would consider the UCC and the ELCA Lutherans to be on the liberal end of the mainstream Christian spectrum, not evangelical.

As for the doctrine of eternal progression, I think it was appealing to some potential converts and a complete turnoff to others.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 07:24PM

Mormons as a whole don't know their own doctrine.

The couplet is nice but D&C 132 states "they become gods, having no end of increase."

The concept of eternal progression is laid out right there. Black and white.

Hinkley denying church doctrine and not claiming to talk with god nor being a prophet was one of the final straws for me.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 05:25PM

This! ^^^^^^^

Mormons have denied to the press, but eternal progression is still an important belief. It is what they are paying tithing for! They believe they will be with their families, and their families' families, together forever. They have denied polygamy, but Mormons believe in polygamy in heaven. (Nelson has 2 eternal temple wives). In the temple rituals, couples are referred to as "kings and queens, priests and priestesses." All these promises are ONLY for temple-going Mormons.

And outsiders wonder why Mormons are so arrogant! LOL!

We are confused because Mormons say one thing and believe another. They deny, back-pedal, and change their doctrine so fast, that even the members can't keep up.

I also had some "magical feelings" that got me out of the cult. I distinctly felt the presence of evil in the temple. I was never allowed to talk about it to anyone. That was creepy--but the naked touching, and the pantomime of slitting my own throat, and chest, and bowels, and, well, the whole experience was eerie. I believe in "intuition", and my subconscious was screaming--"This is not of God!" Instincts usually are correct.

Congratulations on leaving, and in gaining wisdom--all 6000 pounds of it!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 07:42PM

Yes mormons still believe it. Joseph likely got much of the idea from what it says in Genesis chapter 17 when god tells Abraham that he is to be the father of millions of children as many as the sands of the sea and kings among his descendants. Then it's reaffirmed to Isaac and Jacob also.

Where mormondom differs from protestants is that they believe that everyone can become a King/God if they obey mormondom. Protestants just believe that there were some kings among Abraham's descendants that have long since died. And that they aren't those kings but are surfs instead.

I don't know who's crazier, but the bible on a little closer to the mormon side. (in my opinion)

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 10:17PM

yes, this doctrine is still believed, one of the reasons Christians can't categorize Mormonism as Christianity.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 10:37PM

What? No other brand of Christianity preaches becoming a ghawd, and having a big barn full of fillies?

How shallow of them!

What's the point of being good if it doesn't get you laid for all eternity!

Posted by: srichardbellrock ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 03:41PM

I have been giving it some thought recently, if you are interested:

https://unexaminedfaith.blogspot.com/2019/08/on-non-infinity-of-lds-conception-of-god.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.