Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:41PM

We have been getting all vaccines at our local pharmacy for years, and would trust our pharmacists with our lives. They warned us about these (they come as a matched pair, a couple of months apart) but recommend them anyway. If you are over 50, apparently this stuff is highly recommended, but be forewarned. These babies are HARSH.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:47PM

I type too many things that I'm willing to take my chances, even if I did have shingles for almost a year. I didn't get the rash on the surface, but I could definitely feel it under my skin. It spread from one side to the other. I now have postherpetic neuralgia from it, but I'm on medication for it.

I'm not great with needles and I give myself shots several times a day, but I'm not up to the vaccinations. I do the bare minimum where doctors are concerned, but I do go. I am actually pretty healthy for a 62-year-old with diabetes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 10:47PM by cl2.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 08:43PM

When the twits in Clark County, WA caused a measles hot spot, I was like GIMME A BOOSTER! My doctor was like, Hello! You received a second dose of everrrything when you joined the Navy. And I was like, "Oh. An MMR titer then? Huh? Anything?"

I got nothing, but I also didn't get the measles, so that's good.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:49PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:53PM

I cannot imagine what that had to have been like.

I had, what I think, was a mild case, but it left scars that are still there 3 1/2 years later. I know a lady who had it on her face and there was worry it would get in her eye, so you faced it square on.

They say if you've had shingles once you won't get it again, but I call BS on that, since I have 2 friends who each had it twice.

I didn't know the vaccine hurt. Is it a long lasting pain - like days/weeks, or just for the day or so? I'm thinking I want one.

Date: October 10, 2019 11:05PM

the pain can last two or three days.

I deliberately got the injection in my right arm, because my right shoulder is the one still impaired by surgical recovery. I ache from shoulder to just below elbow.

Physical therapy tomorrow ought to be a real picnic.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 02:50AM

It's not as uncommon as many people think to get repeat bouts of shingles.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 10:51PM

Catnip, thank you for that warning. I plan to get this vaccine, but am waiting until I get back from the trip to see my new grandson. I was afraid of side effects and now I am glad I am waiting.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 11:39PM

I've had shingles. Very painful. Give me the vaccine please !

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 11:55PM

Had the vaccine and felt somewhat ill for the next two days. It wasn't locally painful for me but more a generalized flu-ish type feeling. I'd still prefer that to actually getting shingles.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 01:52AM

My reaction to the shingles shot was similar to yours. Somewhat mild pain for a day or two, and I felt a little fluish. My friend, on the other hand found the shot to be very painful and seriously considered not having the second shot. She did though, nobody wants Shingles!

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 11:55PM

I got shingles for the first time a year ago. They were on the left side of my face and head, inside my mouth, on my gums and tongue and all over my chin. It was the worst pain of my life and my ear felt like someone was jabbing an ice pick in it. Mine lasted about 6 weeks and a year later I still can't lay on my left side, due to itching and numbness. If I had to live with that kind of pain, I would have offed myself!!! Horrible!!!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 12:06AM

As I understand: Chickenpox, herpes (includes cold sores), and shingles are all fundamentally related. For example: having chickenpox can later result in having shingles.

All of these are caused by substantially the same virus (perhaps not exactly the same virus, but substantially the same).

One of the amino acids (the constituents of proteins) is L-Lysine, and L-Lysine can help alleviate the symptoms of all of the above (often in the form of supplement capsules, but it is also available in the form of ointment which can be applied, externally, to cold sores, etc.).

There is, ideally, a continuing balance of arginine and lysine within the body, but when that balance gets out of whack (too much arginine, such as eating too much, comparatively, of foods especially high in arginine like nuts and seeds), the arginine needs to be balanced with lysine.

My experience (and the experience of a number of people I know) is to get some L-Lysine capsules to take internally, and see if they help with outbreaks. For cold sores, etc., get some L-Lysine ointment, intended for external use only, from a health food store or a drug store, and rub it into the affected area several times a day.

(Again: L-Lysine and arginine are both natural building blocks of proteins, so you are already, and have been for all of your life, taking in both of them, constantly, as you eat your normal diet. It is when the balance between them gets UNbalanced that taking L-Lysine in supplement form is a quick way to reestablish normal balance.)

