Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rico Dynamite ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 12:39AM

Mary Sturlaugson Eyer had written two or three books about her conversion to Mormonism. I met her back in the day (late 80s) and was wondering if anyone knows what happened to her.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 03:10AM

Here is a comment she wrote in response to a 2007 blog posting that was all about her. You'll note that she wrote it in 2014...

"Thank you! This morning I awakened by/to such a strong feeling of the warmth of love and couldn’t explain it. Since I have allowed myself to become completely inactive since going to Saudi Arabia to teach, the feeling was somewhat unnerving, yet the call in my heart was greater. It was while looking on the internet for the nearest LDS ward in this area that I came across this website and read all your comments. Thank you; it had somehow been your love I had felt so vividly and strongly as I had awakened. The Lord moves in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform. Although my life has been filled with a lot of pain (losing my dear mother, my brother Roy), I know it’s time to stop running and be grateful for the constant friend I have always had in the Savior. I am blessed, so very, very blessed! Your love found me, strengthened me, and moved me to tears. Thank you for being my brothers and sisters.

Comment by Mary Sturlaugson Eyer — April 6, 2014"

Here's the link to the blogpost, which is very complimentary:

http://www.newcoolthang.com/index.php/2007/07/no-more-limitations/408/

Because I am a cynic (or a realist, take your pick), I asked myself, how could looking for the closest ward land her on this blogpost, on a site called 'newcoolthang'? This begs the question, isn't it more likely that she was Googling her own name?

Anyway, it's hard to believe that just a simple Google search didn't provide you with her possible current address and some possible phone numbers.

It also looms large in my mind that the church and gospel which called to her so strongly in the mid to late 1970s no longer exists and so there is a strong likelihood that the inactivity she referred to in 2014 is still in operation. I'd sure like to think so!

Interesting situation!

Posted by: Rico Dynamite ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 12:32AM

My google search yielded nothing.

I had met her a few times just after the second book came out, but heard some interesting things about her shortly after. Based on what I had heard, I would be very surprised if she was active or involved with Mormonism.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 12:39AM

Email me if you’d like her supposed current address and possible phone numbers...

Posted by: RICO Dinamite ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 03:26AM

I was just wondering if she had stayed in the church or what she had done with her life and if she had stayed married

She would not remember me - her book and story were repeated often when I was a missionary / young adult

Posted by: John52 ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 11:36PM

I was a friend of Mary at BYU in the 1970's She is one of the best people I have ever known, and I would be pleased to reconnect with her. John Wheeler

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 12:39AM

That's one helluva testimonial. She sounds like a great person.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 03:01AM

There is a Mary S. Eyer in St. George, Utah, who is African American and a member of a LDS ward. Maybe that's her?

https://www.deseret.com/1999/3/25/19436185/multiracial-families-struggle-for-identity-br-classifying-kids-heritage-can-be-a-challenge

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.