Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 09:39PM

< no click-bait link > ~

no electricity either ~

¿ why RfM ? ~

in b 4 ~ mudslides ~

sad ~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 09:58PM

No one is making them live in expensive CA. I bet the palm tree lined streets get old.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 10:07PM

Watching the sunset on the Pacific. Getting up at 5:00 AM tomorrow to go surfing before work.

Date: October 29, 2019 05:38PM

Several homes in my hometown in Utah burned this year, lots of others in Davis County, and wild fires all through northern Utah and southern idaho ... so not much different than here.

Date: October 29, 2019 06:35PM

Utah kind of deserves it more than California.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 06:41PM

No one deserves it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 06:42PM

nolongerangry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Utah kind of deserves it more than California.

No.

I dispute that any part of our country "deserves" wildfires (or earthquakes, or floods).

Wherever they occur, they bring loss of life, and loss of homes and other important structures (the bases of security for most people), to everyone.

Date: October 29, 2019 06:44PM

Don't tell me you would not be thrilled if Temple Square was razed by a freak fire. We all would.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 07:34PM

Only if there were really good video...

Date: October 29, 2019 10:34PM

In 2007 or 2008 we had a massive fire blowing towards us from the east. The car packed and cages for the animals, one of us sitting up during the night and taking watch in case it broke into the canyon at the head of our neighborhood. National guard troops blocking the roads at the edge of our neighborhood. Sudden mandatory evacuation the next day, a few hours later the fire department let me drive back to my house to pick up some computers, and family papers. It was a dark as night at 3:00 PM in the afternoon and the ridge above our house had flames jumping 60 ft in the air. The caustic smoke from burning oaks was unbelievably nasty, and it was snowing burning ash 2 inches deep on my roof.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:41AM

nolongerangry Wrote:
> Don't tell me you would not be thrilled if Temple
> Square was razed by a freak fire. We all would.

I would most definitely not. Is this more of your common sense?

If you disliked Catholicism would you have cheered at Notre Dame burning?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:03PM

Nolongerangry is a very angry person.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:13PM

Ya think? hahahahhahahahhaha

I guess if he/she was a mormon for a long time they've earned

the right to be angry.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:14PM

I'm a native Californian.. you couldn't pay me to live

anywhere else.

I love it.

Date: October 30, 2019 12:18PM

One wonders if these people could find CA on a map.

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:34PM

100% male.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 01:48AM

In Utah I could go skiing before work. Doesn't get much better than that.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 10:01PM

It's bad enough about the evacuations and houses lost, but the Getty Museum is a jewel. I hope the grounds and building are spared. I heard the art is safer inside. I haven't heard if it is in the fire's path.

California, from North to South, I am hoping for the best and sending my concern.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 10:51PM

They've got a million-gallon jug of water linked to a sprinkler system that they can turn on if the flames come up any side(s) of the hill on which the museum (jewel) sits. They're fine.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 28, 2019 10:37PM

It’s the gays again. Same reason the Great Salt Lake is drying up.

Date: October 28, 2019 10:49PM

lol.

Date: October 28, 2019 11:27PM

Thank you to everyone who cares.

We Californians deeply and very sincerely appreciate your concern.

To answer why we live here, despite whatever weather or the planet itself throws at us, is beyond my ability to explain with words. (I think; I will give it my best try.)

I owe my life to this state. Everyone in my close extended family (most of them are now deceased) owes/owed their life to this state.

My parents were Depression era transplants....my father came from about 1,200 miles away, and my mother from about 1,600 miles away in another direction....who came here because this was the place ("Eureka!"--means: "I have found it!," is our state motto, adopted in 1849) where they could LIVE, instead of (metaphorically) suffocate until they died.

I thank my Aunt Tomi EVERY SINGLE DAY for what she did (she, very consciously, basically sold herself into what amounted to really distasteful marital slavery, in order to get her and her close nuclear family here), because without her, my life would not have existed (in any sense).

If you want to understand California and Californians, then find a copy of "Paint Your Wagon" (set during the time of the 1850s California Gold Rush, which brought people here from ALL over the globe). (The full film is also available on You Tube for $2.99, and all of the video song clips are available for free--and what you are asking is very well conveyed in the lyrics of those songs.)

Despite all the poo-pooing of this film (it was almost universally panned by critics, and didn't do all that well during its box office run), "Paint Your Wagon" conveys EXACTLY what this state is and "always" has been about (at least since the Gold Rush which began in 1849, but probably even before for the Spaniards who came here to make this their new home)....and presents why we Californians love our state so much.

The best parts of the sitcoms and many of the films of the late twentieth century portrayed California life, as both what it actually was at that moment, and also what it had the near potential to be (centering on the promise and the in-process fulfilling of the San Fernando Valley), starting with "Rebel Without A Cause" and running through "Grease" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." (I am also going to add in "Ozzie and Harriet" here, even though the Nelson family, both on screen and in real life, lived just a handful of miles away from the Valley, through the Cahuenga Pass, in Hollywood.)