[L-Lysine capsules can be found at both Sprouts and Whole Foods markets, I am pretty sure--and also at GNC stores, Vitamin Shoppe stores, your local health food store, or online from Life Extension, etc. As a general, ballpark statement, a bottle of L-Lysine capsules costs around ten dollars. Take the capsules with sufficient water to make sure they will easily dissolve, because the contents of the capsules won't be of help unless they become bio-available to your body.]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 01:57AM by Tevai.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 05:03PM

Zovirex stops cold sores dead when applied immediately. Over the counter in the UK where it was developed, prescription only in the US.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 06:15AM

The interesting and ironic thing about Zovirax is you become immune to it. They’ve now started selling a new cream with a different active ingredient and i assume it’s due to this problem.

Date: October 13, 2019 06:19AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2019 06:19AM by LJ12.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 01:54AM

Get your shots NOW, because they are always running out of them--especially now that they've lowered the age to 50.

Even if you have already had the old shingles shot, you should get the NEW shingles shot, which is much more effective, and is given in two doses, 3-6 months apart.

I called about 10 pharmacies, and they all had waiting lists for the vaccine. When one pharmacy said they had two shots left, I jumped in the car and drove there immediately. It wasn't until AFTER I had the shot, that I read the flyer telling us that we would have symptoms. I was really mad, because I had plans for the next few days, including a birthday party at my house, and I had to clean and prepare.

I did get chills one of the days--woke up shivering with cold, and put on layers of pajamas and a heating pad. A few hours later, I felt fine. No headaches. No fever. My arm killed, though, but not enough to stop me from doing what I wanted to do. It hurt for over a week, and about 8 inches of it was bright red, and hot, for about 3 weeks.

Go ahead and have the shot. You can't plan to rest for 3 weeks, anyway. Just get it in your non-dominant arm, and power through it.

Now, I'm having trouble finding a second shot....

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:40AM

What exminion said. Just get your shots. Yeah, your arm will be sore for a few days. So what. Better than getting shingles, like Afraid. So many people are anti-vax which is based on hearsay, lies, and ignorance. Or don't get the shot. It doesn't matter to me. When you get shingles and are in agony and popping L-lysin capsules till you OD, I'll feel for you, a little bit. But I'll be thinking "you could've avoided this".

Just don't delay or be afraid.

Get your flu shot, too. It might save your life.

Date: October 30, 2019 08:36PM

I've never had the chickenpox.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 12:46PM

I just took the second Shingles shot in September and had first one in June. A "little" discomfort, but nothing that bad. Get them!

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 03:59PM

I had shingles the winter before last. I was 53 and have always had pretty much perfect health. (I know I am very lucky and grateful for my health.)
My case was very, very mild. But the first week or so, it did feel like knives were being driven into my flesh. It took nearly a year for all the rash to heal.
That said, given my experience, I would not recommend a vaccine. I have also never had the flu vaccine and don't intend to get it.
I can't advise others on getting vaccines or not. I know my situation is unique.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 04:36PM

I've had the same experience with the new shingles vaccine shot as most of the other people who have commented. My arm was pretty sore for a couple of days and I had one day when I ran a bit of fever and didn't feel so great. I did get my flu shot at the same time so I don't know which vaccine was most responsible for my symptoms. Felt fine a day or so later.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 05:20PM

Here's another health warning, which I pass along not because I'm a health-monger, but because the warning is done so cleverly, for us, los cuates de RfM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/dgi6z9/psa_just_had_mine_its_easy_and_could_save_your/

Date: October 12, 2019 01:22AM

Bien chistoso, amigo!!

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 05:38PM

first dose two weeks ago. Hurt like a mofo. You do not lie.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 06:12PM

I had the 2 dose one too. The 1st dose was no big deal for me. Couldn't tell I even had it. But the 2nd dose (I think 3 months later) put me right down in bed for a week. Then it took another 2 weeks to feel back to normal. The doctor said about 10% of the people get pretty sick. Hope it was worth it!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 09:00PM

That's what a friend told me today. I've had shingles twice. That was painful too.

