Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 03:44PM

Does anyone know how to save text messages from someone on the I phone ?
My sisters have been sending intimidating e - mails for a couple of years now. They never text , unless they want or need something.
I want to save all of their texts to me.
We moved one time and didn’t tell them because they never visit or write letters, and frankly they were part of the reason we moved cross country. A year later, they sent a Christmas card to that address, something they never do, and haven’t done since.
I got chest pains and couldn’t sleep for days after getting it.
It was just their way of telling us that they knew where we live. She’s a “ you can’t keep anything from us “kind of person.
Recently, we moved again and she found us, same thing, except she sent a text to let us know that she has our new address.
She also wrote that sisters should have each other’s addresses and not keep secrets from each other.
My question is( I hear different stuff from different people):If they delete the texts that they sent us ,from their end,would it disappear also on my end too?(like a saved You Tube video , that disappears on your end if the person deleted their you tube video?
I’d also like to put them on another device to prevent from accidental erasing on my end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elfling_not_logged_in ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 03:56PM

Take a screenshot.

How depends on the model:
If you have a newer iPhone, without a home button then press the power and the volume up buttons at the same time.

If you have a home button, then press power and home at the same time.

Keep scrolling and screenshotting until the entire message is saved. Then, from your camera roll - mail or sync the images where you want.

Date: October 26, 2019 05:00PM

Thanks for the advice. I have a new( to me) I phone 10 R. I don’t have that button at the bottom. I hate this new swiping thing. The button was super easy.
I miss the fingerprint thing too. Now I have to remember all my passwords because it doesn’t have the fingerprint thing.
I don’t understand really what screen shooting is. I’m talking about tons of messages, since 2014 on up.
If I want to store the saved texts on another device , to keep at home, do I have to buy another I phone to transfer it to?
How long does it take to screen shoot, ballpark figure?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 06:04PM

Honestly, I would block their texts and emails. If they send you something via the mail, don't open it, but instead put "Declined -- return to sender" and drop it back in the mailbox. They may know where you live, but there's no reason why you should have to interact with them at all.

Posted by: Gentleman of Letters ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 10:17PM

If you want to "Refuse(d)--Return to Sender," take a Sharpie and 1) run a thick diagonal line across YOUR name and address, then 2) use the Sharpie to obscure the bar code which the Postal Service inkjets on the envelope bottom, to make sure that both humans and machines don't inadvertently send it back to you a second time.

Date: October 26, 2019 09:07PM

“ Return to sender” is what set off my one sister. I didn’t send it , the P.O did. Proof, that she didn’t contact me until after the mail forwarding time. They just want to show power that they can always find me. We don’t interact much anyway, that’s why I was upset that she and my other sister just like to keep tabs where I’m at.
My other sister never really talks to anyone. They’re all three ,bible thumpers, but never go to church.
( Non LDS)

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 07:56PM

If you have any presence on the internet they can find you. There are several search sites online to find people including their current address. You would have to completely scrub your online presence.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 08:01PM

I agree with Summer, you can block her phone numbers and email addresses, and return any mail unopened - eventually, she will take the hint.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 11:52PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 10:17AM

Do you know how to forward a message?

I don't have an I-phone, but on an Android, you just press and hold on the message, another screen opens and one of the options is "forward".

Just forward to your email, for there you can file them in folders, print them etc.

Date: October 27, 2019 07:06PM

Thanks guys ,those are good ideas. It seems that everyone is computer savvy, but me. I’ll have my husband look at all those ideas. We never used those functions before.

Posted by: anonsometimes ( )
Date: October 27, 2019 08:19PM

We have had to deal with very similar circumstances. The only thing that worked for us is to ignore it. Best advice that I received on how to handle this type of behavior. I'd also recommend reading this incredibly amazing book:

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Survival-Signals-Violence/dp/0440226198/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+gift+of+fear&qid=1572221665&sr=8-1

The ignoring tactic works very well. We were getting almost daily unwanted family contact until I read this book. Years later no one is "inappropriately" bothering us anymore and we feel like we can handle it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.