Since Spanish, and then Mexican, times California has always been the place where people could come and become who they really were inside--or who they strove to be. It is a state which lives and breathes and thrives on continual invention and reinvention: in its people, and in the creative, technological, intellectual, and scientific fields across all spectrums.

It is a place where potential is always the lowest step on the ladder--just one step away from where you are at any moment, which then leads directly, with practical effort, to the step just above.

It is as if, in 1849 and the years which followed, the U.S. part of the North America continent tipped sharply west, and the Americans and new immigrants to America who didn't fit in where they were, rolled westward to where the sun [almost always] shone, and they--as individuals and as parts of their own communities--could bloom and thrive.

Compared to California, every other place in the U.S. I've ever been to is (to me) suffocating. Once you learn another place, it usually, eventually, becomes stifling--but California always has interesting, and often newly "born," challenges available for anyone who wants to step up and take advantage of them.

Despite earthquakes and wildfires and droughts, it is "the" place we Californians actively love....and it is always changing, and growing, and intellectually evolving just enough to make sure that, year by year, we (as individuals) become the people we (as individuals) most want to be.

Thank you, Aunt Tomi.

Because of you and your great personal sacrifice, I was able to become me--my Mom and my Dad were able to become the people THEY wanted to be, and on through my entire family.

Thank you, Aunt Tomi, so very, very much.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 12:32AM

I settled in California because I chose to place my residency program high on my match list because of the air quality, and we really liked it here once we got here. (I used to surf, too, but my wife has CF, so quitting seemed to be the responsible thing to do once we had kids.) We're on the coast and not all the way to LA. Except when the fires are in our nook of the woods, the air is nearly perfect. My wife must breathe clean air.

We're out of the country on vacation now. I hope the fires don't get too close to our home, but we have duplicates of everything important, including the kids' baby books, at our vacation condo in Utah. Unless Utah and California go up in flames simultaneously, we're fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 12:33AM by scmd1.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 10:21PM

Obviously Californians did not heed presidential advice to rake and vacuum their state.

Date: October 31, 2019 12:19AM

Beth Wrote:
> This is how you do it:
> https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_HCRvlhtwHtnhtB2YS
> C3P7ymnt0=/0x145:2048x1217/fit-in/1200x630/cdn.vox
> -cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13455415/rake.j
> pg

:D

[The secret is: You have to order the special Swedish vacuum cleaner model pictured, or else the forest and hill vacuuming just won't proceed properly.]

[The second secret is: Over time, you will have to spend your entire retirement savings on specially-designed paper filler bags for that particular model of vacuum cleaner. If you do not do this, the special Swedish vacuum cleaner will not work.]

[The third secret is: Unbeknownst to us, Sweden has been trying to figure out how to substantially increase their exports to North America. This plan, with its built-in necessity to constantly and continually buy, from them, many American forest's worth of vacuum cleaner bags, is solidly guaranteed to succeed, vastly improving their national economy vis-à-vis other industrialized nations.]

Every Swede will, individually, feel a warm glow when they think of us, and how very much we have made their lives so much more financially secure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 12:22AM by Tevai.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:37AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:34PM

So tell us why you don't like Greta.

Posted by: logged out again ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 02:03PM

Probably because she is more fluent in English than his dear orange leader.

Date: November 03, 2019 02:18PM

Greta has the best words.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 12:02AM

Now, now ...it's hard to beat covfefe.

Date: November 04, 2019 01:20AM

I'll grant you that, you very stable genius!

Posted by: Autstin Powers ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 09:21AM

That is the same Swedish vacuum cleane that Austin Powers uses :)

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:20AM

Every other tree in the Lake Tahoe valley is dead, dry brown, like a dried out match. If anything ever touches it off, all that dry wood and several feet of dried out pine needles on the valley floor will go up like Hiroshima, "PFFT!"

Paint Your Wagon: set in Hangtown, California. Er, that's Placerville. Very pretty place, by Sutter's Mill, highway CA-49, east of Sacramento on U.S. 50.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 12:27AM by snagglepuss.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 02:13PM

Date: October 31, 2019 03:30PM

I haven't seen or heard one word about wildfires in Baja. I had no idea!

Sheesh!

It should have been on the news. (California, like the other American states which border Mexico, has a highly integrated daily and economic life with the relevant northern Mexican states. This should have been on our local news in southern California.)

Thank you for posting this, ConcernedCitizen 2.0. I hope your daughter, and everyone around her, gets through this well.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:30PM

...if the fire gets the Tecate brewery, then truly, all is lost. I used to go there where they had a "Long-Bar" type area inside; serving directly from the vats...publicly. I guess it's still there.......as of now.

Date: November 03, 2019 01:54PM

For you investors out there, it's time to invest in the stocks of companies that produce rakes and vacuums.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/trump-gavin-newsom-california-wildfires*

*Speaking of clickbait, where are the pole dancers, Ziller?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 01:55PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 02:04AM

We're certainly hoping for some moisture here in CA.

Date: November 04, 2019 03:05PM

donbagley Wrote:
> We're certainly hoping for some moisture here in
> CA.

I second the emotion.

[NB: Lyrics from a once popular song.]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.