Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 29, 2019 10:53PM

Don't recall hearing much about this holiday from a Mormon perspective so was totally shocked when I realized how a family member's TBM spouse put it in the category of celebrating the devil himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 03:50AM

My mormon neighbor decorates so much for Halloween that nobody else in the neighborhood needs to. (He does for Christmas, too. He even puts decorations in my yard and I'm glad.)

But it is rather interesting that they don't ban a holiday that celebrates "the dark."

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 04:45PM

>> "But it is rather interesting that they don't ban a holiday that celebrates "the dark."

Halloween celebrates "the make believe" so a church that does the same would be OK with it :)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 03:57AM

Are they a dentist?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:20AM

While the Church takes a clear stance on avoiding evil practices, Satan worship, or any other activities that take us further from Christ's light, it takes no stance on Halloween.

Just as with many other holidays and traditions, the Church does not dictate how Latter-day Saints should celebrate Halloween. Instead, our Church leaders leave it up to each of us to seek inspiration, ponder, and decide how we should celebrate this holiday with our families. Each family is unique and the traditions that bring each family together will be equally unique, meaning not every Latter-day Saint will agree on what Halloween means and how it should be celebrated. So give each family room to decide what is best for them, respect their individuality, withhold judgment, and celebrate the fact that there are many ways to have righteous fun.

**I add that as long as a dress up as a good hero (and not Darth Vader) the church is okay about it. Plenty of members add their own interpretations about it; just like they've done with drinking cold soda pop with caffeine.

Posted by: Hallowiener ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:29AM

Halloween is widely celebrated by Mormons, even in their chapels. I've always found that strange for supposed Christians.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 11:34AM

Does it involve Jesus money? Time and talents for making the church money? If not they don't care either way.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:38PM

I am BIC, and I vividly remember going trick or treating when I was young with my siblings, and my Mom would pick out my costume. Usually something like Casper the friendly ghost.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 12:44PM

I remember dressing up as a girl and going to the chapel for a Halloween party.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.