Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 15, 2019 09:51PM

Traditional (Biblical) Christians believe in the "gifts of the Holy Spirit." In I Corinthians 12: 28 they are listed as:

Pophecy, teaching, miracles, healing, helps (financial empowerment), governments (administration), discernment (identifying spirits), tongues, and interpretation of tongues. Elsewhere, Paul includes:

Mercy, hospitality, exhortation (preaching), leadership, and faith.

I realize that the skeptics and non-believers will want to dismiss this as nothing but bunk; what I'm interested in things you heard taught, and believed, and perhaps even practiced. Did you hear stories about supernatural events, more dramatic than the usual faith-affirming stories about remarkable coincidences or answered prayer?

In early LDS history, there were stories of people having temple visions; I'm not asking about that sort of thing. Nor am I asking about personal promptings and "direction." What I am curious about is your acquaintance, personal or not, with "gifts of the Holy Ghost" (tongues, especially), even if, now, you don't believe it was real.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 05:27AM

Yes, in the early church--the 1820s and maybe a bit of the subsequent decade--the gifts of the spirit were experienced frequently and fervently. Mormonism arose from the revivals of the time and encorporated groups and practices from some of the frontier's more enthusiastic faiths. Initially the gifts were seen as evidence of the restoration.

Over time, however, the notion that mere members could get inspiration directly from God grew more problematic because it challenged the leaders' monopoly on power. Was it Orson Hyde who was chastised for teaching that his visions were equal in authority to Joseph's? Anyway, by the Nauvoo years Mormonism was more staid and, at least to my knowledge, there were no ecstatic practices when the church removed to Utah.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 05:57AM

In contemporary life, it seems that everyone has a different personality and capacity for these gifts. The Pauline scripture can be interpreted broadly and maybe seen as not particularly astounding or spiritual.
1) Some are born leaders, those with high IQs and interpersonal skills. This would qualify as administrative ministry.
2) Some can empathize and be helpers, these are the followers, the betas, the less intelligent.
3) Teaching takes patience and a willingness to share, most don't got that!
4) discerning of spirits is one to be particularly careful with, because it can lead to fanatical superstition, such as declaring demons here and there, and calling people "children of satan." The Salem witch hunt disaster would fall into this category.
5) financial empowerment sounds too much like 'seed faith' that's grown so popular in evangelicalism or what they also call "blab it and grab it" doctrine. I'm very skeptical there.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 08:34AM

My DW used to see angels in the temple. Usually floating near the ceiling. In everyday life, she sometimes saw dead people. We both witnessed several miracles over the years. Things that were clearly outside the realm of physical possibility.

Not that any of this makes Mormonism true. It does say something about belief, however.

Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 10:02AM

I have never felt anything. Am I missing out?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 12:07PM

Not even the miracle of orgasm?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 10:08AM

Yup. I can identify spirits. They are good for my mouth.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 10:28AM

In my neck of the woods (New England) liquor stores once had neon signs advertising "Beer....Wine....Liquor....Spirits." We don't see the word "spirits" in reference to alcohol anymore, do we?

The Mormon forebears drank alcohol; so did the 17th Century Puritans! Abstinence from alcohol seems to be a 18th Century construct--alcoholism occurred at epidemic levels.

I greatly appreciate the answers. I have a serious interest in what I call "folk Mormonism," especially as practiced in the mid-to-late 20th Century. Northern Utah became more metropolitan during this period, and with it, correlation and a homogenization of the religion. What I want to hear about are the outlier experiences: personal prophecy, visions, and manifestations of spiritual activity that stand out (even if you don't believe in it now).

Any more details to share, Babylon?

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 03:45AM

I used to think I could tell how good or evil a person was by looking into their eyes. It’s like I could see their spirit of something. I think this is called the gift of discerning spirits. A lot of this was probably my own brainwashed arrogance. However, I tend to still get feelings about people, sometimes like a gut feeling when something isn’t right. I don’t think it’s a spiritual gift though.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 18, 2019 11:13PM

Growing up in the 60s I often heard that some apostle or other authority would be giving a speech in some foreign country and had an interpreter. The speech giver would interrupt the translator and tell them they misinterpreted what he said.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.