Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eyes1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 06:24PM

This site had been helpful when I had moved to an island during a few years process of leaving the church. After moving back home, I am considering going back to the church. Watching this past general conference was reminder of many things that have been missing and knowing that I'm making right decisions. The good things it had done for in life that couldn't have happened by other processes. Wondering if anyone has thoughts or if they've dealt with anything similar?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 06:33PM

I would rather have my penis hacked off by a paper cutter than submit my eternal soul to the machinations of the 'ignert' homophobes who pervert the word of a generally harmless ghawd.

But that's just me. Good luck with your life!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 06:40PM

The Mormon Church. What a wonderful organization to belong to for anyone who is a bigot, misogynist, and homophobe or just doesn't care about anybody but themselves.

I am always shocked at adults who feel like they can't be a good person on their own without someone telling them what to do, aka, insisting they obey.

Posted by: Anon 100 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:28PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Mormon Church. What a wonderful organization
> to belong to for anyone who is a bigot,
> misogynist, and homophobe or just doesn't care
> about anybody but themselves.

Yet a lot of the members are none of these things.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:35PM

Very true, but this excellent brand of human beings can be found virtually everywhere, not just within the membership of the mormon church.

For example, join a Sierra Club hiking group ...

The odds are so much more in a person's favor in terms of finding good people within just about ANY OTHER non-cult organization compared to mormonism. That's how I see it.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:46PM

Those who aren't, are in training. Give them some time. They'll get there.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 06:50PM

I'm sure a recovered junkie yearns for the comfort that the drug used to provide. But that's hardly a good reason to go back to heroin.

The mormon church may make you feel good and bring comfort, but it will destroy you and rob your life in many other ways.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:00PM

What exactly was it about General Conference that you found inspiring? As a nevermo, I really don't see much in the way of genuine spiritual and moral leadership from the Q15. Instead there is just an emphasis on obedience (pay, pray, and obey.) To me, obedience is for dogs, children, and (of necessity,) members of the armed services and perhaps first responders. Practicing obedience is not teaching you morality, it is just teaching you to "follow the leader." And honestly, I don't find the church leaders to be particularly good, kind, or decent people. Instead they seem narrow-minded, self-satisfied, self-important, and often intolerant and bombastic.

Most Christians take Jesus's directive to be compassionate to others very seriously. In terms of charity, the Mormon church uses less than $10 per member per year for community and disaster aid. This is from a membership where families often donate thousands of dollars each year. Compare this to the United Methodist Church which donates to the community 25% of the money that is given by members. Why does the Mormon church care so little for charitable efforts that don't benefit Mormons?

It is not unusual for Mormons to practice shunning of exmos and nevermos. They fail to act like decent human beings to their neighbors. Why is this? Why do they have so little tolerance for those who live and think differently than they do? My mother told me that when she was growing up, everyone in the neighborhood got along no matter which church they went to. Why don't Mormons try harder to get along with others, and to genuinely respect their neighbors who don't care to convert?

If you need someone to constantly tell you what to do, and to also tell you how to spend your money and time, then by all means return to the Mormon church. If the church leaders genuinely cared about their members, they would quit asking them to spend so much of their resources, and to take so much time away from their families. There is no caring, there is just using. They use people just like Joseph Smith and Brigham Young did long ago.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:07PM

Thanks for sharing that. The talks from conference made it easier to feel moral value.. guess like a spiritual high. It is rewarding to do the right thing. And, it is very difficult to share these personal struggles with fear of judgement so strongly condemned on this site. Try to understand people who are being real in their struggle.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:13PM

I do understand. The indoctrination that you got for years from church is strong. I am simply asking you to think it through. If you are looking for moral guidance, you can do better.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:56PM

thank you

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:42PM

I do remember the emotional high I got from attending church and GC now that I think about it. It’s like I was there to learn; I opened my heart and with the atmosphere, all the people sharing the same thing, it did at times feel quite spiritual. And that I could take that away with me for the rest of the week.

However, this does not make the mormon church true. Do you believe it is true, or that it is a lie? It’s either one or the other. Can you be a part of something based on lies? Can you look past that as part of your own feelings of morality?

