Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 10:03PM

https://www.the-exponent.com/mary-jane-wilford-woodruff-and-the-267-dead-wives/?fbclid=IwAR1dft6LS0Ehlb3vX4vpyepTvqF0TtCM7Kbdf8nIi0QhoTeUosvQ-0QXF44

Did you see it in the title? "Wilford Woodruff and the 267 dead wives"?

One excerpt:

"The following excerpt is from Wilford Woodruff’s journal entry dated March 1, 1879:

“And I had sealed to me at the altar 74 single women who were dead. which makes 267 in all of the dead single women who have been sealed to me in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City and in the St George Temple."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 11:36PM

who pulled up the ladder and busted it to pieces after he was finished using it.

IOW, he's the guy who terminated the practice of polygamy...after being one of its biggest promoters and practitioners. I don't know the final tallies, but he was probably in the top 10 among the great harem builders of Mormonism.

A lot of people forget that it wasn't only about sex (even though that was really the biggest part), but according to guys like Briggy and Wilfie it was also an alpha-male status symbol.

"How many wives do you have? Only three? Two of those are deceased? Bwahaha! I have 45 living and 300 deceased. Guess my priesthood is a lot bigger than yours. A LOT BIGGER! Don't feel bad. We can't all be super studs with massive harems in both this world and the next. You'll make a fine servant or lower-level manager in the Celestial Kingdom. I may even take your wives off your hands for you, since you obviously have no ambition. I'll even invite you to the ceremony when I seal your current wife to me."

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 20, 2019 11:49PM

"You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things." (Things = wives)

"Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten." (Talent = wife)

Sounds ridiculous?

The founding fathers of Mormon polygamy believed that the parable was about polygamy and multiple wives.

----> "In April of 1843, the Prophet told Benjamin F. Johnson “that he would preach a sermon that day for me, which I would understand, while the rest of the congregation would not comprehend his meaning. His subject was the ten talents spoken of by the Savior, ‘unto him that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundantly, but from that hath not (or will not receive) shall be taken away that which he hath, (or might have had.)’ Plainly giving me to understand that the talents represented wives and children as the principle of enlargement throughout the great future, to those who were heirs of Salvation” (Andrew F. Ehat, and Lyndon W. Cook, eds. The Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph [Orem, Utah: Grandin Book Company, 1980], 2 April 1843 [2] Note, No. 9., p.269).

[Note in the revelation on Celestial Marriage (D&C 132) there are various phrases taken from the parable of the talents such as in D&C 132:44.]

http://emp.byui.edu/satterfieldb/quotes/Parable%20Talents.html

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 12:01AM

I don't think I have enough time to do half of the ones my wife has lined up for me this weekend ... let alone 267.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 12:52AM

financial success.

Having a lot of wives might have been the equivalent of having a lot of sons to work the farm. Assign each of the wives a responsibility and grow your own profitable kingdom.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 09:18AM

I don't have any wives. I'm waiting for that wingless angel with the flaming sword.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 09:56AM

That angel is a girl? Did you promise to wait for her?

I think it's romantic!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 10:28AM

I'll say it again, no matter how fun it is to be in a marriage with a man who desires men and not you, I'd take my marriage and sharing him with other men long before I'd ever share a husband with other women.

My sister, the last holdout other than our disabled brother, has told her husband all their marriage that THERE WILL BE NO POLYGAMY. She has told me she doesn't care which kingdom she ends up in, no polygamy, yet she still goes to church.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 12:37PM

Wouldn't marrying 267 dead women constitute a clear case of necrophilia?

Posted by: Woodford Wilruff ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 05:58PM

Maybe he now knows why many of those women were single. Just a thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.