Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 09:14PM

According to an email I have today, Wendy Neilson has a new book out. Another one. Something to do with Death, etc and how to overcome grief. Must be nice to be a writer, have someone in the book business, like Sheri, and be married to the prophet. I was not impressed with the write up but it does not matter. Women in the Church will buy this book and put money into her pocket, and Sheri's pocket. Just based on name recognition. Have we ever had another prophet's wife write as many books and sell them?

Who says the Church is not a business. She should give the book away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 09:28PM

One of her previous books is

Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
by Wendy L. Watson | Dec 1, 2004

One review reads

1.0 out of 5 starsSorry, a great sex life isn't made by reading your scriptures.
April 1, 2009
Format: Paperback
I got this book because I am determined to improve my sex life. My husband was raised by faithful (closed minded, shy and prudish) parents. They never, not once, spoke to him about sex and because of that and the "humility" (huge self esteem issues) they instilled in him, he is very shy and uncomfortable in the bedroom. This book talks so much about personal purity being the way to greater intimacy- we have intimacy, we have a great fun, we talk to each other and serve one another.... I need a book to teach us how to reverse all the psychological damage that is so common within Mormon families... this isn't it.

This book talks about intimacy in the sense of kindness and service, it does not touch much on passion (ie. sex).

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 10:31PM

Right--the book doesn't even have to be good.

Just in time for Christmas.

She never experienced a normal adult-financial-struggle-career juggle-child-bearing-and-raising marriage. She would actually have good advice on being a single Mormon woman in SLC, or, better yet on sexual repression and sublimation.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:31AM

"How I Snagged Me a High-ranking Widower General Authority and Started Traveling by Private Jet."

OR

"How I Passed Go and Collected Much More Than $200 Dollars Without Ever Even Trying to Follow the Church's Life-plan Roadmap for Mormon Women"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 10:35PM

I thought how ridiculous. That sex book of hers sure sounds like a good buy--NOT. Of all people to write a book on sex. Quit faking it lady. We can all tell that you're lying.

I'm actually sure my daughter won't buy it.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 01:13PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of all people
> to write a book on sex.

She is an expert on how to fake an orgasm for The Lord.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: October 30, 2019 10:41PM

"Who says the Church is not a business. "

Nobody that knows much about the church.

Date: October 31, 2019 12:24AM

They were all fiction of course. But they were at least entertaining, so long as you were willing to apply the same suspension of disbelief that you would apply to your favorite TV shows.

I doubt that Wendy's book will be entertaining or even remotely interesting or informative.

I've been around long enough to see a lot of these books coming out from Mormon celebrities. Trite, platitudinous, cliched, repetitive.... Basically just think of a conference talk that runs 30 minutes over its allotted time.

She'll probably suggest prayer at some point. (Whoa! What Mormon would ever have thought about turning to prayer in times of grief before this book came out??)

She'll probably suggest grief counseling of some form. (Whoa! So innovative and ground-breaking!)

She'll probably suggest looking for hope and inspiration in the scriptures and edifying books found in the gospel library.

She'll probably suggest coming together with family.

In short, it's hard to imagine that her book will really have anything of value to offer to anyone who hasn't lived alone in a cave since age 5.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 12:33AM

Bet she got a nice advance and a higher than usual royalty rate.

I used to work in the record industry. Royalties were paid out only after "recoupable costs" (manufacturing, recording, etc.) had been recovered by the label, and I imagine that something similar occurs in book publishing. If that's the case, I wonder if those costs (often significant) have been waived for Wendy and her % kicks in at the start.

"Have we ever had another prophet's wife write as many books and sell them?"

Who says she's actually *written* any books? They were all probably ghostwritten for her. Still counts as priest(ess)craft.

Date: October 31, 2019 12:53AM

Wendy will be "negotiating" the arrangements with her BFF and lifelong partner, Sheri, who also has been a co-author with Wendy in the past for another book.

It's great to be on the inside of the special club, where..wink,wink...doors are opened before you knock, money is given before you work and failures are covered up before they're discovered...and everywhere you look the person in charge of whatever it is that's important just happens to be one of your best friends, one of your business partners, one of your confidantes and the person who knows as much about your dirty laundry as you do about their's.