Posted by: Julie Byam ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:31AM

I'm sure The vaccine is painful,but it ,hopefully cannot compare to getting the virus.It was all over my back and neck and seemed to last for several weeks. The worst side effect has for sure been my complete inability to sleep on either side of my body. I have to sleep all night flat on my back with my arms at my sides and even trying one side or another makes me numb and hurts. It's been 5 years now and hasn't gotten any better. I have RA and several other Autoimmune disorders but this being forced to sleep on my back is for sure from the Shingles. I would really like to have my husband get the vaccine,but the Doctor said I will have to stay in a Hotel for 3 weeks to avoid getting it again.I believe that is because it's a live Virus. I was about 65 when I got it and my 95 year old mom said she didn't know anyone that had gotten it and said it just didn't seem very common years ago. Nevertheless I don't remember seeing her for about a month.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 02:09AM

I have been dreading this as I have had chicken pox 4 count 'em FOUR DAMN TIMES. I expect to get shingles at some point. I will really think about this. Thanks for bringing it up Catnip and all the good info from all. Man, talk about a rock and a hard place :(

Date: October 13, 2019 12:50AM

Wow, Sus! Chicken pox FOUR times??

I know the old saw about once you've had it, you're done, and I'm not buyin' it either.

I had it as a kid, and got it again when my toddler son had it. I had scheduled time off work and planned to take a trip to San Diego to visit with my mother and Grandma. I was in the midst of an interstate transfer on my job from Seattle to Cincinnati when I got sick.

I called the office in Cincinnati and gave them my mother's phone number (where I was staying) in case they had any questions. I had to delay my reporting until a local doctor in San Diego (whom I had once worked for) certified that I was no longer contagious and it was safe for me to board an aircraft and posed no threat to other passengers.

Looking back, it gives me chills to realize that in going to San Diego, I was exposing both my mother and my precious grandmother to the disease.

Did the assistant manager in Cincinnati call me with questions? She did not. She called my former office in Seattle, where they knew that my son had had chicken pox, but they didn't know that I had come down with it. So, assistant manager assumed I was lying, and that set the tone for our future relationship.

When I finally reported to Cincinnati with obvious post-pox scars on my throat and neck, she wanted to know why I didn't bring a letter from my doctor. I told her I'd had to surrender that to the airline. But since the airline had allowed me to board, they were obviously satisfied that I was no longer a threat. She grudgingly allowed me to settle into my new office.

Susan I/S is right. You CAN get chicken pox more than once.

Date: October 14, 2019 12:32AM

In general, Susan, those who have had repeat cases of chicken pox are at a significantly higher risk of developing shingles than are others. Only you can decide for yourself about the vaccine, and I have no idea if you have any contraindicating conditions, but you might want to give it a very serious thought, and sooner rather than later.

Date: October 30, 2019 11:18PM

Oh believe me I am. After getting the damn pox (horrible disease) I just know I am getting the damn shingles. I know it is spinning a wheel that is weighted. I had planned on getting the shot but Catnip sure made me think. I will sit down and talk to my Dr. next time I go in.

Funny thing, my kid never did get them!

Date: November 20, 2019 04:01AM

Your kid never got shingles, or never got chicken pox?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 04:19AM

WHAAAAATTT? You can give someone else the shingles when you get your shot? I was around my grandchildren, and friends, and everyone! The doctor and the pharmacist didn't say anything about being contagious! Is this true? I need to know this, before I get my second shot!

My doctor told me to get the new, 2-dose shingles shot, is over 90% effective, and recommended for everyone over 50.

If you are deciding whether to get the shot or not, on the basis of pain and side effects, it wasn't bad enough to not get the shot! Really! I've had worse shots, like the Typhoid fever shot, also given in two doses. I had mini-typhoid fever for three days, each time, and if the real Typhoid is worse, then I was happy to have been protected against it! (If you have other objections to vaccines, then that is just sad.)

