Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 03:17PM

Where does TSCC stand on enforcing the Mormon trademark? It must feel awfully weird to have to protect a name that the leadership is trying hard to disavow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 03:42PM

They were unsuccessful in trademarking the name. The commission said the word was in use by too many other entities for LDS Inc to be granted a trademark. They only got a trademark on some longer educational program name that included the word Mormon.

I think the only reason they wanted a trademark was so that the otters organizations, such as the FLDS, could not use the word. I think the LDS church was already planning to drop the name. They wanted everyone to have to stop using it. They failed in that effort to completely banish the word from the commercial lexicon.

Date: September 22, 2019 03:53PM

As I recall, there was an attempt to stop Mormon-like domain names such as dating sites. Now, “Mormon dating” is a non-sequitor. “Ex-Mormon dating” is perfectly valid.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 22, 2019 04:10PM

Date: September 22, 2019 04:18PM

The USPTO gladly accepts payment from all customers. Kind of like a certain church I know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.