Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 11:21AM

I was diagnosed this summer with the family "gift" of cataracts, and referred to an ophthalmologist who is widely considered to be the best in my locale. She operated on my brother's eyes and also my optometrist's eyes. After an hours-long exam, she declared that surgery was medically justified, meaning that insurance would pay for the basic surgery for a mono-focal (distance only) lens. Upgrades to laser surgery and possibly a multi-focal lens would run many thousands of dollars, probably well beyond my ability to pay.

However I was accepted into an investigational study testing out a new multi-focal lens. I would get the laser surgery regardless, and either the mono-focal or the new multi-focal lens (50/50 chance of getting either.) I was hoping for the multi-focal, but understood that it was a coin flip. The multi-focal had already been through phase one of testing, and my doc assured me that it was a very good lens.

Surgery was on Monday. I thought the surgery would be the hard part, and recovery easy, but it was the complete opposite. Recovery has been very difficult.

There are positives. My vision at all distances is greatly improved, although I am still using reading glasses for computer work and close in work. If I had to guess, I got the mono-focal lens, but I'm really not sure (I was told that you still might need glasses even if you got the multi-focals.) The world is a lot brighter now, and the most amazing thing to me is the color clarity. The vision out of my other eye looks quite muddy and brownish by comparison (which I understand happens with cataracts.) I expected the starbursts and halos and am mostly not troubled by them. I was told they would likely resolve in time. The biggest issue with them is when I look in my car's rear view mirrors, where the headlamps from other cars put on quite a light show.

There is still a small bit of residual cloudiness, although it has gradually gotten better over the week. The thing that is really worrying me is that I can see the edge of the lens on the outer side of my eye when I look straight ahead. can see up to 40% of the edge, although it varies. My doctor says for most people this resolves within six months. I am desperately hoping that I am "most people." It is very similar to when I had daily wear contacts years ago (I switched from the larger, long-wear contacts due to safety concerns at the time.) I saw the edge of the lens then as well, and never did get used to them.

Has anyone else had this issue? How long did your recovery take? I'd like to hear different perspectives. My second surgery is scheduled for a week from Monday, and I'm hoping that my left eye is fully up and running by that time. It's okay now, but not great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 02:20PM

I had cataract surgery in both eyes 2 years ago but it was a combination glaucoma surgery. It took about 2 weeks until my sight calmed down. I get halos and strobe effect at night but I am told it is due to the continuing glaucoma. I had glasses made that are clear on top and bifocal on bottom for driving or reading. It was the best thing I did. There were others in the office that complained about the multi focal lenses. I just have the mono lens.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 04:02PM

I had them done. I had corrective lenses fitted.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 04:58PM

I remember NO negatives with the one in '95. Just so darn glad to be able to see I may not have noticed anything unusual.

In '01 I did see the outline of the lens and in time it went away although occasionally in low light I still see it. I also saw some occasional flashes which worried me because I'd heard that was a sign of a detached retina. But opthalmologist said it wasn't an issue.

I have the standard lenses and use readers. I had bifocal sunglasses made with my reading prescription in the lower part so I could read while DH drives.

Considering what cataract surgery was like 50 years ago, I think we are lucky today that we can continue to be productive. I can't imagine what it was like for older people back in the day.

Date: October 19, 2019 06:01PM

Thanks, auntsukey. I am worried that the outline of the lens won't go away. You've given me hope. :) I read that they put some sort of coating on the rim of the lens to reduce the starbursts and halos. I get those flashes too -- mine are coming from that troublesome rim, and I figure it's the coating.

I took my eye out to the movies today ("Downton Abbey," which I've been longing to see,) and it did well. It did less well in a brightly lit discount store afterwards. I think it's still light-sensitive. I am resting it behind a patch right now.

My dad had cataract surgery back in the 60s and it nearly killed him. I think he had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. (To this day my brother is suspicious of general anesthesia.) I remember my dad wearing "coke bottle" eyeglass lenses after that. I think maybe they didn't do the lens implants back then. Yes, eye surgery was a brutal affair back in the old days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 06:04PM by summer.

Date: October 20, 2019 02:31AM

they removed the lens but had nothing to replace it with - hence the coke bottle glasses. Also, after the surgery one had to lie still, on ones back, for a long time - many days or maybe weeks - don't remember exactly, with weights on the sides of ones head.

