Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 04:41PM

DW always used to confuse abusive male behavior with masculinity, and as a BYU student used to chase that type. She had some pretty hefty indiscretions with a couple of them, which very nearly led to her expulsion from the school. Yet she admires Hank "Crying Eyring" Eyring, and thinks he demonstrates great masculinity by crying during his talks. She is now sitting alone in the living room watching conference on her iPad, mad at me. As we were both eating lunch, and she was watching conference on her iPad, the speaker was crying as he was talking. I asked if it was Eyring giving the talk, and she said yes; I said, "Aha--Crying Eyring." So she got up went into the LR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 05:11PM

Eyring always cries. I had a stake president that would do the same thing. Some of these LDS guys cry crocodile tears at the pulpet. I guess some people dig that.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 05:26PM

Can someone explain crocodile tears for me? I understand the concept I guess, but how do people do this and what is the exact meaning?
I had a boyfriend who sobbed in my arms when he dumped me. A friend said it was crocodile tears. It rang true as his behaviour made absolutely no sense.
I still don’t get it though? Is it just the ability to fake cry, or what? How is this even possible?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 05:35PM

If I understand it correctly, at least how I have always understood crocodile tears is: crocodiles are cold blooded killers and their tears mean nothing other than perhaps some indigestion.

Posted by: logged off again ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 05:38PM

I once read here where the poster watched Eyring give the identical address 2-3 times during a multi-stake speaking circuit. Eyring cried at the same place in his talk each time, demonstrating that the tears were rehearsed as part of the talk.

I searched for that post and couldn't find it, but came up with this one, showing that his tears are phony due to his ability to stop them on a dime -

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1741612

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 01:33AM

And chicks fall for it. I’d add crying on demand to my arsenal if it weren’t so creepy.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 03:53AM

when they can't get the tear ducts working. They just dab at their eyes as though there are tears. No actual tears. But the illusion of tears. Just curl up your index finger and rub it around at the bottom of your eye, while making a sad face.

It's amazing how effective it can be on a large percentage of the population. (Its effectiveness is also one of the things that make me despair when I contemplate the future of humanity.)

Date: October 07, 2019 03:50AM

and also thanks to his famous dad and possibly his cousins, the Romneys.

The Eyring boy is a privileged beneficiary of the rampant nepotism that the leading Mormon families practice at every opportunity.

His boy, Henry J. is the President of BYU Idaho and is also a freshly minted GA (Seventy). Another generation of proud nepotists.

I guess Henry B. feels like the least he can do under the circumstances is incorporate some basic acting skills (crying for dramatic effect 101) into his platitudinous orations. There's still no justifying him being in the position he's in and drawing the compensation he gets out of tithing money. But he's making some small effort and should get credit for that. Most of them don't even bother practicing their crying skills.

Most of these gasbags in suits can only be bothered to just read off the teleprompter in a monotone voice for 5 or 10 minutes causing tens of thousands of Mormons to slip into comas that may or may not be reversible. And they never even say they're sorry afterwards.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 06:00PM

The fake tears are part of the Mormondumb phenom for men. Those who can crank them out in public, either through a "talk" or testiphony - well they get point on the "I'm appearing so spiritual and special" scale.

Now that I am out, I see that who charade as just pure weirdness. Mormons should understand that the rest of the world thinks they are bat shit crazy. Esp little shit's like Erying the rest of them. On the masculinity scale, with 10 being Alpha Arnold and 1 being opposite end - the Q15 are about a 1. These guys are just pure spineless fractions of men with small microsized appendages. That's why they all wear glass, especially Eyring. He needs glasses when he goes pee pee because he can't find his little worm.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 06:40PM

My wife-beater Mormon temple ex-husband used to cry crocodile tears. We taught the Mormon "young married" class, when there was such a thing, and each week, he would bear his tearful testimony about JS, the church, love and marriage.

He never shed one tear, after beating me, and never apologized or even admitted the beatings were bad. He felt I was his "possession" (ask President Hinckley), and that as the priesthood holder, and according to D & C 132, that he had a right to do whatever he wanted to do to me.

He never cried when he saw my arm in a cast, or when I had to go into surgery for my jaw, or when he saw my black eyes and bruises.

He did cry, when I told him I was going to divorce him, if he didn't stop beating me.

Crocodile tears. I gave him another chance, and the next beating almost killed me. I had tried to break up with him, when we were engaged, and he had cried and threatened suicide. I had never had any experience with psychopaths, and was never warned.

Ever since, I greatly distrust men who cry on cue--a huge red flag, IMO!

One exception: My SIL is very unemotional and stoic, but he cried during the temple marriage ceremony to my daughter. I thought that was sweet.

Tears like swear words--the less frequently one implements them, the more impact they have.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 06:57PM

Oh man, I am so sorry that you had to endure that. You've experienced trauma and I can tell that you are now stronger and wiser. Glad you got away from that lil' piss ant ex-hub. You deserved so much better. He wasn't a man. Peace.

Date: October 07, 2019 04:03AM

Being a try-hard TBM, I invited her to go to church a couple of times. There was a counselor in the Bishopric who always cried at some point when he was conducting meetings.

She witnessed his crying both times that she came to church. After the second time, we were talking about the meeting and she said politely said something about the meeting being okay, but then added that she could never understand what "Blubberman" was saying because he was always blubbering and weeping too much.

She called him "Blubberman".

I knew I should have been offended because she was speaking ill of the Lard's anointed. But I was too amused to be offended. Later on my friends and I started calling the counselor "Brother Blubberman". (But never to his face. That would've been not nice.)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 08:32PM

I think Bruce McConkie developed his weepy speaker style. Then it didn't surface again until crying Eyring rediscovered the technique in the 1990s.

What's strange, I don't remember males in my ward or stake emulating this style for sympathy.

Date: October 07, 2019 06:24AM

Me neither; it’s something I only witnessed with GAs. There were a couple of stake leaders who I remember crying, and a couple of men in the ward too; however in their case the tears were real and they were emotional about their beliefs. I feel sad for them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 09:20PM

And when he did, it effected me DEEPLY. My "husband" has only cried a few times in the time I've known him, and it made a huge impact on me and I saw how sincere he was in what he was telling me.

I cry a lot--probably too much. Haven't been crying as much lately. I wonder why??? My daughter hates for me to cry and she thinks I cry a lot, but she always feels like she needs to fix it as my kids went through a lot with me. So I try not to cry when she is around. But then I am a woman. And I actually don't cry much in front of people. My kids just happen to have been hanging around the house when I have cried. I cry when I'm alone mostly.

Date: October 07, 2019 06:27AM

I also cry easily whether sad over something or feeling joy. And when just emotional. My daughter is the same. This is considered weird in my family and I’ve rarely seen them do it. I consider it weird to be as unemotional as they are but I don’t criticise them. However they have shamed me for crying. I wasn’t allowed to cry when speaking at my dad’s funeral; I got my revenge by writing a heartfelt poem which I read out, and it made everyone else cry.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 09:44AM

Wonderfully evocative images of domestic life, Cludgie.

Toxic masculinity crying does seem to charm some women. But is crying Eyring man enough to wear pink?

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 09:50AM

Crying Eyring was even crying while announcing the choir for one of the sessions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 12:54PM

A little moisture always eases the screwing.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 01:00PM

Hey, hey, hey! Some of us are trying to drink their coffee without spewing it across their keyboard.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2019 01:10PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.