I don’t know your backstory of course, but I am wondering if you have really researched the mormon church and it’s history. To me, I could never have continued in it knowing that it was all a lie, even if I had been perfectly happy.
My advice, should you wish it, is to first really do some thorough research. People can argue reasons for and against anything all day long, but the truth will set you free.

The high you felt from GC can be found in other places. If this is what you are missing, and you still believe in god, then for sure you can have a spiritual life in a place that is not a cult. Morality and guidance ultimately comes from within, IMO. The mormon church makes people into sinners, then offers a medicine that makes them sicker. Don’t fall into this trap!

For me there were several things that made leaving easier, although as I said it was the truth which made me leave:

-Going to a stake conference about Jesus, but all they talked about for two hours was tithing and obedience.
-Interviews with bishops that were spiritually abusive. In order to be forgiven for things that weren’t even bad, I had to do a tonne of unrelated stuff as restitution. It was awful and messed with my head.
-Judgmental people. A lot of unchristlike behaviour from so many.
-Homophobia, racism, sexism, snobbishness. It wasn’t a moral place for me any more.
-Since then I have been shunned by family. This kinda says it all.

I could probably write a book on reasons to stay away. I’m much happier ten years on and I’m so glad I left. It’s only with time I saw more and more things. It was like a cloud lifted.

If you’re at all uncertain, give it more time to decide. Do your research, and weigh it up. Can you be a part of a cult that is based on lies? Do you doubt it is this? Look into it more. Can you find what you’re looking for elsewhere and within yourself too?(Yes:-))

Date: October 11, 2019 08:00PM

these comments are very thought provoking. it is based on lies that i hadn't wanted to be a part of

Date: October 11, 2019 07:10PM

> Try to understand people
> who are being real in
> their struggle.

...just as you need to understand that coming to an exmormon site to crow about going back to mormonism is likely to elicit exactly what you're seeing.

I testify to you that mormonism sucks. Now you testify to me that it's the bee's knees. Hooray for being humans!

Date: October 11, 2019 07:13PM

that is very rude. i understand mormonism sucks, that is why i am sharing here... and not some lds site genius

Date: October 11, 2019 07:25PM

Rude?

I testify to you that I've been very polite, by my standards.

You're welcome!

Date: October 11, 2019 07:22PM

You say that you feel something is missing. What exactly is missing? Does it relate to your following comment about knowing what right decisions to make?
That’s something I initially missed when I left the mormon church. Belonging to something bigger than myself, a whole community, and a structure to my life where I would find guidance in every thing that I thought and chose to do. Luckily it was the only thing I missed and so I would never have gone back. It was only later that I realised the structure the mormon church had given me was abusive and cult like. Please look up the definition of a cult by Steven Hassan - the BITE model. https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/
Cults control your Behaviour, Information, Thoughts and Emotions. In my opinion this is what you are probably missing. It is difficult to decide on your own what your own morality is. But you are perfectly capable of working out your own values and beliefs on your own. This is the beauty of being human.

I assume you still believe in god? If so, and if there is a god, you do not need a church to pray and receive guidance and help. But if you are missing community, then you would be better off finding a Christian church to attend.

I hope that you will not waste any more of your life within this organisation. It is an abusive system, regardless of any goodness you might find there amongst some of the people. There is a dark side. The mormon corporation only wants to control you and get your money. You are free, and I know that is scary, but this is a good thing. You don’t need it.

I’m also really curious as to what in GC made you feel like going back?? GC to me is the worst part of the mormon church. It really gives me the creeps. We won’t judge you here for sharing; but it might be good for you to hear an alternative take on things before you make a final decision. Ultimately, listen to your gut. Don’t allow yourself to be manipulated emotionally. You don’t need these old men telling you what to do and how to live. They are not good people.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:36PM

There were women who spoke as well, however without much voice. It was hearing from conference some moral strengths that are devoid in my current work environment. And, having closeness to community that was nearest thing to family ive known. Everyone needs that on some level. Thanks for that link, it is good to see valid, logical reasons with facts. As for god, i do not believe in god or christianity. Have participated in a couple buddhist and hindu temples in past few years but something is still not fitting together.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:47PM

