Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 09:19PM

Why oh why are missionaries who die while serving a mission never mentioned during General conference? Wouldn't it be nice of them to do a honorary roll of them each conference out of respect.I guess that's too much to ask, but certainly would be nice for the family's of those who died.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TOPPER ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 09:30PM

It might discourage others from going on missions, if it was emphasized that some do die regularly.

Posted by: Mahonri1 ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 09:34PM

Would encourage some of the uber-MoronicPriesthood types to find ways to die on the mission to assure Celestial Kingdom spots.

Nothing is too far out for some of these jerks.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 10:04PM

It’s an embarrassment when the magic underwear doesn’t save their lives.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 10:32PM

You still will not get to call home.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2019 10:36PM

and he got killed, I'd never forgive myself.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 12:28AM

I died on my mission. . .

I got better.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 05:37PM

The mission president who had been out about 2 months told a former companion of mine who worked in the mission office that it would be better if Elder Hedning died, since we can't just send him home sick. It will look really bad on my record so soon and having a missionary leave the mission. Dead missionaries get honorable discharges and a hero's funeral. Sick missionaries get told they are going to hell for not having enough faith.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 01:10PM

That's terrible, but I am not surprised. I had a friend that became ill while serving in Brazil. This guy was petite and a small frame; about 115 pounds. He got a parasite and he looked emaciated. He dropped to 65 pounds. He was also blamed for lacking faith to be healed. Instead of going home, he spent two weeks in a SLC hospital and was reassigned to a Mid-west mission.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 12:01PM

I live in constant fear for my dear gd who is in a very dangerous place (IMO). The things I hear about her conditions and the situations they find themselves just trying to get to a location make me want to wring some mucky muck in the missionary department's neck! she constantly writes that she "loves the work" MEH

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 12:27PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in constant fear for my dear gd who is in a
> very dangerous place (IMO). The things I hear
> about her conditions and the situations they find
> themselves just trying to get to a location make
> me want to wring some mucky muck in the missionary
> department's neck! she constantly writes that she
> "loves the work" MEH

This is a classic example of voluntary submission to other directed mind control.
It actually borderes on brainwashing because of the forcible interference by a third party

Date: September 22, 2019 04:13PM

Thanks for reminding me how evil this cult is. No matter how you try to pretty it up, evil is still evil. I’m so glad it didn’t work out for me.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 05:59PM

gemini Wrote:
> I live in constant fear for my dear gd who is in a
> very dangerous place (IMO). The things I hear
> about her conditions and the situations they find
> themselves just trying to get to a location make
> me want to wring some mucky muck in the missionary
> department's neck! she constantly writes that she
> "loves the work" MEH
So who forced her to go to this horrible place? Exactly.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 07:14PM

Another silly question.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 03:09PM

1. ANYTHING to avoid those Awful BORING MEETINGS...

2. AVOID MP & ZL guilt-trips for under-achieving

3. Guilt trip that girl/guy back home who Dear Johned / Dear Janed you... Right?

4. Parents/Bp/SP Promised you this would be the 'Best Time of Your Life'! WTF happened to that???

Date: September 22, 2019 03:11PM

As a group of 10-12 missionaries were finishing up a "spiritual" meeting and this topic of dying in the field sprang up. So the topic went from one missionary to another; each one trying to be more righteous than the other. There were only two of us who were brave enough to admit that we did NOT want to die on the mission. It was most disturbing and nauseating to listen about serving a mission as the most grandeur event of your life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2019 03:12PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 01:20PM

I was dying to get off my mission from day one.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 03:13PM

Ted Wrote:
> I was dying to get off my mission from day one.

---------------------

Lol absolutely brilliant Ted.

Date: September 23, 2019 01:34PM

I wish I'd asked for a leave of absence from my employment before I left; may or may not have been granted, but I wouldn't be so upset about ChurchCo now...

just sayin'

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 02:38PM

god called them home.

god does the honorary mention in heaven so his special and elect witnesses don't have to. They have more important things to interfere with in the members lives......I mean more important things to do to build up the kingdom.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 23, 2019 03:29PM

TSCC places them in harm's way, especially the sister missionaries, which is why dying is so unnessecary. All these 20 year old women do is become prey for criminals. I see sister mishes in my city walking up and down the street at 8:00pm at night, talking to passerby's (i.e. men). Don't they know that evil men look at them and fanticize. We've had sisters raped and murdered in this mid-west mission, so just think of the danger level in 2nd and 3rd world countries where criminals are rampant. Mormons are very naive. I was in London, which is very safe, and many of the GA's female offspring were there, however, mormon non-royalty got sent to third world countries.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 07:11PM

This is a bit O/T and political, but TED's note caused me to flash back to some email I got from a friend showing GW Bush jogging and or bike riding with disabled soldiers from the middle east along with captions how GWB supported these hero's.

My reaction was GWB was the one that decided to sent these soldiers into war, he was responsible for their amputations, disabilities and wounds.

