Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 06:15PM

have any 'mixed-marriages' (marriages with a black african & a 'white' person) been done or sealed in a Mormon temple?

Any first-hand on this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2019 06:38PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 06:45PM

We need to expand the definition of "mixed marriages"

Many marriages have been performed between white and asian, white and Lamanite, white and hispanic, hispanic and asian etc etc.

I am aware of many such marriages over a 50 year span.

Specific black and white occure frequently, particularly where "races" have melted together for centuries such as in Brazil.

Pre ban black or any mixed with black were not knowingly performed.

As far as Brigham "spinning in his grave" he himself performed sealings between white men and Lamanite women.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 06:57PM

Date: September 20, 2019 07:04PM

(so stone me:) Article doesn't say they were 'married' or sealed in a Temple (cprrect?).

'of course' that would be outside the scope of a news piece, no-one's business.

Date: September 20, 2019 07:09PM

Yeah, I noticed that...

But I like to dream big! The fact that he was an RM... How could she have been elected to the city council and then mayor if the word on the street was that she was not married in the temple?

The thought of Mia in the temple, walking around, all happy and proud, brings tears to my eyes... the laughter comes from imagining all the old biddies clutching their figurative pearls at the thought of the temple having been invaded by someone cursed by ghawd from the foundation of the earth.

Date: September 20, 2019 07:48PM

As posted previously, I claim to be the chief instigator of the 1978 PH change 'revelation', to wit:

A few months before the 'revelation', Hinckley & his entourage were in Seattle for a SC that I attended;

I 'caught his ear':

A friend of mine from Mexico was ordained and then did his genealogy; GUESS WHAT !

friend 'did the right thing' & alerted his PH leaders, they said: Shhhhh…

So I gave H the friend's name & asked him if ChurchCo had moved from a 'blanket policy' to one of individual situations/circumstances...

Herr Hinckley gave his entourage a 'who the F is this guy?' look, but said he'd look into it..

The Rest, as we say, 'is history'

Date: September 20, 2019 08:16PM

Sounds nice and you could have been the goad that pushed them off the mark. But while he was an apostle, he wasn't in the first presidency at that time. So who knows. There were probably hundreds of men and women in Brazil who'd taken their one drop of seed of Cain blood through the temple...

I can't give a lot of credit to a man who has this as one of the highlights of his gospel life:

"In 1992 Hinckley made an official visit to Rome where he presented a copy of the Encyclopedia of Mormonism to the Vatican."

...from his Wikipedia article

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 08:13PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> have any 'mixed-marriages' (marriages with a black
> african & a 'white' person) been done or sealed in
> a Mormon temple?
>
>
> Any first-hand on this?

A white Mormon missionary I knew a few years ago married an African American woman in a temple in Utah when he returned home from his mission. I received an announcement of their marriage with photos of them on the temple grounds on the day of their wedding.

Date: September 20, 2019 09:01PM

In my supreme naivete I'm still somewhat hopeful that there is some after-life;

Could there be some form of justice, at least a partial resolution for the intentional wrongs that have harmed others (?)

Not in a legal sense, certainly not 'religion', but ethical-moral.

So, the thought of BY, Joey, and the rest of the 'Mormon Liar's Club' might face some justice, at least as I hope.

Date: September 20, 2019 09:12PM

Are you kidding? The ghawd they made up told them He was so proud of them!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 10:44AM

but I want it the way I want it. I don't want to be thrust into some mess of a situation like I was when I was born with no choice in the matter.

But I tend to wonder why all the leaders hang on like they do. Like Hinckley still doing chemo when he was 97. My SP uncle was scared shitless about dying. Why did some of these prophets hang on for YEARS like they did? I don't get it. My parents were still driving and lucid when they died. They wondered what was coming, but they weren't afraid to die. They didn't hang on forever. I talked to both of them the night before they died. I didn't know that was the last time I'd talk to them. No bedside vigils. I want to die like they did. My dad used to tell me, "I don't want you to be sad when I die. I've had a good life and I'm ready to go." So if they really believe what they say, then they should be running for the exit. My SP uncle spent years in a nursing home scared to death of dying.

You know. I don't care about the justice for them as much as I just want my family and my dogs with me. Even the sisters I don't get along with so well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2019 10:46AM by cl2.

Posted by: All the best ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 01:15PM

Yes, we had at least two such couples from our ward that I can think of. The mixed race sealings were always a black man and a white woman. Not the other way round. The one black woman, white man situation involved a church wedding not a sealing.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 01:27PM

A white relative of mine married someone of 1/8 black African ancestry in the temple.

Does that count? The rule used to be that "one drop" of black African blood disqualified. (And this case involves at least a pint.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2019 01:31PM by lurking in.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.