The shot was painless, at first, until a few hours later, and my arm hurt for a couple of weeks, but I could sleep on it OK. Mostly, it looked very red, and was hot to the touch. I felt feverish for about a day, but I'm a hypochondriac. I kept taking my temperature, but didn't have a fever. I was able to go to work, and everything. I anticipate the second shot to be about the same, but the instructions say that the first shot is no indicator for how one responds to the second shot. I'm planning on not going to the gym for three days, but that's the only change in schedule I'm making. They say it's good to move that arm, though, but lifting weights might be a bit much. And lifting grandchildren!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 02:34AM

>WHAAAAATTT? You can give someone else the shingles when you get your shot?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/expert-answers/shingles-vaccine/faq-20058137

"The virus that causes shingles — varicella-zoster virus — is also the virus that causes chickenpox. Your doctor's concern may stem from reports of rare cases in which people with no immunity to chickenpox — meaning they've never had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine — have caught varicella-zoster virus from children recently vaccinated with the chickenpox vaccine.

However, there are no documented cases of the varicella-zoster virus being transmitted from adults vaccinated with the shingles vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Your doctor's caution also refers to the previous shingles vaccine (Zostavax) that is a live-attenuated vaccine, meaning it uses a weakened form of the live virus. A new shingles vaccine (Shingrix) was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2017. The new vaccine is inactivated, meaning it uses a dead version of the virus, eliminating the risk of transmission."

Date: October 14, 2019 12:37AM

My cousin developed shingles. Early in his breakout, he and his wife didn't know what the lesions were. His wife, who had never had chickenpox and hadn't been vaccinated, foolishly touched one of the lesions, and was then infected with a full-blown case of chickenpox,

[|] Wrote:
--
>
> "The virus that causes shingles —
> varicella-zoster virus — is also the virus that
> causes chickenpox. Your doctor's concern may stem
> from reports of rare cases in which people with no
> immunity to chickenpox — meaning they've never
> had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine — have
> caught varicella-zoster virus from children
> recently vaccinated with the chickenpox vaccine.
>

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 05:23AM

I got shingles when I was 26 years old. It was right after I had facial cellulitis. I didn’t even know shingles existed before I had it. I was lucky it was a very mild case and I got over it quickly. Herpes is a bitch!

Posted by: Recovered Molly MO ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 01:04PM

I administer these and other vaccines daily. The pain response differs from person to person due to personal pain threshold. Some comment it stings, some comment it burns, etc.

Like all vaccines, there is a possibility of allergic reaction.

The trade off is that you don't get that disease or a lesser form of it.

Ever had shingles? It is a continuous daily, hot burning pain. Some describe it as electrical buzzing or shock. The symptoms can present themselves as a burning rash or painful blisters.

The symptoms commonly appear on the trunk of the body, distinctively on one side and appear in branching patterns, as the disease presents itself on neural pathways. We contract the disease as children as chicken pox. This virus then remains dormant in our nerves and can present it self later in life as Shingles. It is common to see outbreaks in the early 50's, but is more common to see in the 60's.

Outbreaks in the face, especially near the eyes can result in blindness, so physicians take the symptoms very seriously and have to be treated with medications to suppress the nerve pain and viral outbreak.

An active case of Shingles can prevent you from having any planned surgeries, as symptoms can complicate your healing process.

I have seen patients in tears during painful outbreaks wish they had the Shingrex vaccine (2 doses given no less than 2 mos apart) but they must remain outbreak free for at least one year before they can have the vaccine to prevent future outbreaks.

How fortunate you are to have this vaccine available, because it was on manufacturer backorder for several months and I had several patients that I had to reserve their future 2nd injection vial to make sure they completed the series for maximum benefit.

Yes, it hurts and it can hurt a lot. But, seems like a fair trade to the other alternatives.

I much rather have my vaccinations that diseases.

RMM

Date: October 30, 2019 08:47PM

Date: October 30, 2019 11:24PM

Shingrex. Got it. Wrote it down!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:21PM

I caught shingles about 5 years ago. It was the worst pain ever.
I didn’t even know what it was. I had a deep red rash with tiny , miniature blisters all over the top of my right chest , under my arm and across half of my back.
It lasted almost s month. I got the shingles shot a couple of years ago, when someone said that you can get it again, but it won’t be as strong. Didn’t hear about a new, improved one.
I’ll see about that one next week

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 08:25PM

I had the series earlier this spring/summer. In my case it wasn't too bad, but obviously your mileage may vary. This was the new one, supposed to be about 90% effective.
A few years ago my significant other had had the earlier vaccine, in retrospect only about 50% effective--and got shingles anyway. I'll skip the most gruesome details; but it included a short hospital stay and intravenous morphine. That was an experience we definitely did not want to repeat. We both got the new series, as soon as it was locally available; even though it's not covered by medicare; and never mind the pain.
So far, so good.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 02:16AM

Another example here. Had chickenpox and shingles as well as
both doses of Shingrix. A doctor will advise but the short
lived side effects are better than having shingles a second
time. Or a first. The complications can be nasty.