Hmm. I don’t think you would last long if you went back, not if you don’t believe in god. It won’t be long until you are pressured or shamed into getting a temple recommend and then you have to testify you believe in god and Jesus and the truthfulness of the church. You won’t be able to. So then you will be treated as a less than worthy mormon and you’ll end up leaving again. Kind of pointless.
Sounds like you are reminiscing a bit? I’ve had better spiritual experiences listening to classical music and attending other churches than going to the mormon church. Or walking in nature, or reading philosophy. I don’t believe you are seriously thinking of returning ;-)

Date: October 11, 2019 08:01PM

well... haha clever people on this site, i see

Date: October 12, 2019 04:50AM

What do you mean? Is this a sarcastic comment? or are you saying you are not serious and this thread you have created wasn’t serious? I’m guessing you are laughing at the thought of having to bear your testimony, and it’s funny because you don’t have one...yeah, you won’t last five minutes, the Mormons will tear you to shreds :-)

Date: October 11, 2019 08:14PM

I know how you feel. I think I partly joined the mormon church as there was stuff lacking with family relationships. Ironic that eventually it messed up my family more. I sometimes feel I have no one.
I went through the following process over the past ten years since leaving:-
- Becoming agnostic. I didn’t want to think about religion at all I was so sick of it.
-I explored Buddhism and wanted to be a Buddhist, but the teachings on karma I felt were open to manipulation/abuse even if only self inflicted.
-Looking into Hinduism; not to a great extent, but mostly because I do yoga, which I love.
-Feeling like something was missing. So I became a Christian just like in my childhood. Couldn’t find a church I was comfortable in, except to some extent the Church of England - this is because I was raised that way. It is familiar and therefore comforting to me.
-But stuff in the bible didn’t add up and it felt wrong. After watching stuff by Dawkins and Hitchens I became an atheist.

So now there is nothing. Supposedly. And I should feel empty and scared. But although I miss the comfort of faith, for the first time in my life my mind is clear.
And there is still philosophy, science and the wonder of nature. I love the outdoors, the ocean and the stars. I love music. I love these things more than ever before. I feel my mind is free.

Morality is something we get to decide for ourselves. It’s that simple. As mormons we got used to being told everything. You can discover so much more on your own.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:23PM

--- wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 07:24PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 11:25PM

Fat paws

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:29PM

"Watching this past general conference was reminder of many things that have been missing"

Like what? Outsourcing your conscience to a bunch of old men that have no idea you even exist? Guilt trips? Pressure to conform? Others judging your life choices? Passive-aggressive comments? Fear of anything outside the church? Giving up your free time and money to an ungrateful, entitled organization? Chanting in funny robes?

"The good things it had done for in life that couldn't have happened by other processes."

Such as… ?

Looking back, I see that you haven't posted here in three years. Might I suggest you re-read your old posts to remind yourself why you left in the first place.

We occasionally get a post from a true believer, posing as an exmo, informing us that he/she is returning to church, implying that mormonism is OK after all and we too ought to reconsider. That's why some responses are less than sympathetic.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:40PM

oh, thanks for mentioning that. Explains a lot. I'll re-read some of those posts.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:30PM

eyes1 Wrote:
> I am considering
> going back to the church.

Yeah. Good luck with that. <<eyeroll>>

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 07:30PM

Eyes1 you said about the church, "The good things it had done for in life that couldn't have happened by other processes." I am interested in you sharing those good things as you see them.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:46PM

i really want to respond to this, but it involves some very personal experiences and healing. Basically, the years of building on moral principles helped with perspective. It probably wasn't worth the cost, idk.

Date: October 11, 2019 07:55PM

I supposed there were some good morals taught in the mormon church. But they aren’t unique to mormonism! The same would apply if you’d been raised in another religion.
I joined the church because the missionaries rescued me from an abusive relationship. My testimony was partly based on this fact. If they hadn’t come, I could have been in a dire situation for a long time. My brothers testimony was also later based partly on this series of events. It’s a bit of a stretch because in reality I will never know what would have happened otherwise. Maybe life would have been better even? And yes, for a couple of years I did have some special experiences due to this turn of events, but it doesn’t make the church true and it doesn’t mean I should go back! I’ve likewise had relationships that were once important to me and added to my life in positive ways. That doesn’t mean we should get back together! In fact on the couple of occasions I have done that it was a disaster. You can’t recreate the past.