The first implants were considered "experimental", but finally approved as standard level of care. They have been miracles for so many. I recall the main character in the book, "Return of the Native" was going blind which figured into the tragedy of the story. One can assume he simply had cataracts.

The basic surgery involves an incision through which the old lens is shattered with ultrasound and 'sucked' out. A new lens is inserted into the membrane. For some people, after a time, and after the new lens heals in place, the membrane becomes cloudy just like the original lens did and the doctor can blast it away with a laser. I asked my doctor why they didn't just take the membrane out when they removed the cloudy lens and he said that there would be nothing to hold the lens in place.

TMI perhaps? But I think it's a fascinating procedure and I'm in awe of those who developed it.

Date: October 20, 2019 01:06PM

An R.N. who is about my age told me about cataract surgery patients having to lie perfectly still for several days, with sandbags holding your head in place. Yikes!

Before surgery, my left eye was at 20/250 and dropping, so pretty much anything is better than that. My right eye is not in quite as desperate a shape, but my doc told me that my cataract in that eye is significant, so it would be just a matter of time.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 20, 2019 09:02PM

Date: October 21, 2019 01:13PM

Similar to what is used for colonoscopies. Relaxing sedative before the surgery.
You are technically conscious but don't remember anything about it.

As I understood it, the anesthesiologist has the IV in place, kicks it up a notch for the numbing shot to the eye, then takes it down to barely conscious level for the surgery.

Date: October 21, 2019 01:59PM

Date: October 21, 2019 09:19PM

I remember absolutely nothing about my surgery. It was naptime as far as I was concerned. You can have an anti-anxiety med just before if you wish.

Posted by: Anon god in embryo ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 09:26PM

I have not had them, but a close friend has. He had both of his out a few years ago, and no problems since. He is short sighted but was before anyway.

My mother also had them.

"The biggest issue with them is when I look in my car's rear view mirrors, where the headlamps from other cars put on quite a light show."

A lot of modern cars use LED lights which are way too bright. My mother got round this by using yellow tinted lenses, which weren't exactly Raybans but helped cut the brightness.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 19, 2019 09:58PM

The first one released gel into my eye and I was close to blind for several couple of weeks and taking drops every two hours. I recovered and still needed corrective lenses.

The other eye went better but still needed correction. I had an in office procedure for each eye to remove a film that developed. After that, the corneas were causing trouble and I had to have transplants which is a far different type of situation.

My husband recently had cataract surgeries and had trouble with the anesthesia. It made him very sick. The doctor adjusted the dosage the second time, but he still had trouble. The second surgery caused half of his face to turn black and blue. People asked if I'd hit him with a rolling pin. That joke got old pretty fast.

My husband had little tubes implanted with each surgery. They help keep his eye pressure more manageable.

I wish I could help you with your technical questions, but I'm not as knowledgeable as you are on those specifics. I think it will all work out well for you with patience and time. I'm glad you have a good doctor. That makes all the difference. Good luck and take care.

Date: October 20, 2019 01:07PM

Thanks for responding, Cheryl. I do remember you eye surgeries.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 20, 2019 02:45AM

My wife had cataract surgery in both eyes at thirty because of steroid--related (posterior subcapsular) cataracts. Between respiratory issues and ulcerative colitis, she's taken a lot of steroids.

She has multifocal lenses. She saw the edges, though I don't believe she saw as much of the edges as you are seeing. It took her almost a full six months not to see them. Her starbursts and halos diminished and eventually disappeared.

My wife in't using any glasses now and sees well enough to drive without them, and is getting by with close vision, though it's not what it was before. It was frustrating for her because prior to cataracts, she had 20/10 vision.

Date: October 20, 2019 01:09PM

Thanks for responding, scmd. I'm glad that the edges cleared up over time for your wife. That's what I am hoping will happen for me as well. I think I will be able to drive without glasses, but time will tell.

Date: October 21, 2019 02:49PM

I've never seen distances. Can't find my glasses without a 2nd pair. That's all I've known and I'm about to get distance vision and lose the close vision. Not going for multi-focal (toric.) Have a great doctor.

Hope this is the right decision.

