Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 02:54PM

I am a man. I won't try and prove it to you. I had long hair as a teenage and now as a 49 year old man I'm growing it out. The Mormons aren't happy with it.

My wife has become a convert to my coiffeur. She wants to tame it a bit but she told my youngest missionary daughter in my birthday video chat that she liked my hair. One would have thought I had a gun to my wife's head making her say it.

My in-laws have seen me in some of these video chats and they chide me for me hair. My other daughters just say it looks terrible.

I like it.

What is with Mormonism? Do men with beards suffer the same? I've not known many Mormon men with beards but I have heard they get flack for them.

Thanks. IT felt good to get this out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:02PM

Families are free to work out their own dynamics, and employers in some cases have the rights to dictate grooming standards (though I personally don't think hair length should be something employers are allowed to regulate), but beyond that, what social graces would a person have to lack that would allow the person to openly criticize the length of another person's hair? We're all entitled to opinions, but what sort of ego inflation would cause me or anyone else to believe that anyone else was interested in our opinions concerning someone's hair length?

Posted by: Lafayette ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:35PM

What about getting a mullet?

I have a ponytail.

Date: October 23, 2019 06:51PM

Lafayette Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about getting a mullet?

I am trying to avoid parties only happening on my back and no parties in my front.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:41PM

Aren’t people allowed to work in the temple with long hair and dreadlocks.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:45PM

I never understood the hair thing either. During my few brief years of activity in my early 20's I was taking with a BIL, who was a stake president.

He mentioned a fellow that had grown out his hair and beard and when my BIL called him out about, his response was "I'm trying to emulate the savior."

To which BIL replies "wouldn't it better to emulate the prophet and apostles of today?"

And I thought....why does a guy have to emulate anyone? Why can he just have the look he wants?

Mormonism is all about following, even if your the leader, you following someone else.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 10:07PM

Seems a lot less "morally" compelling when you realize that the "prophet and apostles of today" are only emulating business corporation grooming and dress code standards that came into fashion in the 1940s and 50s and have pretty much remained the same since then.

The Prophet and Apostles have always wanted to blend in when serving on boards of directors, hanging out at the chamber of commerce and practicing handshakes at the local lodge.

You can be sure that if the prevailing business/professional dress-code and grooming fashions change, the Mormon leaders will follow...as they always do.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 08:42AM

"wouldn't it better to emulate the prophet and apostles of today?"

Guys who are too dumb to see through the bogus narrative of their made up religion? Who push their dysfunctional ideas on similarly brainwashed dupes? I’d rather emulate the apostates of today.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 12:21PM

Why did the Mormon church start to discourage men wearing long hair? Easy answer. In the 60’s and 70’s long hair was a sign of rebellion against social norms. The hippie movement was Anti-Vietnam Nam war. The long hair was a symbol of this. BYU needs contributions and rich, conservative Mormons generally supported the War and didn’t like long hair or it’s message. BYU banned long hair and enforced the ban to maintain an image of conservatism so as to appeal to rich, conservative donors. Then it got all entangled in patriotism and such, but it was basically an economic decision.

Date: October 23, 2019 03:54PM

Ha Ha, that’s why “ Follow the leader” is a kids game, not a full grown adult. Mormons are like lemmings, they’re still playing follow the leader.

Date: October 23, 2019 06:51PM

True dat.

Date: October 23, 2019 10:21PM

Mormonism is just a glorified game of "Simon says".

Simon says: Temple penalty gestures gooood!

Sheeple bow their heads and say: Yes, temple penalty gestures gooood!

+++

Simon says: Adam is our god and the only god to whom we pray.
Sheeple bow their heads and say: Uhmmm, okay.

+++

Simon says: Adam is not our god.
Sheeple say: That's right, Adam is not our god.

+++

Simon says: Fence-sitting spirits in the war of heaven were born on earth into the lineage of Cain. They are the seed of Cain. The seed of Cain are the dark-skinned people of Africa and their descendants and they are not worthy of holding the priesthood or partaking in the temple endowment.

Sheeple bow their heads and say: Yeah, that's right.

+++

Simon says: It was never doctrine, you know, that stuff about Africans. It was just some kind of poorly understood policy.

Sheeple say: Yeah, that's right. It was never doctrine. It was just some kind of policy.

+++

Simon says: It was okay for Jesus to have long hair and a beard because that was the fashion back then. But if Jesus were alive today, he'd wear a nice dark suit, white shirt, conservative necktie, dark socks and dress shoes. His hair would be trim and off the ears. No sideburns. No mustache. No beard. No ear hair. He would dress for success and would fit in on the board of directors of any Fortune 500 company.

