Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 11:15AM

Apparently, there is a "sport" with a higher concussion rate than football.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/high-school-sports-with-highest-concussion-rates-revealed-in-new-study/ar-AAIOdR9?ocid=spartandhp

But it seems par for the course. Women often have it way worse than men.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 11:44AM

Hmmmmk...they should wear Cheerleading helmets. Problem solved.

Date: October 15, 2019 11:45AM

Small skirts and big helmets. Wouldn't it be hard to hear them?

Date: October 16, 2019 10:55AM

Give me a "C." Give me a "T." Give me an "E."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 12:40PM

IMO the stunts and aerial maneuvers in cheerleading have gotten ridiculous over the years. I thought that the whole point of cheerleading was to, I don't know, lead cheers? At least in gymnastics you have mats to fall on.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 12:50PM

I'm waiting for a TV show called "Extreme Cheerleading".

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 05:41PM

My niece was dared by her brother to perform a couple of gymnastics stunts on the roof of their two-story hom. She landed them, but a neighbor saw them, got both nine-year-olds off the roof immediately, and alerted their parents, who were putting flooring of some sort in the basement of the house. In addition to whatever other punishment was handed out, my brother-in-law took both kids to an orthopedic hospital within a day's drive of their home to see an entire ward of former gymnasts, water-skiers, and cheerleading flyers who had exchanged their sports paraphernalia for wheelchairs. He didn't actually take the kids into the ward, as the patients didn't need to be gawked at by a couple of nine-year-olds, but just looking through the doorway was enough to convince them of the foolishness of their ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 05:42PM by scmd1.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 06:04PM

Statistics vary, according to different sites. I found this on the American Association of Neurological Surgeons site (link below):

Cycling: 85,389
Football: 46,948
Baseball and Softball: 38,394
Basketball: 34,692
Water Sports (Diving, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Swimming, Water Polo, Water Skiing, Water Tubing): 28,716
Powered Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, Dune Buggies, Go-Carts, Mini bikes, Off-road): 26,606
Soccer: 24,184
Skateboards/Scooters: 23,114
Fitness/Exercise/Health Club: 18,012
Winter Sports (Skiing, Sledding, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling): 16,948
Horseback Riding: 14,466
Gymnastics/Dance/Cheerleading: 10,223
Golf: 10,035
Hockey: 8,145
Other Ball Sports and Balls, Unspecified: 6,883
Trampolines: 5,919
Rugby/Lacrosse: 5,794
Roller and Inline Skating: 3,320
Ice Skating: 4,608

The top 10 sports-related head injury categories among children ages 14 and younger:

Cycling: 40,272
Football: 21,878
Baseball and Softball: 18,246
Basketball: 14,952
Skateboards/Scooters: 14,783
Water Sports: 12,843
Soccer: 8,392
Powered Recreational Vehicles: 6,818
Winter Sports: 6,750
Trampolines: 5,025

The list is 10 years old, but I doubt the rankings changed substantially, and this is more complete than other lists I found. I see that cheerleading, combined with gymnastics and dance. comes rather low.

https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Sports-related-Head-Injury

Although my children didn't do much in team sports, they did a lot of solo stuff. I was the kind of dad who was very proud with how high a tree my child could climb.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 06:11PM

Wow!! Who would have guessed that cyclists make the most money!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 06:20PM

It would be nice to see those figures normalized, by which I mean divided by the number of participant hours per activity. There are presumably a lot more cyclists out there than there are little football players.

Date: October 15, 2019 06:30PM

There has to be a big surge of cycling injuries every Christmas Day!

Date: October 15, 2019 06:50PM

Not to mention the kids who cycle to football practice.

Posted by: Mayor Quimby ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 07:12PM

"But why, some say, the Moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask, why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

"We choose to go to the Moon! We choose to go to the Moon...We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD"

I'm sorry, President Kennedy, we can't do that. It's too dangerous!

If we keep being scared to anything in life, we will end up doing nothing.

