Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 06:09AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 07:17AM

Thank you.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 08:02AM

All gods are equally real.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 08:44AM

Unfortunately Tennessee has lead the way for Kentucky. We have the "In God we Trust" placard to be prominently hung as a requirement in the schools and the phrase is now on the licence plate.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 01:43PM

Where are you in TN? My kid goes to college in Nashville. She just told me about a dive restaurant called Big Al's. Know it?

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 10:20AM

The work FFRF does is so important.

Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 10:27AM

I love that cartoon.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 12:12PM

The courts are getting stacked with judges screened to support the most extreme Christian views.

The average American does not appear to be able to recognize their own religion is capable of becoming oppressive. Foisting God into everything is a show of power toward how they want to dictate public views.

Not all of us "trust" a God.

Beware, Christians, when you find out that the way you trust God and live your religion may not be acceptable to the more extreme believers.

Christians probably think they are being inclusive for all religions. However, they displaying ignorance that some "Gods" are not at all who they would want someone to trust. Trust Allah to kill infidels? Trust Ishtar, the Assyrian “Murderous Mother Goddess”? The word God, as we have seen here many pointless times can mean anything.

Be careful what you wish for, Christians. The best way to ensure your beliefs are protected the way you want to interpret everything is to keep them out of public places. It never turns out well when a religion is on the path to enforce what everyone should believe.

Really, the motive is that education is the enemy of religion. The best way for religion to thrive is to insert religion into places where children are being educated so they only see the world through the religious filter.

Thanks to FFRF for their work. How inspiring to see this cartoon bigger than life on a billboard. Well done.

To be honest, in Sioux Falls, I doubt most will even get it. They probably think it is a swell idea for God to be in schools. I have no hope America will advance in scientific literacy anytime soon.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 01:12PM

What about all the people in New England who worship Tom Brady?

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 10:50PM

I worship Brad Marchand

Date: October 15, 2019 07:39PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 05:36AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 01:28PM

I vote for Venus/Aphrodite. Didn't Jesus tell us God's most important directive is to love God and to love one another?

Peter and Gordon couldn't "...stay in a world without love"

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 03:31AM

I'm partial to Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom. I found an adorable little statuette of her, in the form of an owl, when I was in Athens years ago.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 01:33PM

Utah has had a law since 2002 requiring "In God We Trust" be displayed in all schools (are you shocked and amazed?).
Utah also has an "In God We Trust" license plate which also displays the American flag. Thanks be to Zeus that license plate is only one of three choices you have when selecting the plate for you vehicle.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 02:05PM

"Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?"

"Which truth?"

Posted by: Polaris ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 03:38PM

Hate to break this to you, but Allah, Yahweh and the Christian God represent different versions of the same one.

Also Buddha isn't a god within Buddhism. Shame the wiseacre never picked that one up.

I would try and explain how Shiva is all gods and also a part of you, if not actually you or a projection of you, but that would make your head explode.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 11:09PM

Polaris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would try and explain how Shiva is all gods and
> also a part of you, if not actually you or a
> projection of you, but that would make your head
> explode.

Shiva is a cool god with a great son (I have been a fan of Shiva's son Ganesh since I was a little girl attending Vedanta Sunday School), but I think you probably mean Brahman (from Google: "the ultimate reality underlying all phenomena"). [Note that Brahman, with the "n" at the end, and Brahma are two completely different deities.]

I've never heard of Brahman being described exactly as you describe here, but your description does kind of fit the Brahman concept.

Date: October 13, 2019 11:44PM

I have 3 Ganesh’s.I always liked him too. I liked him since we’ve studied mythology in junior high school. I like elephants anyway.
I like the ones with his pet rat with him. Most stores that I’ve been to in England, owned by Indians, all had a Ganesh statue up front. I like teasing my husband with the one( Shiva?), who is standing on her husband’s body, holding his head up.
We were at the mall a long time ago, in one of those stores that sold incense and statues and I showed it to my husband and said” That’s her husband “. He didn’t brome and the guy who was working there laughed and said that it was.

Date: October 13, 2019 11:46PM

Sorry, it’s Kali , who was holding her husband’s head,

Date: October 14, 2019 12:15AM

I love Ganesha's mouse/rat too--who is the "vehicle" (think: an ancient "skateboard") who whizzes Ganesh around the planet, as he constantly does good things for people who ask him for favors.

Did you know that Ganesh is actually a [perpetual] little [human] boy, who [now] has an elephant's head instead of the head he was born with?

Here is the story:

Shiva (Parvati's husband, and Ganesha's father) was away on some kind of journey, and while he was gone, Parvati wanted to take a bath. She asked her son, Ganesha, to guard the [exterior] door while she was bathing.

During her bath, Shiva returned home and mistook his son as an intruder. Protecting his family, Shiva grabbed his sword and cut off "the intruder's" head.

He learned, almost immediately afterwards, that he had decapitated his own son.

Frantic, he ran out into the street, trying to find a substitute head for his son. An elephant was passing by, and when the elephant learned what had happened, the elephant volunteered his own head, so that Ganesha (son of the god Shiva and the goddess Parvati) could live.

Shiva cut off the elephant's head and placed it on his son's body (where both evidently melded together immediately).

If you look closely, you will see that underneath that massive elephant head is the body of a little boy.