Sheeple bow their heads and say: Yeah, that's right. That's exactly what 1940 through 2019 Jesus would do. Because he was all about fitting in and following the fashions and prescriptions handed down by the establishment. He would obsess over the color of a person's shirt and whether the person had short hair or long hair and....

Simon Says: Whoa, whoa! Sheeple! You're adding your own stuff. You should have stopped at "Yeah, that's right". But now Simon endorses and ratifies what you added, so you can now repeat it.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 08:47AM

I want to be a cult leader when I grow up.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 04:10PM

Personally, I’ve always liked long hair on guys.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 04:26PM

in b 4 ~ OPie is a hippy ~

Date: October 23, 2019 06:52PM

Too late.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 05:01PM

One thing for is short hair takes about a minute to wash....long hair? Oh, my. When I had really long hair I was the only guy in a production of '1776' that didn't need a wig!
Later, I had a huge Santa Beard and long hair but could not book a job as Saint Nick--I got a new theatrical agent who wanted me to shave and cut--my commercial agent said "Well, you're not booking as SC, so OK, cut it."

First job I booked was a commercial as.....Santa. WTF?

Date: October 23, 2019 06:53PM

LOL! I agree on the washing and combing. But I don't mind.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 05:03PM

I didn't know she meant fire engine red, and sure, she looked like she had a red halo and sometimes I'd start when I saw her.

When the grandparents were like, "Why did you allow that?"

I said, "She's in high school. This might be the only time she'll have the freedom to do whatever she wants to her hair. Until someone holds *you* down and forces you to have your hair dyed red, let her enjoy her life, hmmmm?"

Stupid rude people trying to impose dumb ass rules about inconsequential things on others.

In the words of Digital Underground, doowutchyalike.

Date: October 23, 2019 06:54PM

That is what I'm getting asked. What next? Dyeing it Blue?

Date: October 23, 2019 09:09PM

What is WRONG with people? It's just hair! And it's yours!

No man buns, though. That's a crime against humanity. No man buns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2019 09:10PM by Beth.

Date: October 23, 2019 10:12PM

Beth, thank you! You’re the only person ( besides my husband)that hates man buns. I know there are a lot others, haven’t met them yet. I knew there was a reason I hate sumo wrestling

Date: October 23, 2019 10:59PM

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 12:58AM

Thank god for you Beth, I totally agree. I usually could care less about hair or styles. I started going bald my sophomore year in high school and was a chrome dome by my senior year. It didn't really bother me as I was treated as an adult and made some good money my senior year because I never got carded buying liquor for my friends. This was in Wyoming by the way. I have never cared about hair styles. Except for the man bun!

This last summer a bunch of the older teenagers started wearing man buns. They usually stop by and talk with me when I am working out in my yard because I have a basset hound named Mumford who they all love. And he loves everybody.

I was asking them why they were sporting a man bun and was trying not to giggle. Of course they started making fun of me being bald...."Let me rub the crystal ball and see my future." "Wear a hat! I am blinded by the light." I just laugh cause I have heard them all. After they got done chiding me, I said, " Hey Mulan called and she wants her man bun back." The look on their faces was priceless. One of the teenagers sister was with him and busted out laughing. She started running back to her home and couldn't wait to tell her mom.

I didn't really think anything about it but a couple days later I saw the three of them walking down the street and they all had short hair with no man buns. I decided it was best to say nothing and pretend they never had one. I saw the sister later on that evening and she told me what happened with her parents. Evidently the parents called the other boys parents and the Mulan thing became a big deal. One family had Disney's Mulan playing when their boy got home and then the chiding commenced. Sorry, I totally forgot to tell you that they were all Mormon families and the three teenagers were on the high school football team.

I suppose I made a small contribution to the no man bun society.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 05:55AM

As a young man in Liverpool in 1979, I had 3 "fire-engine" red stripes in my hair (long, curly - think mini-afro :-)

My parents were furious, but it was a great ice-breaker for chatting up girls :-D

Date: October 24, 2019 02:43PM

Did they make you cut it?

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 03:41AM

I do have a picture somewhere - but after they made me cut it :-/

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 06:00PM

I live in provo and my hair is now past my shoulders. My whole life i kept it pretty short to fit in to the mormon image. I love having long hair, my wife loves my long hair, I think some people at work love my long hair...it does provide some much needed diversity. I encourage anyone who asks me about it to try it out. I dressed up as a shepard for halloween a few years ago and a lot of people thought i was Jesus. When i was young, my bishop bugged me about having a mustache, then many years later he sported one himself, although it didn't look that great on him. Long live the hair!

Date: October 23, 2019 06:55PM

robinsaintcloud Wrote:
> Long live the hair!

Here! Here!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 06:29PM

Mormons associate long hair and beards with non-conformists like (read in bad Richard Nixon voice) "smelly hippies," so one of the unofficial commandments is for males to look like they just walked off the set of a commercial from the 1950's; short hair, clean shaven, and paler than Gollum.