Date: October 15, 2019 07:15PM

How many NASA scientists were suffering from CTE? If not many, then how did they avoid getting their feelings hurt when others criticized them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2019 07:18PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: October 15, 2019 07:19PM

So, "E" for effort?

And didn't Kennedy also say, "It's not if we should spank our kids, but how hard we should spank our kids!"

Date: October 15, 2019 07:41PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, "E" for effort?
>
>
> And didn't Kennedy also say, "It's not if we
> should spank our kids, but how hard we should
> spank our kids!"

Folks died in the space race. Mostly Russians, but a few of our boys too. So I guess it was a whole lot more dangerous than cheerleading.

p.s. He was wrong about spanking.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 08:41PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> And didn't Kennedy also say, "It's not if we
> should spank our kids, but how hard we should
> spank our kids!"

I am assuming you mean JFK.

I never heard or read that he said this, and a Google search doesn't appear to link JFK to spanking.

Why do you think he said this?

I know his father was a monster, but a more "subtle" monster (I think) than spanking. (For those who don't know, JFK's father had his daughter lobotomized during the period when she was in the physical process of becoming a woman. She was then institutionalized for the rest of her life.)

Date: October 16, 2019 12:43AM

I read that JFK quote in one of Abraham Lincoln’s old blog posts, so I feel pretty good about it. If you can’t trust Lincoln, what’s the point of ... ANYTHING!?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 01:40AM

EOD, sometimes you're so profound that it hurts.

My wife has encyclopaedic knowledge of the Kennedys. She said that while JFK certainly loved his children, he wasn't especially hands-on. Once when JFK Jr. stuck his tongue out at his father, JFK threatened the kid with Miss Shaw, their nanny at the time. Jackie was known to slap a child's face on occasion, but there's not much evidence of JFK having done any such thing. His quote probably would have read,"It's not if our nannies should spank our kids, but how hard our nannies should spank our kids."

Someone commented about the discipline JFK's parents handed out. My wife said she's never read anything about Joe being physically punitive, but that Rose whacked them with rulers and enclosed them in her bedroom closet (which was probably the size of a normal person's bedroom, but still. . .) Jillian said the kids had to stay in the closet with no light on. Fortunately for them, they were mostly raised by nannies. Rose advised that mothers should spend at least one day per week with their children.

Date: October 15, 2019 07:34PM

Whatever it was, it's gone.

Back to the point
"If we keep being scared to anything in life, we will end up doing nothing."

This includes leaving TSCC. When I was at grade school, a friend's mom had agoraphobia real bad. Like she could never leave the house.

It hurt the family real bad. All of them. For years. She got therapy and meds and got cured. But she still wonders what she missed.

Date: October 15, 2019 08:03PM

So you are asserting that kids who played football and fell out of trees are more likely to leave Mormonism?

Date: October 15, 2019 09:54PM

Kids who push boundaries might be a demographic less likely to stay in the confines of LDS.

Date: October 15, 2019 11:17PM

I find that highly unlikely. It is an assertion that, at the very least, requires some substantiation.

Date: October 15, 2019 11:27PM

You're an ex-Mo, I'm not, which puts me at an immediate disadvantage in Gross Generalizations. My working hypothesis is that LDS attracts men who like to have charge of subordinates, but more importantly, are comfortable toeing their superiors' line. In other words, Beta males who like to think of themselves as Alphas.

Thus, my generalization that boundary-pushers are more likely to find their way out. Other than that, I can only refer you to the peer-reviewed, "Journal of Mormon Ptychology XVII:32 pp. 58-69. ;-)

I'd love to debate the female side of this, but alas, you've driven our expert off the Board. Sheesh...you alpha females!

Date: October 16, 2019 12:56AM

The premise for the assertion is that traditionally male activities, and in some instances traditionally American activities, correlate with courage and a willingness to challenge power. That may be correct, but I don't see it as intuitively obvious. Historically, there have been all sorts of mavericks and heroes across the globe and very few of them would fit the generalization MQ is proffering.