BcE

Date: October 13, 2019 06:19AM

Shingles is awful; my mother has had it and it comes back whenever she is run down. I don’t know why she doesn’t just go and get the vaccine.
Normally I’m all for vaccinations. But I won’t get the flu vaccine, even though I’m a healthcare worker. Everyone I’ve spoken to comes down with the flu afterwards.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 08:33AM

Anecdotal nonsense . they probably had the common cold .

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 08:56AM

It happened to my mom and it happened to me. I was so delirious with fever that I would have believed the church is true.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 08:10AM

I now average 7 calls each day urging me to go get a flu shot.

If it reaches over 25 calls per day, I will consider it.

The flu is not to be feared if I remain healthy by eating nutritious meals, working with real intent and overdosing on OJ, citrus fruits and Vitamin C chewables.

If I do get the flu, well, I will be immune in the future.

How so many minor ailments became 5-Alarm URGENCIES escapes me.

I don't allow anything into my body that has been made by BigPharma.

Trust is essential to survival, and I have none.

I've not had a headache for 25 years and I sleep like a baby, that is fed Nyquil.

I am allergic to doctors, clinics, hospitals and all drugs, especially the free or mandated ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVTnwSAFNsQ

Date: October 13, 2019 08:21AM

It’s quite possible to get the flu more than once, just as with shingles. Pretty sure I’ve had the flu a couple of times in my life, it doesn’t give you immunity.
However I do prefer to stay healthy rather than resort to the vaccination, where flu is concerned.

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 11:02AM

Nutrition, however good it is, will not mitigate flu effects. It might be light, and it could hospitalize you. People also die from the flu. But it is your decision. I'm not too sure on the immune part. There are many varities of flu, all are different. You might want to re-think your anti-vax philosophy. But it is your decision. But please stay away from the rest of us when you get ill.

And you are not allergic to doctors, clinics, hospitals and all drugs except perhaps in your own mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2019 11:03AM by Phil in Roy.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 08:36AM

What if were to be made by small pharma ?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 01:22PM

I was told the vaccine is not painful.

I guess you would have to consider which

would be more painful, the vaccine or the

Shingles.

I don't wanna find out.

Posted by: mormon zombie nightmares ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 06:24PM

LOL--I'm sitting here lurking, because I don't feel like doing anything today!

I had my second shingles shot yesterday. I feel better than I did with the first shot. I just feel sleepy, and have a slight headache, not bad enough to take Tylenol. I don't like drugs, either, but I do believe in vaccinations. I know people who have had crippling polio, and my brother almost died of smallpox, and I had the flu during a flu epidemic, and that was the sickest I've ever been in my life.

My family and I are around children and babies all the time, and we volunteer in the schools, and shop in public places, visit friends in the hospital, etc. Get vaccinated out of consideration for others.

I haven't been really sick, but I feel "under the weather", as the shot-pharmacist put it. I could work, if I absolutely had to, but this is a good excuse to stay home and chill. So far, so good....

I had to call a lot of pharmacies, and had to drive to a Walgreens across the city, to get the shot quickly, before they ran out. Places do have a waiting list, but they will not "save" a dose for you.

I have never known anyone who got the flu from a flu shot! My family and I have been getting those every year, for many years, now. Probably the people you are thinking of caught the flu before the vaccination had a chance to take effect. It takes two weeks.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 10:10AM

I had round one on Friday along with my high dose flu shot. My only complaint is I sleep on my side and that was really not a plan on Friday night. However, I made up for no sleep Friday night by napping so hard I did not hear my brother and the dog come over Saturday afternoon and wander around in the house. He texted me later to tell me what he took, which I knew he was going to do.

Mostly I was stiff and that seems to be gone this morning. Round 2 will be right before Christmas, so we shall see.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:04PM

Had mine. No problem. Better than getting shingles in my eye, like a friend I know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.