After resigning from the Morg and leaving the Navy, I started to grow my hair long for the first time. And personally, I think I look good with long hair.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 06:44PM

Hair styles and lengths are just fashion. Longer lengths for men came back in the 60s and never went away. It depends on the guy and the style, but I have no objection to longer hair. When I was a young woman, I preferred it. One of my college friends had hair down to his waist.

Our founding fathers either had long hair or wore wigs simulating long hair. To say that there is something immoral about it is ridiculous.

Date: October 23, 2019 06:56PM

summer Wrote:
> To say that there is
> something immoral about it is ridiculous.

Jesus approves of this message.

Date: October 23, 2019 10:31PM

The leaders stuck rigidly with the 1950s IBM dress and grooming code (which basically still applies today). But the lay members started wearing their hair longer, growing beards and mustaches (think Sgt. Peppers era Beatles fashion) and wearing leisure suits instead of the standard corporate-style suits.

It caught the leaders off guard and they didn't crack down right away. They rode it out until the 1980s when bell bottoms, flared pants, leisure suits, etc. started piling up at Goodwill and Deseret Industries bins across the nation. Then they decided to take prophetically prophylactic measures by being more explicit regarding their dress code and grooming expectations. Suddenly white shirts weren't just mandatory for missionaries. They were mandatory for all boys and men. Suddenly Mormon church ladies (who often are men who are church ladies in spirit, if not in fact) were given license to "tsk,tsk" beards, mustaches and sideburns.

It's a weird church.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 02:25AM

Long hair on some guys can be absolutely breath-taking. I mean, seriously HOT. But on other guys, it may just look grungy. I guess it depends on what works for the individual.

I came of age in the 60s, so I have no problem at all with long hair on guys.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 07:49AM

I was trying to look for a photo of what my friend looked like in his younger days. Musician Timothy B. Schmit in his youth is a good approximation -- nice, long, straight brown hair. But I noticed that as Timothy aged, his long hair just started to look scraggly. My friend ended up cutting his hair short as he aged, and that was probably a good decision.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 10:24PM

My nephews have the greatest hair. I wish mine was like theirs.

Don't get too elaborate if you put it in a man bun. Be classy.

My brother had long hair and a big bushy beard, but of course, he had gone heathen before he left high school. There was a lot drama at our house over his hair in high school. After all, it was 1968 through 1971 and anyone with long hair was a hippie, and my dad didn't go for that.

Date: October 24, 2019 11:24AM

cl2 Wrote:
> Don't get too elaborate if you put it in a man
> bun. Be classy.

Mine is wavy and my wife and daughters all have straight. I think they are jealous.

The only man buns I'll have reside around my pelvic region.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 02:31PM

For Beth--I also don't like man buns and I was going to say that, but refrained just in case.

My son started dying his hair in middle school, we went through many colors over the years. He dyed it into his 20s. He doesn't anymore. I didn't think it was a big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2019 02:32PM by cl2.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 10:27PM

My last hair cut was in February of this year. I'm wearing it in a ponytail now so that it won't interfere with my golf swing, or disturb my view of where the hell the ball goes.

Date: October 24, 2019 11:25AM

Hair and balls. Always a tricky area to play around.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 10:36PM

Date: October 24, 2019 12:03AM

Did anyone’s school in grade school, had the principal walk in each room , inspecting the guys hair, and if it was a certain length, they had to get haircuts? That just came to me. Of course, the high school kids all had hippie hair though.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 12:36AM

You like man buns !

Date: October 24, 2019 11:26AM

Depends upon where they are.

Date: October 24, 2019 01:07PM

Oh, those kind of buns!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 01:17AM

I told my kids that when I was young and had long hair I used to part it down the middle. They said, "Dad...you still part it down the middle but the part has gotten wider." I might just grow it longer again and go for a comb-over.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 02:09AM

Get a haircut Hippy!

LOL, just had to do it. But please, no man bun :P

Date: October 24, 2019 02:35PM

Date: October 24, 2019 02:45PM

Damn you, Lisa Bonet!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 24, 2019 04:16PM

I wear my hair the way I want. It's very long now. My dead Mormon father gave me constant grief over it. May he rest in silence.

Date: October 24, 2019 07:03PM

And the worms eating into his brain.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:11AM

My jay dub relatives inform me that jesus had short hair.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 10:29AM

Probably wore it in a short 'fro!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 25, 2019 01:32PM

And do they venture to tell you where they got this info?

Ask and make them squirm.

Date: October 28, 2019 10:37AM

I don't know. Maybe man buns were cool in ancient times and could be today? Bush looks better with a bun.

https://www.designboom.com/art/politicians-man-bun-hair-styles-10-30-2015/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.