Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonylurker ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 06:59PM

I'm a flown-the-coop BIC, living a normal, cult-free life, with the usual assortment of mormonism relations, some devout, some in name only.

I just received word that a 16 year old relation has serious chronic kidney disease (stage 4, is the word), with a 'normal' prognosis of kidney failure, thus requiring dialysis and transplantation of a donor kidney. Yes, yes, very sad.

My first reaction was, God has not blessed your devotion to his church, had he, mom and dad super devote mormons? But of course, it's a test. They always have an out!

Here's my issue: they've put up a go-fund-me page because they want to try stem cell treatment/therapy to "save" the boy's kidneys. They say they found the right doctor, with the right treatment, but it's not covered by insurance.

Google referenced a May, 2019 statement by Harvard University stem cell science Institute that says, highlighted, there are no

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 09:48PM

If I get the gist of your post, you're wondering if stem cell therapy works when it comes kidneys...

There's a lot online about what a rip-off it is to expect stem cell therapy to work, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Even the Mayo Clinic is getting in on it, although they claim to follow all the FDA mandated procedures and don't guarantee results.

Here's a PBS special on it, and it speaks to the desperation your relatives are likely feeling, with the resultant push to seek out a miracle...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/why-expensive-unproven-stem-cell-treatments-are-a-new-health-care-trend

Poop is no respecter of persons, status or religion. It's almost like there's no ghawd and things, both good and bad, happen randomly.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 17, 2019 10:25PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.