That is my point: namely that there may be reasons MQ and others feel comfortable with the proposition that are in nature other than evidentiary. I would feel more comfortable with the generalization if it were supported by actual analysis rather than just hunches.

Date: October 16, 2019 11:46AM

caffiend Wrote:

>
> I'd love to debate the
> female side of this, but
> alas, you've driven our
> expert off the Board.
>

At last! You've finally revealed the comedic genius in you!

Date: October 16, 2019 12:09PM

Yes, I considered pointing out that She Who Must Be Obeyed was driven from the fold not by me but by an elderly but vigorous Lemonite who against all reason demanded that board rules be respected. Credit where credit is due--or some such.

Nor would I necessarily have described SWMBO as an "alpha female." There is a certain inconsonance between confidence and passive aggression.

Date: October 16, 2019 12:26PM

Now here's a funny thing...

were you to examine the record of the final 48 hours before The Last Apocalypse (or Acopalypse; I don't judge...), you would see that I did not post once. Or twice...or any number of times!

For you see, I had determined that I was better off without RfM, under the conditions that existed at that point. Not being one to call attention to myself, I left without a word.

And thus I am not able to take even a shred of credit/blame for the activities during the Final Act. I didn't even hear the final curtain come crashing down.

Since then RfM has been reborn. It is blossoming.

Now if someone would stop pulling my innocent attempts at humor at the cost of the mormon church, my world would be perfecter than the perfection it is now. And who doesn't seek a more perfect perfection?

Date: October 16, 2019 12:35PM

You just moved behind your curtain, got out your voodoo doll, and started poking it. I have every reason to believe that that perseveration was part of the struggle for the heart and soul of RfM rather than for some less seemly purpose.

Date: October 16, 2019 12:39PM

OlderElderCur, As a Supreme Master of Humility (1st Class with Oak Leaf Clutter) I'm nominating you for an Abject Modesty Award, Honorable Mention 2nd Degree.

You realize, of course, you can neither wear nor display it.

EDIT: BTW, not only is my perfection more perfect than yours, it is more unique.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 01:33PM by caffiend.

Date: October 16, 2019 04:31AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> So you are asserting that kids who played football
> and fell out of trees are more likely to leave
> Mormonism?

If you keep being scared to do anything in life, you will end up doing nothing.

There are real bad ideas like jumping into a hungry lion's cage, but folks get frightened by the wrong things. Car rides kill more folks than plane crashes. But more folks seem to be phobic about planes.

I got knocked out once at high school. I fell on a wet locker room floor. The building did me more harm than the game ever did! Never got a major football injury. Also hurt myself bad slipping on ice on sidewalks a few times. But football's the big boogeyman, right?

Date: October 16, 2019 05:13AM

> If you keep being scared to do anything in life,
> you will end up doing nothing.

Yes. But the question is whether football, falls from trees, bicycle mishaps, and other painful experiences generate courage. You assert that they do but apparently don't have any objective evidence to support that claim.

--------------
> There are real bad ideas like jumping into a
> hungry lion's cage, but folks get frightened by
> the wrong things. Car rides kill more folks than
> plane crashes. But more folks seem to be phobic
> about planes.

Something of a non-sequitur.

----------------
> I got knocked out once at high school. I fell on a
> wet locker room floor. The building did me more
> harm than the game ever did! Never got a major
> football injury. Also hurt myself bad slipping on
> ice on sidewalks a few times.

You didn't suffer from your concussions, so nobody suffers from concussions. You were never injured in football, so no one is injured playing football. That's your argument, isn't it--your life has gone a certain way, therefore everybody's has?

--------------------
> But football's the
> big boogeyman, right?

Yeah, I didn't say that. But on second thought, the data does indicate that people who played football in the pros, in college, and even in high school are abnormally likely to suffer long-term brain damage.

So there's that.

Date: October 16, 2019 10:15AM

Snowflakes eventually fall to earth and I assume that toughens them up?

Thanks for the reply to the absurd philosophy that risking brain damage and toughing up people is justified.