Makes me sick.

Sorry if this shouldn't be discussed here.

Date: September 23, 2019 03:39PM

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 04:24PM

I don’t know if this was meant to be taking literally, or just to make a point,but I remember hearing someone say that it’s better to die on your mission ,than coming home in disgrace, early

Date: September 28, 2019 04:56PM

Forgot to add( can’t figure out editing), I’m talking about going home early because you “ can’t hack it”, or are caught doing something against the church rules, not being sick, now THATS sick, pun intended.
It’s also sick how they don’t honour the brothers and sisters that die on the mission, just so they don’t have to admit that people die on the mission.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 05:09PM

Thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got home.

Date: September 28, 2019 07:16PM

Too late, I've been home / back for 50 years!!!

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 09:07AM

Good for you, GNPE -- 38 years for me.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 12:35PM

That's a good point.
They like to imply that going on a mission is service and have further implied it is akin to serving in the military.

Honoring those who died in service is a big deal. The fact Mormons don't emphasize this is interesting.

Of course it isn't really "service" to go out selling a religion, and the missionaries did not die out of bravery. Besides, if they were righteous and obedient, they would have been protected. The problem is, Mormons have many conflicting clichés to explain the death.

Even award shows (Grammys, etc.) pause to reflect on the losses among their community, from producers to costume designers. Mormons typically mention deceased general authorities, but the lowly missionary seems expendable and not worth mentioning.

Date: September 29, 2019 01:04PM

That’s because it’s victim blaming. The missionary did something wrong to cause God to not protect them. Something opened the door to Lucifer and bada-bing.

Mormons can’t get their heads around bad things happening to good people for reasons that have nothing to do with their personal behavior.

Date: September 29, 2019 03:07PM

Missionary deaths and family tragedies are acknowledged during stake conference. I don't know if it's still a church rule in the missionary rulebook (white bible), but it was stated that missionaries were NOT to request their families to pray, fast or write letters to the people they are teaching. Kind of strange for a proselytizing church.

I had just returned from my mission and was voluntold to sit on the stand during stake conference with the other RM's. However, shadowing our appearance was a tragedy that involved a serious car accident. Both parents and 4-5 children died immediately from a head on collision. I think only two were left (one in college and the other serving a mission). It was a very tragic accident

***SICK ALERT***

So the stake president did his number (which is why he was chosen to be SP) his voice cracked on cue and he squeezed out a tear and told members that they needed to be very careful when making pacts with the lord. Apparently, the young missionary was feeling guilt and shame for the accident; beyond the grief of an unexpected accident.

Why?

This missionary had been praying to get one of those "golden" families to commit to baptism. So the young elder pleaded that he would sacrifice anything to convince this family to join the church. So indeed the family joined and was baptized. Then the following day, most of his family perished in a fiery crash. He believed that he caused his family to die and the stake president reaffirms it as a faith promoting story.

Date: September 29, 2019 05:09PM

I would have to wonder about this Mormon God.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 05:13PM

WOW that’s sick. It makes my experiences feel like a walk in the park in comparison.
The way mormons view death is very messed up and they absorb a lot of mixed messages. Then whichever one most supports the mormon world view is picked accordingly when someone dies.

A baby dies: his or her spirit was so righteous he/she only came to earth to receive a body (he/she didn’t NEED to live).
A non mormon person dies; they’re in a better place now.
A mormon person dies: the same thing except we should actually mourn the loss.
A missionary dies: he probably wasn’t righteous enough but since this can’t be said, it isn’t talked about. The only other explanation for mormons would be he wasn’t protected by god, and they can’t believe that.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 05:01PM

"but it was stated that missionaries were NOT to request their families to pray, fast or write letters to the people they are teaching. Kind of strange for a proselytizing church."

I imagine that some investigators were creeped out by getting prayerful letters from the parents of a missionary that was teaching them (i.e. total strangers). I know I would be creeped out.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 29, 2019 05:59PM

¿ did he died ? ~

Date: September 29, 2019 06:36PM

Their god is definitely a blood thirsty one. Sounds like one of the gods in mythology.
If any investigators were at Sacrament, that should of freaked them out.
The comment about the baby being pure, so he/she would just need to come here only for a body, reminded me of when one of my LDS friends came to my house ,and I was babysitting my sister who has Down’s syndrome .
After my sister hugged my friend ( she loves hugging people), she went in her room.
All of a sudden she started talking out loud, to herself. That sounded creepy because I’ve never heard her do that.
In fact, she hardly never talks, especially out loud.
I peaked in the door and she was still talking , pointing at something imaginary. I was going to stop her because it was freaking me out.
My friend just grabbed me and motioned “ hush” to me.
We went in the other room and she said that my sister was talking to angels. She said that she was so pure, that she could talk to and see angels, even god. I thought only one false prophet had those rights though.
She was very much into the church, a 4th generation Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.