Date: October 21, 2019 09:13PM

If I had to pick, I'd go for the distance vision every time. Reading glasses aren't bad at all once you get used to them.

Having said that, close in vision such as you already have is an option for the monofocals. Ask your ophthalmologist about this if it's what you really want.

Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2019 09:20PM by summer.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 20, 2019 09:55AM

Wow, thank you everyone for responding. I and my husband are starting to develop them; insurance won’t pay for it , until it gets worse. We both have to pull over when the sun sets because we literally can’t see, just whiteness.
Now , we are debating ever getting it done.
I don’t want to have it and see the edge, or having to still wear contacts.
Does it weaken your corneas that much?
I have super dry eyes,and that’s with plugs.
My dad had cataract surgery and had no trouble and didn’t need glasses anymore and he’s had thick glasses since high school.

Date: October 20, 2019 10:12AM

Date: October 20, 2019 11:18AM

So, the surgery wouldn’t go that deep in the eye tissue? (whatever it’s called, never thought of that part before)
I was just wondering about the surgery , not fixing the problem and still wearing corrective lenses.
So the cornea doesn’t get weakened?
That’s good, I wasn’t worried about weakened corneas and contact lenses on a more dryer eye

Date: October 20, 2019 11:23AM

Sorry, I meant “ WAS worried about weakened corneas”, for clarity

Date: October 20, 2019 11:26AM

Thanks “ Screen name “ , those are good videos.

Date: October 20, 2019 11:36AM

It makes colors brighter and vision clearer, It doesn't always mean an end to glasses but they are usually not so thick and cumbersome if they're still needed.

The follow up problems if any usually clear up with a bit of patience. Surgery can always have complications but I wouldn't assume the worst. Never heard of anyone being sorry they did it.

The biggest problem I know was with a friend who leaned way down to the floor to pick up his slippers the morning after. That was a mistake and he had to redo all of it. They'll tell you how long to avoid bending over too far and it's pretty easy to follow their directives.

Don't worry. It's a well practiced and long standing surgery which has saved the vision of thousands of deserving patients. So glad they can do it and the the other surgeries I've had. Good luck.

Date: October 20, 2019 11:05PM

Thanks for the encouragement. Bending down must be like lifting heavy weights,maybe it’s related to pressure or blood flow going to the head and eyes.

Date: October 21, 2019 06:46AM

They give you a bunch of "no's" for ten days after surgery -- no bending over, lifting heavy weights (they gave me a 30 lb. limit, but I've been trying to keep it well under that,) no garden work or working in dusty environments, etc. For certain occupations you would probably have to be out of work during the recovery time, but I've been fine. I had surgery early Monday, took Tuesday off, and was back to work by Wednesday. An extra day off would have been nice, but wasn't necessary.

Lots of people are retired by the time they get the surgery. At 62, I was on the younger side of the normal group, although as scmd explained, it is sometimes necessary for adults 21+.

Date: October 21, 2019 09:27PM

>>I was just wondering about the surgery , not fixing the problem and still wearing corrective lenses.

They warn you ahead of time that even if you get the multi-focal lenses, you might still end up needing glasses. I've been pleasantly surprised by the range of good, sharp vision that I have. I can see most things well.

Date: October 20, 2019 01:15PM

Hockeyrat, the people with whom I've spoken have been overall very happy with their cataract surgery. I think you'll know when it's time. My left eye was at 20/250 and dropping, and I was pretty much out of options. I could wait longer on my right eye, but since everything is being paid for, I really don't want to.

The lens that is replaced is at the front of the eye, right behind the iris. Scmd, below, explains the location of the cornea.

Surgery itself was fine, not scary at all. The laser was a little odd feeling, but not uncomfortable or scary. It was like a light show with pulsating lights. I was out completely for the surgery itself. I'm told that the surgery is quick -- no more than 20 minutes. Whatever small amount of pain I had afterward (chiefly a headache, and mild nausea) was solved with Motrin and a good night's rest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2019 04:14PM by summer.

Date: October 20, 2019 02:09PM

The cornea is actually at the front of the eye.

https://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/cornea#1

Cataract surgery inflicts minor damage on the cornea, but it repairs itself easily.

Date: October 20, 2019 04:13PM

Oops, my bad. I'll defer to the doc. :)

Date: October 20, 2019 10:57PM

Wow, so if you were out, how could you keep your eyes opened?