Date: October 17, 2019 06:10AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Snowflakes eventually fall to earth and I assume
> that toughens them up?
>
> Thanks for the reply to the absurd philosophy that
> risking brain damage and toughing up people is
> justified.

It ain't "absurd philosophy". No risk means no life. No real life anyway. We'd never have gotten fire and left the caves cause of people like you. Can't use fire, Ugg. Too dangerous. Might get yourself burnt. Keep in the cave, Ugg. Too many saber tooth tigers out there. Might eat you. Don't build a house, Ugg, the rocks might fall and hurt you. Don't use a wheel. It goes too fast.

Don't leave the church Brother Beery. The world's too big.

See, if we got no tough folks, we'd be nowhere.

Maybe I got to stay in and just binge box sets of Sex & the City and Breaking Bad all day. No, too controversial, right?

Date: October 16, 2019 04:56PM

"But the question is whether football, falls from trees, bicycle mishaps, and other painful experiences generate courage. You assert that they do but apparently don't have any objective evidence to support that claim."

They don't "generate" courage, they are courage.

Date: October 16, 2019 06:10PM

You have quite a broad definition of that word. Perhaps truth and justice for you are painted with the same sized brush?

Date: October 16, 2019 06:18PM

Sure. It took courage to fall from that tree, not bad luck. And the kid who fell from her bicycle? That was a courageous decision, not a mistake. Given your definition, courage equals stupidity, lack of attention, and bad luck. That doesn't seem reasonable--unless one is suffering from CTE.

Are you sure that encounter with the wet locker room floor did no harm?

Date: October 17, 2019 06:03AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Sure. It took courage to fall from that tree, not
> bad luck. And the kid who fell from her bicycle?
> That was a courageous decision, not a mistake.
> Given your definition, courage equals stupidity,
> lack of attention, and bad luck. That doesn't
> seem reasonable--unless one is suffering from CTE.

Courage got the kid up the tree and on the bike. Your definition is not my definition. No way!

Maybe you got no courage. That's your problem. But you got plenty of stupidity and bad manners without the courage.

>
> Are you sure that encounter with the wet locker
> room floor did no harm?

You got cotton wool inside your head as well as out? Cause you're a mighty rude and self-righteous woman.

Date: October 17, 2019 10:33AM

Insult is the last resort for those with nothing to say.

Date: October 17, 2019 11:33AM

Is there an emoji for sticking your tongue out?

Son of a gun, there is!

Date: October 17, 2019 11:37AM

Is there an emoji for sticking your ass out?

Date: October 17, 2019 11:47AM

That’s the hokey-pokey!

Then you turn yourself around!

Because ...?

Date: October 17, 2019 12:15PM

Ass what its all about?

Date: October 17, 2019 11:53AM

> Courage got the kid up the tree and on the bike.
> Your definition is not my definition. No way!

Well why didn't you say that? What you wrote is that "football, falls from trees, bicycle mishaps" are not just the means to "'generate' courage, they are courage." Now you are saying that they are NOT courage, only the means of "generating" that trait.

You thus assume two diametrically opposite positions. Do you want to go home and think about things for a while before committing yourself?

----------------------
> Maybe you got no courage. That's your problem.

You infer that from my pointing out your logical contradictions? Quite a stretch.

----------------
> But
> you got plenty of stupidity and bad manners
> without the courage.

So. . . you don't like people who challenge your reasoning?

How can I argue with logic like that?

----------------------
> You got cotton wool inside your head as well as
> out?

--------------------
> Cause you're a mighty rude and self-righteous
> woman.

Date: October 17, 2019 12:16PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:

> --------------------
> > Cause you're a mighty rude and self-righteous
> > woman.
>
> How can I argue with logic like that?

You can't because of your biology.

Date: October 17, 2019 12:23PM

Indeed. Women by nature can't be logical. And if you call 'em lots of names, they melt like snowflakes in the noonday sun of a courageous man's ire.

Mayor Quimby, by contrast, has exquisitely logical mind. You can tell by how many insults he throws out--and by his remarkable fondness for the word "got."