Date: October 11, 2019 08:09PM

yes, my experiences were similar in church but with helping provide way to escape abusive environment at home. Had given them all the credit for freedom. Have moved back to the area i grew up to be near siblings who need help but the same bulletproof feelings aren't there. Will hate to think that was all blown up spiritual high propaganda.

Date: October 11, 2019 08:25PM

What do you mean by the last comment about siblings, bullet proof feelings and spiritual high propaganda? Just trying to understand. Sounds like you have been through a lot, and it’s currently a difficult time too??

Date: October 12, 2019 12:07AM

The only thing constant in life is change. The metaphor that helped me is a stream with rocks in it. If you want to cross the stream, you have to jump from rock to rock. You can’t just stay on one rock.

Date: October 11, 2019 11:44PM

I believe in following your heart. If Mormonism feels right to you, you might have something. On the other hand, your natural impulse for the divine could be manipulated by blind guides having no interest in your wellbeing.

If they have any real faith in God, why the expensive security apparatus and bulletproof cars? Why the tight thought control? Why in the face of zero evidence do they consider “less than” human beings whose only fault is that they can’t buy into ridiculous BS?

Mormonism proves the power of subjective truth. You believe, you have faith, faith produces miracles. You thought the miracles occurred because the church is objectively true. No, they happened because of your faith. Thy faith hath made thee whole, as the saying goes. The doctrine underpinning the faith doesn’t matter. That’s why faith produces miracles in all religions. People feel the way Mormons feel in all religions. Because all roads lead to God.

If faith in Christ resonates with you, stick with it. But, the same as you have no business sticking with an abusive spouse, you have no business sticking with an abusive church. One that uses you by means of control and disempowerment. Learned codependency is what that is. You’re better off unlearning it.

You should be grateful that your faith is too strong to die. Don’t waste it on Mormonism. Go church hopping and see what you’re missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 11:55PM by babyloncansuckit.

Date: October 12, 2019 01:39AM

Reading can fill some of the void. I spent many years in the library and bookstore finding books with various points of view on spirituality and philosophy.

You can also try out different churches. When I lived in NYC I would sometimes visit churches that had a reputation for having dynamic, inspiring preachers. You don't have to join if you don't wish to. But if you need a church community, there are churches that are far less toxic than the Mormon church. You might be a good match for the UUs.

And of course, there are many clubs and fraternal groups that could help you have a sense of community. I practiced Aikido for five years and there was definitely a sense of community. Aikido also has a spiritual side to it. You could try finding a club that would be a good fit for you.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 08:20PM

The good things you remember about the LDS church can be found elsewhere (in organizations or spiritual traditions that aren’t based on lies).

Remember:
There is nothing good in mormonism that is unique, and
There is nothing unique in mormonism that is good.

Posted by: tbrown9163 ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 08:46PM

I don't live inside a Mormon area, but I do have a lot of fundamentalists (as in horse and buggy etc.) in my area that I've known over the years that have left and gone back...for a while, and some permanently.

What they tell me is much of what you say. They reminisce about the past, and they feel a comfort with what they had. But for a lot of it, I would say that they remembered family and friends, and youth. The 'good ol' days' if you will.

But what I've found with them, is that even if they go back permanently, it is not the same. Knowing what they do when they go back the second time, it is not the same comfort as it was in the long term.

As for myself, I found that the other stuff I would have to swallow along with it, wouldn't last one testimony meeting.

It makes me thing of what Harry Truman said: "Times aren't like they used to be and probably never were"

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 09:10PM

Read Proverbs 26:11 ( No offense to you, elderolddog)! It says: “ As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folley.”

Date: October 11, 2019 10:20PM

I'll be so bold as to offer for your consideration that there are dogs with enough savvy to avoid the kind of pseudo-comestible that would cause an upchuck event.

In other words, a perrito who was inveigled to join a seemingly happy-go-lucky bunch of 1950s uncorrelated mormons eventually grew up to be smart enough to eschew any further contact with, or obligation to, the adult version of the impending correlated hell that is now the mormon church.

I really enjoyed growing up mormon in the glorious Las Vegas 2nd Ward, and I really, really enjoyed my mission, and I didn't have much trouble enduring BYU in the late 1960s. But I really, really hated being an adult mormon. Even not believing in a ghawd didn't help. Or maybe that was the crux of the problem?

But the thought of being a supplicant in the institutionalized hell that I consider to be the mormon church is completely beyond the pale!

