Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Middlefan ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:05PM

I have really been struggling because I am having a major surgery tomorrow. Like a fool I called missionaries for a blessing tonight. I haven't been a member since 2005. I don't know how to call back and cancel, I don't think that blessing will give me much comfort.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:10PM

It could still do you some good. The fact that Mormonism is made up crap doesn’t change the act of belief, which is what makes it work. Besides, they would like to feel useful.

But you’re right, it won’t work if you think it won’t. Positive thinking works much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 05:14PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:12PM

when they arrive, tell them you don't really need a blessing, but they should feel free to go to the all the doctors homes and bless them.....just in case the education is a bit rusty you know. ;)

Do you trust your doctor(s). If you do, there's no need to trust in what is essentially an alien living on another planet that they can talk to on your behalf.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:15PM

Call them back. Tell them you have changed your mind.

You owe them no other explanation.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:44PM

Just a passing moment of anxiety, very understandable. Follow your doctors' instruction for surgery preparation, get a good night's sleep, consider your OWN prayers, and have a relaxing morning before you report for prep.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:44PM

Call them back and tell them the Jehovah's Witnesses just happened to drop by and you already got one from them so you're all good to go.

Sending my best vibes to you and your doctors. Good luck tomorrow.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:45PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 05:48PM

Hey, we're humans. We fret, we try to rig the scales, we don't step on cracks in the sidewalk... We're weird!

We grow up with certain totems in our life, and no matter how giant the intellect, we still consider the possibility that pixies exist and that the Bell-Shaped Curve sometimes takes notice of us. (It doesn't, but it's the act of belief that counts.)

You reached out to exploit a totem from your youth. I don't think it's a big deal. If you're a ghawd-fearing person, it can't hurt. If you're agnostic/atheist/laztheist, it's not going to matter a whit what they do, and the lizard part of your brain will give a sigh of relief.

How much you care to share with the elders is up to you. They'll want a share of the glory if you pull through this surgery, and I'm telling you right now, Do Not Give In to Them! Make no vows, offer no promises! Simply tell them that you're covering all the bases, as any person would in such a situation.

At best, tell them you'll treat them to a nice dinner at the Hooters of their choice. But only after the blessing.

Posted by: Middlefan ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 06:17PM

I think I am going to call and cancel
Thanks everyone

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 06:59PM

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 06:18PM

I would say you made a mistake. If they contact you again, leave a kind note on your door saying you have already been blessed by the lord and are on the road to recovery, and leave it to that. If they continue to contact you after that, ignore them

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 06:41PM

Good for you, Middlefan. My personal "blessing" before surgery is Valium, both the night before and the morning of.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 09:07PM

it will be fine OPie ~

brb ~ praying for OPie ~

(srs) ~

read your bible OPie ~

in b 4 ~ OPie is OK ~

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 09:44PM

Don't even worry about it. Like they say in baseball, "no harm

no foul ". You thought it would be a good idea, you changed your

mind. Even if you don't cancel with the Missionaries, they will

feel good because they think they are doing the Lords work or

whatever.

Good luck in surgery ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 09:48PM by saucie.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 09:46PM

My best wishes go out to you for your upcoming surgery.

I hope everything goes easily and well.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 10:44PM

Hahahahaha!

If they still show up, cuz the spirit told them you really wanted them there, tell they you're getting gender reassignment surgery and want their blessing so that all goes well!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 25, 2019 11:17PM

I think I understand. You no longer believe in the "magic" of the church, but you believe in the strength of THEIR belief.

Every now and then, I ask my DH for a blessing, for this very reason. I left the church eons ago, but DH's faith is like the Rock of Gibraltar, and I don't doubt his connection to deity for a second.

Go for it. It's free, and it can't hurt. Besides, if nothing else, the mishies will feel that they helped somebody.

And best wishes for your surgery! I'm still recovering from mine (back in June - orthopedic things go SLOWLY.) Please return and report, OK?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 02:53AM

Good for you, Middlefan.

Your own courage should give you comfort. (I believe that God is within each of us, including you, and including doctors.)

Sometimes it helps to let someone else know you need support, so, you told them, and then decided you don't need it. No harm done.

If they call, afterwards, to see how you are, that would be nice, because it's good to know others are thinking of you.

We are thinking of you, here on RFM! I hope all goes well for you, and that you have a happy Halloween and Thanksgiving, and a merry Christmas, when all this is behind you!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 02:10PM

I've had a couple of random hospital chaplains give me a pre-surgery blessing. It worked every bit as well, and they even said better things.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 02:36PM

Positive thoughts...you're surgery is going to go great. You'll wake up in post-op and it will be over. You'll be fine. When you get there, tell them you're a little nervous, and would like something to relax you...I forget what they normally give. It will keep you calm and peaceful until they put you to sleep. This will all work out..you're be fine.

P.S. You didn't make a mistake by calling the Mormons...let them give you some positive energy...no biggy. They're nice, if you can't cancel..no worries. Sending positive vibes your way.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 03:26PM

Do other religions do health praying house calls? It would be funny if you scheduled the JWs with the Mormons and they showed up at the same time.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 26, 2019 07:24PM

Marrying the wrong person is a huge mistake. Getting baptized into LDS Inc is a big mistake. Asking for a blessing before surgery is on par with wearing mismatched socks. Not to worry.

Good luck with the surgery.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 27, 2019 08:26AM

Hope things went ok with surgery, Middlefan, and hope recovery goes well, too

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 27, 2019 03:01PM

Cut out the middle man. Just ask God yourself to have the surgery go well. All church’s want to make you think you need their special blessings and ordinances. It’s what they are in the business of selling.

Jesus himself said have faith and you can perform your own miracles. He never mentioned a church and needing it’s special hocus pocus. You don’t need consecrated oil. You don’t need someone who is a member of some priesthood fraternity.

Jesus said you just needed faith and that’s it.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 28, 2019 10:30AM

When it comes time for the "blessing", turn the tables, and bless them.

It should do the job.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.