It is nice to find a fellow appreciator of Ganesha, Hockeyrat.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 04:20AM

And I've heard that Ganesha is a compasssionate god, because he knows what it is like to grow up with an elephant head. Junior high must have been a nightmare.

Date: October 14, 2019 08:32AM

No, I loved the Indian/ Hindu mythology. A lot of good stories. The only ones that were scary, were some of the Yama stories.

Date: October 14, 2019 08:11AM

Yes! Now I remember. I remember that someone cut off his head and it involved a bathtub. I thought he was in the tub, but now I remember that he was guarding his mother.
I forgot that he was a little boy, thought that he was grown up, for some reason. I remember the milk stories too. A lot of milk themes. I liked the baby Krishna stories . He was cute with his chubby arms and legs.
I had pet Fancy and Dumbo rats. They’re not what people think. I liked that temple in India , where people feed the rats milk.
I remember a god having a turtle “ vehicle “ also.
Growing up in a military family, I liked the Krishna and Arjuna stories too.
You’re the only other person who knows these stories.
Most people don’t understand that the blues,red or green skin colors all have a symbolic meaning and ones with 4 arms, etc is because each arm is holding an instrument or something, also with symbolic meaning,

Date: October 14, 2019 08:20AM

https://www.yourpetspace.info/hindu-animal-vehicles/
Here’s some of the stories and vehicles if the different gods.
I never noticed that the Ganesh one had a. “ nazi “ symbol by his foot and pet rat. Of course, the Nazis just hijacked it from an ancient symbol. The pictures with the nazi symbol look creepy though.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 02:28PM

As you know, the swastika design is used in a ton of Buddhist and Hindu temples--also in Iranian art and, as the Greek Key and the meander and in ancient Celtic art, throughout much of the Indo-European world. It originated as a symbol of the sun, wheeling through the sky, and also as a symbol of cycle of reincarnation.

So Hitler was right in seeing it as an ancient Aryan tradition. His government even encorporated it in the structure of the railroad station they built for the Iranians in Teheran. But as you note, Hitler used the motif in historically unprecedented ways. His usage looms so large in the modern mind that it is jarring to encounter the symbol in otherwise pacific pacific religions and temples.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 03:48PM

How many directions are there to head when you're leaving from a point in space? And which direction will take you/bring you back to that point in space?

And who picks the speed?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 07:05PM

Steve's back! we miss your intelligent, extensive, and researched posts. Keep posting!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: October 13, 2019 11:51PM

Awesome protest artwork Steve!!!

Date: October 14, 2019 12:50AM

Welcome back, Steve!

Very good to see you posting again.

Date: October 16, 2019 05:48AM

Or her, or it, or whatever suits the superstitiously creative and inventive mind :-)

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 08:41AM

Since it doesn't specify but uses the generic concept of "God" it could literally apply to any or none of the above, thus it is constitutional as it doesn't favor any sect. The fact that you have to ask "which god" shows that it is a generic and meaningless term.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 02:27PM

You're missing the point. The people who pass these god laws very much have one particular god in mind. They take it totally for granted that this is about their Christian god.

The point is that they should not be taking that for granted.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 10:50AM

Love it. Another case of a picture being worth a thousand words.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 10:59AM

Mother Nature is the God I trust.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 09:11PM

"Once upon a time, a long time ago when the earth was new and everything was just beginning, the earth was covered with water. An egg floated on the water, just one egg. When that egg hatched, Ra was born. Ra did not want to spend his time floating around, doing nothing, so he flew into the sky and became the sun.

"Ra dried up much of the water and made the land. Ra was lonely, so he made a wife. He named her Nut. Ra made many gods and goddesses to keep him company. He put them all to work. His children were very busy running the world. Still, they took time out to have children, because children were glorious things to have! Soon, there were many gods and goddesses. Ra was the father or the grandfather or the great-grandfather of them all!"

I found that simple version on the internet as to how to explain the Egyptian creation story to children.

Now, ask any Christian out there and they will tell you this Egyptian creation story is absolutely ridiculous even as they claim their Creation story makes perfect sense. An egg haha. What a joke. How absurd. Everyone knows Eve used to be Adam's rib and then Satan as a snake got her to make God's plan work by tempting him with fruit.

Posted by: bearlaker ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 10:54AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 10:58AM

The God of Pizza?

Posted by: bearlaker ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 06:47PM

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 01:52PM

Sagan's god, "Yes I believe in god, if by the word, 'god', you mean the embodiment of the immutable laws that govern the universe."
Which was also Hawking's god, "When I use the word, god, I use it in the same sense that Einstein used it, in the impersonal sense of the word, as in, the laws that govern nature. So to 'know the mind of god' is to know the laws that govern nature. I predict we will know the mind of god by the end of this century." Brief Answers to Life's Big Questions, Is There a God?
Which is also Michio Kaku's god, "The mind of god is cosmic music played on strings resonating through the 11 dimensions of hyperspace."
https://youtu.be/TU0I65HsM7U

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 01:55PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: spiritualitysbest ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 01:01PM

Where can I get a bumper sticker that says "In Krishna we trust", as maybe I am a Krishn'an. You got to love how the saying "IN God we Trust" is assumed to only mean Abrahamic one. oh well, people and their broad assumptions. Plus a lot of people don't really trust the OT Diety, I mean deep down. in reality. perhaps with good reason, just saying, fine if folks want to, just some don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.