Date: October 12, 2019 12:22AM

Speaking of pale, I think I know the reason you haven’t turned white and delightsome.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 09:47PM

May I ask why you left the church in the first place? We don't all leave for necessarily the same reasons.

My response is probably a little different from others, but I think if you're not sure and want to give it another try, you should do just that. You need to feel secure in the decisions that you make in life and it sounds like you don't. So give it another try. My hunch is that going back might remind you of why you left in the first place.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 09:49PM

Good luck going back worshping a man who took 33 wives, many of them minors.
It was always about sex, power a and control.

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:16AM

This seems like a harsh response, but really this is what it comes down to: The founder of this religion was a charlatan, a fraud, and an abuser of women. How anyone--knowing this--could even contemplate being a member is an absolute mystery.

And yet all of us fell for it. Not knowing the history, only knowing either a) the good feelings they gave us and/or b) we were born into it and had no choice.

It is a fraud and I hope anyone caught in it will realize this and get out.

Date: October 12, 2019 09:21AM

“Caught” is right. Mormonism is carefully designed to warp your mind so that you can’t escape. That’s a cult, not a religion. OP is still feeling the effects of thought control. Church leaders talk compassion and faith because they are well compensated actors. Their real life actions speak otherwise.

LDS is like a drug. Don’t be a brain-fried hippie like Jim Ignatowski from “Taxi”. Maybe I should refer to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as “The twelve Jims”.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:10PM

I can't imagine going back. Seriously. Ever. *shudder*

Date: October 12, 2019 04:56AM

Me neither. I couldn’t even attend one meeting. My body would freeze up and I wouldn’t be able to get through the door.

Trauma

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 10:24PM

I don't think you're going to get much validation for your choice here.

The church isn't completely devoid of truth and there are certainly a lot of good, well-intentioned people to find community with.

Over the years, I've found community off and on in various local churches that have been less controlling and less manipulative than LDS, Inc. Finding community and drinking the Kool-Aid can be very different things. If you go some place and they're constantly pressuring you to drink the Kool-Aid, it's no fun...especially when you know the Kool-Aid is toxic.

I actually had a hard time leaving when I left Mormonism. At that time, the "community" aspect was more substantial. Most of my friends were in the church. But I just couldn't go through the motions of pretending to believe that the Book of Mormon was really a wonderful book of scripture translated by JS from 'reformed Egyptian' records inscribed on golden plates. I couldn't pretend that I believed that the General Authorities were inspired mouthpieces for God...and I therefore couldn't be a "humble" follower of whatever nonsense came out of their mouths.

To sum up, I think my parents inadvertently taught me (when I was young) to worship truth instead of worshiping General Authorities and the organizational flowchart. They mistakenly thought that objective truth was synonymous with Mormonism. But what came through to me was that truth trumps everything else and takes priority.

When I found out through prayerful, thoughtful examination (always hoping that the Church was "true"), that the truth and Mormonism's core claims were NOT synonymous, I decided to stay true to truth.

I can still go back anytime I want and find some people to enjoy having conversations with and enjoy this or that gathering. But I just can't do it continually because something will always come up where I either have to hit everyone with a cold shower of truth (equivalent to dropping a turd in a TBM's punchbowl) or I have to play along with something that I know is false. Neither scenario is appealing to me.

Date: October 12, 2019 04:48AM

wasn't looking for validation lol. need to be talked out of it and it's working

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 12:07AM

Is this a joke ,or is it for real? I can’t imagine anyone being this excited about the church, after leaving it

Date: October 12, 2019 12:15AM

It’s like the impulse for a romp in the sack with the ex. There’s a good reason you left them in the first place.

Date: October 12, 2019 04:46AM

haha good point

Date: October 12, 2019 05:04AM

I think eyes1 was tempted to go back, but knows deep down that would be crazy so wants to be talked out of it. So perhaps not as serious as we thought, but not a joke either.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 04:43PM

LJ12 Wrote:
> I think eyes1 was tempted to go back, but knows
> deep down that would be crazy so wants to be
> talked out of it. So perhaps not as serious as we
> thought, but not a joke either.

Yes, exactly. The title of the thread is "considering going back," not, "going back."

