Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 04:34PM

Attended a Primary program last Sunday. Here are some notable observations.

1. The opening prayer was a grand speech using all the common King James pronouns.
2 All songs were centered around Jesus, the mormon version.
3. The stake president stood during ward business and released everyone from their stake callings and many from their ward callings.
4. Stake president complimented the ward for being in their seats 5 minutes early and being reverent.
5. The primary program was centered around Jesus, strong emphasis on him being the Savior whom we need to obey his commandments. Most of the references about Jesus were from the Book of Mormon verses. To me, it seems like a new emphasis that Jesus is the one creating the commandments, not the prophet. So it is Jesus that doesn't want you to drink coffee.
6. After the meeting almost everybody went their separate ways very quickly into class rooms. The chapel and halls were mostly cleared.
7. I found 2 adult males on both sides of the chapel not attending a class but instead either napping or looking at their phones. I am going to bet these 2 are non-believers who do not want to be there. One of them gave the opening prayer in sacrament meeting. He looked very uncomfortable when I gazed at him.
8. A few women stayed in the chapel and socialized for at least a half hour and did not attend any class.
9. The bishop-bric, clerks, and full-time missionaries hung out in the bishop/clerk offices during the 2nd hour.
10. The deacons went around emptying garbage cans shortly before all the meetings were over.
11. The men's bathroom smelled pretty bad and wasn't very clean.
12. Almost all of the art work hung in the halls had Jesus in them with one exception being the 2000 stripling warriors.
13. There were 3 children who were wheeled around in special handicap wheel chair/strollers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 05:52PM

that's gross OPie ~

#reported ~

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 09:18PM

mormon bathrooms usually do stink. I think it may have to do with ventilation. The convection heating system doesn't pull enough air from the outside into the building. And there is also teenagers who don't flush. All this could be fixed though if a janitor was hired and they actually cleaned with bleach throughout the day.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 09:54PM

macaR:

I'm not a HVAC guy, but your observation (bathroom ventilation) appears to make sense;

do we have any insight about whether or not the architects did the design correctly? 'interesting question'!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 09:51PM

OP: just exactly how does your #13 add to the conversation?

also, are U really a General???

Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 12:19AM

I made the observations as a long time ex-mormon who is no longer triggered emotionally by what goes on there. These are things that I hadn’t noticed long ago. Maybe it is a new thing or maybe I just failed to notice.

thoughts entered my mind about the handicap children.

Why are there more children per capita being observed as handicapped?
1. Does medical tech allow these children to survive?
2. Do mormon parents choose to bring children through birth in spite of knowing they will be handicapped because of their opposition to abortion?
3. Are there mormon genetic issues causing this?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 12:20AM

But then, I'm only a P.f.c., not even LTJG.

EDIT: Your three questions are profound. I'm seeing more HP persons out and about, and not just the elderly with their parking placards, but people in various types of wheeled conveyances.

I think a smaller part of the answer is that I'm noticing them more. A larger explanation is that they ARE out: attitudes have changed, so that they can be more active and engaged, instead of cooped up in an institution or at home. And newer, more affordable, technology has played a big part, with better motors and engineering, computer-assisted controls, and so on. Also (I'm speculating here) more funding, whether it's private or public, I don't know. And let's not overlook building and engineering codes.

So yes, good for the ward that welcomes three special needs kids.

Hallelujah and amen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 12:28AM by caffiend.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 11:24PM

Good report.

Bathrooms do indeed stink. That's where the priesthood receives inspiration.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.