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 02:38PM

I even had a ring to prove it. (They probably made me wear the ring in case I was taken to an emergency room for some reason. Depending on the situation, it could be important for the ER physician to know if an incoming patient is suffering from chronic traumatic religiopathy.)

Date: October 16, 2019 03:08PM

I think that was a Cheerleader Training Recruit ring.

Date: October 16, 2019 03:13PM

Date: October 17, 2019 12:26PM

As if you don't don the occasional ethnic maxi. . .

Date: October 18, 2019 06:16PM

If that's what you mean by a (New England) "ethnic maxi." It was okay for hanging around in, but no good for sleeping, kept riding up and twisting around. Trying to sleep in flannel sheets with it was like wrapping myself up in Velcro!

I'll let things go at that, lest we wind up (pun intended) in an overly explicit conversation about intimate apparel. As you know, we alpha males get embarrassed by such talk.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 09:53PM

For any activity, there is going to be a risk vs. rewards ratio. Obviously the astronauts feel that the potential rewards justify the risks.

Many other activities can normally be performed with relative safety as long as you stay within certain limits. Driving on a highway is a good example. Keep your speed reasonable, keep a good following distance, stay alert, wear a seatbelt, and your odds of arriving safely at your destination are good.

Years ago when I used to ski, I felt that it was a reasonably safe activity. The people who got seriously injured or killed were almost always skiing in a manner that grossly exceeded their ability.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 11:27AM

summer Wrote:

> Years ago when I used to ski, I felt that it was a
> reasonably safe activity. The people who got
> seriously injured or killed were almost always
> skiing in a manner that grossly exceeded their
> ability.

Got that right. I remember riding the ski lift and watching two chairs of kids goofing off in front of me. They were pushing each other, trying to rock/swing the lift chair and kicking each other with their dangling skis. When it came time to disembark off the lift, they tripped each other and fell short. The lift had to be stopped to untangle and one teen had his leg pointed backwards at the knee. So while we waited for a snow cat to come to the rescue, the other two numskulls decided to jump 15 ft off their chair. They were tired of waiting. They also hurt themselves.

Date: October 17, 2019 12:29PM

Well, their injuries will make them as courageous as they are intelligent.

I hope you stopped for autographs since you were looking at future Lincolns, Ghandis, and Mandelas!

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 12:01PM

About 15 years ago, a competitive cheerleader at my undergrad alma mater fell off a pyramid-type format and ended up paralyzed, tragically. :-( She sued the university, but I can't recall if she won her case or not. I remember the cheerleaders at my high school (in the late 80s) were pretty skilled and won some cheerleading championships, yet I don't recall them ever making high formations or needing gymnast-level skills to participate in cheer. It seems like more and more kids' activities and sports are requiring ever-more-extreme levels of skills and competitiveness.

Date: October 16, 2019 12:05PM

<phew>

I'm glad there's no real competition in sex, or I'd be totally screwed!

Date: October 16, 2019 12:48PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> >
> I'm glad there's no real competition in sex, or
> I'd be totally screwed!

But nowadays there are performance-enhancing drugs!

NeverMo in CA:

Your remark about "cheerleading championships" is key. Instead of simple rah-rah cheers and dances, competition calls for not just excellence, but exceeding previous performances. So the kids attempt increasingly exotic, and risky, formations, pyramids, and flies. As was pointed out above, these are done without spotters or mats. Hence, greater risk and more serious injuries.

Posted by: Lead-cheerer ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 04:28PM

I never have like cheer leading, though some cheer leaders have been pretty, well, leading me. Guiding me. Following me.

Rah Rah Root
Give 'Em Th' Boot

One Two Three
Win One 4 Me

Give Me An M
Followed By A
Give Me A Y
Before A B
Give Me An E

What Do You Have?
Nothing. Maybe!
A Win. Dough!
See? Its a Pain.
Cheerleading.

We Need A Win!
What Do You Got?
Cheer me on...
Before I go off-

|÷_*°~-^_:_^-~°*_÷|
Here goes a dance
There go my pants
π=/<X×X-¥-X×X>\=π

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.