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 01:50AM

This is a personal decision for you. I think all of us left for our own personal reasons, although the facts are the same, and the reasons overlap. Everyone is an individual--something Mormonism does not teach--and has their own questions, experiences, motives, etc.

So--I would tell you to go and find out! That's what I did, mistakenly thinking that "Mormonism is the best way to raise children", which is a lie. My children's father abandoned us, in a new city, without any alimony or child support, or any contact at all. I felt desperate, and alone, so I went back to the cult. We were in a mostly Mormon neighborhood, in SLC, and the ward house was only a block away. My cousin and her family went to that ward.

After two years of giving it a real try, I realized that the Mormon church was making our life worse. I won't go into all the reasons, but the Mormons treated us like dirt, because we were "a broken home" and I was single, and not wanting to get married, and working outside the home. I didn't like paying 10% of my money, when I was the sole support of my children. The cult even asked my kids to pay tithing on their paper routes and babysitting and yard work! We never had welfare, or any evidence of a "support system" that the Mormons brag about. I was bogged-down with two time-consuming callings. I was exhausted and ill, and needed rest. Church depressed me. The kids hated church, and it was the only thing we ever really argued about. One day, I asked them why they hated church, and they told me! The Mormon priesthood leaders were physically abusing my children! They were abusing ALL the priesthood boys, not just mine. It was the way that ward did things. The abusive leaders got promoted to bishops, stake presidents, and even a GA "Seventies." I decided in an instant that this was not my culture, not my way of parenting, not my life, and I was gone!

You mentioned that your siblings need help. I know that feeling, of having to care for children or an elderly or sick adult--and you need all the help you can get! It's scary to be alone, with all that responsibility.

Did the Mormon church help us? Did it uplift us? No. It always depressed me. It seemed that the Mormons were working against us. When I quit my callings, and we stopped attending, the Mormons harassed us so badly, that we officially resigned, together, as a family.

Other religions don't teach that polygamy is still "God's way." Even now, today, the Mormon temple ceremony marries couples "in The New and Everlasting Covenant, which is polygamy. The president of the church has two temple wives.

I still believe in God and Christ, but not the Mormon version of God, and not the Mormon version of Christ-like behavior.

Between the time when we went inactive, and the time we resigned. I studied my way out of the church. I resolved to read only Mormon literature, to learn more about Mormon policies and history. I had already read the BOM 7 times, and thought it was awful and boring, and at times nonsensical.

Like you, I wanted to be sure my heart was leading me in the right direction, and it was! I always felt the presence of Satan in the temple. The facts that I discovered about JS and BY and Mormonism were so evil and disgusting, that I can never un-ring that bell. Some of my own ancestors were JS's neighbors, and in on the hoax and the polygamy.

For a while, we went to the Lutheran church, and had good friends there. The boys liked their multi-denominational neighborhood Scout troop, and they got their Eagle Scout awards. They made life-long non-Mormon friends, through sports, common interests, and just being good non-Mormon kids in the neighborhood. I have good non-Mormon friends, too, but virtually ALL of my Mormon neighbors have been shunning me for years, ever since we left. We left quietly, without a fuss, and I don't talk about religion or politics, as a rule of etiquette. I'm a moral, honest, loving Christian, but the Mormon treat me like I'm a follower of Satan.

I wasted two years, trying to "go back." It hurt my children, and exhausted and depressed me. If we had stayed in that church any longer, my job performance would have been effected, and my relationship with my children would have deteriorated. I have watched the Mormon families all around us, and we are so much happier and freer than they--and just as successful, if not more successful. (Seriously, there have been suicides in my ex's TBM family, and drug problems, and parents dis-owning their own children, and adultery, and scammers and thieves and abusers in the Mormon families I know. They aren't all that "special."

Go and find out for yourself--sometimes that's the best way--and be careful with your trust, and don't let your children be separated from you, and put into bad situations. Just be cautious, while you are investigating. Take note of how you feel--your gut reaction--to what is being said in the meetings, and what that church emphasizes. Ask your spouse and children--if you have them--how they feel while they are in a Mormon church.

Keep studying. You don't need to associate with apostates or read anit-Mormon stuff. The Mormon church does a good job of damning itself. Read the "CES Letters" and other stuff on the Mormon website, published by the Mormon church, itself. Go for it!