So, yeah, I'm sure the "negotiations" were very tough and Wendy spent many sleepless nights wondering if the boss of Deseret Books would agree to publish her book and pay her for it. Just absolutely sure of that. LOL

Date: October 31, 2019 12:59AM

not logged in Wrote:
> Bet she got a nice advance and a higher than usual
> royalty rate.
>
> I used to work in the record industry. Royalties
> were paid out only after "recoupable costs"
> (manufacturing, recording, etc.) had been
> recovered by the label, and I imagine that
> something similar occurs in book publishing.
>
Something like that would definitely be the case for people who don't have any special connections and who have to go through the front door, grovel, beg and plead for attention. But for powerful people and their families, there's always a special "VIP entrance and VIP elevator" that bypass all of the uncertainty quite efficiently.

Wendy's husband is the boss of the boss of Deseret Books. Can there be any doubt that she'll get the best possible deal that DB can offer?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 03:52AM

She should write on the subjects of gold-digging and privilege.

Date: October 31, 2019 01:15PM

donbagley Wrote:
> She should write on the subjects of gold-digging
> and privilege.

I'm sure Joseph Smith would come up.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 06:58AM

In Wendy's defense, she probably has more experience with death and grieving than she does with sex (I assume that at least one of her parents is no longer alive). That said, if I had to read a book on surviving grief, I think I would read Judy Collins' book about how she overcame the suicide of her son to Mrs. Watson Nelson's. I really can't imagine that reading more of the Mormon Scriptures and praying more about them would provide a whole lot of comfort after a loved one has died.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 09:32AM

Nelson bedroom 3AM:

Wendy says, "Russ it's happening! Pass me the Lighted Pen."

Date: October 31, 2019 01:16PM

Except hers is a little larger and vibrates.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 01:21PM

Russell: Oh God, oh God, oh God, I'm about to come ...

Wendy: C'mon, c'mon, c'mon Rusty dear, you can do it!

Russell: ... up with another revelation!

Wendy: Flip, I'll get the pad and pen, again.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 01:56PM

Does Wendy have her own security detail?

inquiring minds want to know...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 02:01PM

I bet she's retained an insecurity detail to save her from being confronted by the truth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 08:17PM

How about insincerity?

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 04:25PM

50 Shades of Wend

Date: October 31, 2019 06:13PM

50 Shades of Wend is married to 95 grades of shade. Tear down historic buildings to put up a monstrosity.

"The group, City Creek Reserve, will tear down six more houses in the Temple Historic District, in addition to the nine properties already announced, as it builds a new neighborhood south of Main Street and east of Mesa Drive."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/nletter/azmemo/2018/10/04/az-memo-mesa-mormon-temple-homes-governor-candidate-garcia-asu-work-sedona-bell-rock-trail/1503233002/

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 08:55AM

95 Grades of Shade... that’s good. Still chuckling over that one.

500Billion Shades of Green is their commercial empire.

Back to Ol’Wendy’s authoring, the “Not Even Once” children’s book is still a work of horror. I cannot imagine anything productive she could put to paper.

Date: November 04, 2019 11:31AM

cheezus Wrote:
> 500Billion Shades of Green is their commercial
> empire.

100s of shadys of business.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/photo-essays/2012-07-12/the-mormon-global-business-empire

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 07:20PM

Sorry, but no amount of book royalties or fame could make me want to bed down, literally or figuratively, with Sheri or Russ. Yuck!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 09:05PM

Bet she uses a (holy)Ghost writer...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 31, 2019 11:19PM

Making hay while the sun shines.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 01, 2019 12:17PM

The ones that were accustomed to buying the church drivel books are aging. My Mom hasn't bought any since 2010. She claims that she doesn't have any extra $$$ beyond the necessities to splurge.

Church books are not memorable these days. Current leaders are instructed to not create new doctrine or write about specific memories. I think they can color their life and experiences any color they want as long as it's beige. I think the last book she purchased was one about Monson. I asked her about it while I was helping to clean a book case. She said it's good, but didn't remember anything about it.

I don't think she'll ever buy anything about Nelson, the wives, or the current board members.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 07:54AM

A lot of the books she sells will not be read. As many people give these leader-in-the-church books as presents to others. Its a way to flex your faith. Since a many mormons have no time to read due to huge families, crippling debt and church callings, the books collect dust on a shelf.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 08:02AM

That's wonderful...it's on my list.

Since leaving the cult over a decade ago, instead of buying toilet paper I have been able to use the last of a case of Book of Mormon's that I had as a ward mission leader, and I just finished the last book, I think it was Ether last night after a zesty chilli dinner earlier in the day.

So Wendy's new book...I will put it to good use for sure. I hope it's a lengthy book, with big pages and a few pictures of Wendy and Russ together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.