Date: October 21, 2019 02:11AM

I'm not sure if your question was asked in seriousness, but if so:

A. During cataract surgery, often a patient is sedated enough that local anesthesia can be injected without too much discomfort. The anesthesia is usually still sufficiently in effect through the procedure so that the patient remains somewhat relaxed.

B. Whether a patient is conscious or not, instruments are typically used during surgical procedures involving the eyes to keep the eyelids open to whatever degree is necessary.

If you were asking in jest, please disregard.

Date: October 21, 2019 06:40AM

I believe I remember the assistant squirting some type of liquid local anesthesia into my eye before the laser procedure (during the laser, there was a sort of plastic cap sitting right on my eyeball, which sounds gross but was tolerable.)

A nurse gave me 5 mg. of Xanax before the IV was inserted (I'm a needle phobe and wasn't about to take any chances.)

I was given an IV just before the surgery. I remember the anesthesiologist coming into the operating room, and him telling me that it was "time for him to do his thing," or something like that. He injected something into my line, and the next thing I remember, surgery was over, and I was groggy but awake.

I had expected to be alert during surgery, but such was not the case (thankfully.) My neighbor told me that it was the same for her -- they put her out altogether.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2019 06:49AM by summer.

Date: October 21, 2019 11:46PM

No, I was serious. I didn’t know that they had a way to keep the eye opened . I just assumed that they knock you out , like they did to Summer . I was just thinking that, since most people are passed out for surgeries, I was thinking about how they did it

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 20, 2019 10:21AM

This is inappropriate, sure. But I love your writing, its tone, clear expression and heart's gentleness.

I am glad we don't need operations on our evolving souls.

You have become magnificent, in my book.

Take a peek.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Can-C+eye+drops

Date: October 20, 2019 01:16PM

Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)

Posted by: anon 3 ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 09:03AM

the cloudiness is scars. after 1 year, if not resolved they take a laser and burn them off in office. not a deal. cloudiness gone.

Date: October 22, 2019 04:26PM

I had my one week post-op exam today, and the preliminary results are in for my left eye (that was formerly 20/250+):

Far distance: 20/20
Middle distance: 20/16
Close in: 20/20

The optometrist who reviewed my results said, "I can neither confirm nor deny that you got the multi-focal lens, but the results speak for themselves." Whoop whoop! :)

My ophthalmologist looked at the numbers and said, "Wow." She pronounced my eye healthy. Round two is set for next Monday.

Date: October 22, 2019 04:29PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 05:45PM

I've had the same optometrist for the past 7 years and every year during the exam he says, "You're going to be needing cataract surgery in a few years."

Except that two years ago, a substitute did my eye exam and said, "Wow, no cataracts! You're lucky!"

So I've wondered, which optometrist was telling me the unvarnished truth? If a lie was told, which one had the most to gain?

I think I see fine, but of course, I probably wouldn't notice a gradual degradation in the 'light-gathering' capability of my eyes.

Date: October 22, 2019 06:26PM

An optometrist has nothing to gain by referring you out to an ophthalmologist (which is what happens if the optometrist thinks you may be ready for surgery.) My optometrist was on the fence about it, but decided to make the referral because he said my cataracts, although not huge, were "in the worst possible position." My ophthalmologist and her staff proceeded to examine my eyes over a three hour span (it's a far more thorough exam than you would get from an optometrist.) My cataracts met the threshold for insurance to cover the basic surgery. They have to meet certain measurement standards.

Luckily for me, I also met the requirements for the second phase of the FDA study which is providing a $7,200+ upgrade of lens and laser surgery to me for free. There are no copays whatsoever, and in fact they are paying me! ($500 total if I make all of my appointments. I got $100 today.) I am beyond grateful for the help. On a teacher's income, it would have been very difficult, if not impossible for me to afford the upgrades.

I hadn't noticed any degradation of color until I compared my new eye against the other. Then the degradation in the other eye was quite noticeable. The color in the other eye is brownish and muddy by comparison. Everything is lighter and brighter in my new eye. I think this is a part of the reason why my new eye sometimes gets tired. It forgot how to deal with normal light.

When everything settles down, I'm going to treat myself to some high quality sunglasses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2019 09:59PM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.