Date: October 12, 2019 04:59AM

thank you for sharing this! had forgotten how much of an outsider i felt in my last ward. the bishopric mentioned in meeting together when i asked about it that they paid attention with home visits and outings to members who paid tithing.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 02:02AM

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 02:26AM

I was born in the church. 5th generation. It wasn't a choice for me to be Mormon.

When I was 21 I divorced my husband of 20months that i'd married in the temple. The people at church that i'd known my entire life were so cruel to me that I stopped going.

Fast forward until i'm 36. I've married a nevermo, had two kids and after 9 years got a divorce.

I marry another nevermo. He's curious about Mormonism. We have 3 small children between the two of us. We sign on to Mormonism. We live back east where Mormonism is a bonding experience if you have no family in the area. It was a good fit for our small kids, our new marriage and the fact that we had no community at the time. We were there for 15 years.

Then, we moved to the west coast. Totally different. We were treated like aliens that had just invaded. It was the worst of the worst Mormons i'd ever seen. We hung in there because we were there out of belief, not because of other people.

The abuse became over the top. This was about the time that info started appearing on the internet in a big way. Sites like this showed up. MormonThink.com was a major source of info.

After one very emotionally abusive Sunday I came home and went online. I read MormonThink from A to Z. I was totally done with Mormonism before I got through the Book of Abraham.

Of course there was much more, but I was done with Mormonism on the spot. I was 55. I told my hubby what i'd discovered. We both left the church that day. Our adult children left with us.

I was stunned at the scam and the con that i'd been raised in all my life. I feel bad for my huge extended family. I feel like its their responsibility to discover their own path though. Everyone has to find their own way.

If i'd of known at age 21 what I discovered online almost 3 decades later, I never would have went back into Mormonism. Wild horses couldn't have made me.

Especially when I think about the temple cult rituals, the money required to participate, the robbing of my childrens lives through indoctrination, missions, temple rituals, etc.

Mormonism stole my entire family of origin from me. It stole the majority of my life. It almost stole my husband and children from me. It most certainly has stole millions of dollars from the generations of my family who are mostly living in poverty.

When I hear someone is considering going into this cult, it makes me shudder. At the very least, think about what it will take from you. If you don't pay up and wear their cult garments you will NEVER be acceptable. If you have kids that are minors, they will be stolen from you if the cult has their way.

If you don't pay up, there will be consequences that could last for generations.

Date: October 12, 2019 05:04AM

i am very sorry. the west coast mormons are very different and not inclusive. thank you for sharing this

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 05:29AM

Only you can decide if the church fulfills your needs.

I myself am extremely happy to be out of an organization that does not find it essential for the leaders to be truthful or apologize, but demands these things from the members who also pay for the church to survive. The leaders are hypocrites, plain and simple, and manipulate continually for their own power, praise, position, and money.

I believe Mormonism meets the requirements to be classified as an authoritarian dangerous cult....dangerous because they operate in an underhanded, deceitful sly manner preaching one thing and then doing the opposite.

Posted by: Anon anon ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 06:27AM

The thing I miss most is community. Modern society has completely destroyed the community in most instances. I have tried various methods, but have been unable to find the same kind of sense of community outside the LDS in the same way. It is sad to admit that.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:00AM

You are about to join a group that is based on lies, hangs onto those lies in the face of fact, a group that is misogynistic toward women, treats the gay kids so badly that they kill themselves, is so racist that they hung onto their extreme racism toward Blacks and Native American for decades after the rest of the country began changing its ways.

And you have the nerve to come here and state that you look to these people for moral guidance?

This is either a joke or your morals are so weak that Mormonism is a step up from where you are. I hope its a joke for your sake.

You are looking for someone to make your life better besides yourself. Do some heavy lifting. Be moral of your choice in groups to join.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 11:01AM

Please don't do it.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 03:25PM

I think mormonism is more specific and broad in it's tenets than Evangelicalism, Catholism, or Christianity. So becoming a Christian is a step back in brain power. That's why mormons who leave don't become protestants usually or Catholics. Christians are somewhat close minded and refuse to listen to anything. I think mormons are better about listening to knew ideas, that's why the mormon gospel has so much more stuff in it. That's why we are the number one state for MLM pyramid schemes as well.

But GC is like high school level epistomology where as Joyce Meyers is somewhere in the 3rd grade.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.