Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 01:34AM

I don't want to threadjack the other Africa thread.

Because of programming algorithms I have no knowledge of, about a week ago my You Tube menu suddenly began suggesting a number of videos about Ghana--specifically (for the most part), videos about African-American families who have, or are, for different reasons, moving to Ghana (as family groups): for new business opportunities of many different kinds, sometimes for cultural/historical reasons (their ancestors came, as slaves, from Ghana originally), etc.

Some of these are straight documentaries (of fifteen minutes or less) which are, in essence, "this" family's story....some of them are informational videos ("here" is how you do this necessary thing, and here are words of advice about what to bring, and what NOT to bring, from the U.S., and "here" is something you need to be warned about, "here" is how the utilities work, and "here" is info about something you're going to find really strange, such as the long wait times for your food in Ghanaian restaurants), and some of them are background videos on Ghana as a whole, with footage on what look like some VERY nice neighborhoods, so Americans have some idea of what life in Ghana is about. (Some families are moving to Ghana for the kids, so the kids will develop a deep appreciation for the land their ancestors came from.)

The other Africa thread prompted a thought: is there any association between African Americans moving to Ghana, and anything to do with the LDS church? I've never heard any of the identifying words (LDS, Mormon, etc.) on any of these videos, but if the LDS church WANTED to set up an efficient proselytizing effort in Ghana, these American families who are now moving there to create businesses, etc. would be an effective way to begin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: outta the cult ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 01:48AM

There is a temple in Accra, the capital, open since 2004. It was the second African temple, after Johannesburg.

No one told the architect that horizontal stripes are ugly and just look odd.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/accra-ghana-temple/

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 01:57AM

Church claims ~84,000 members
Like most numbers from TSCC, I would take it with some skepticism.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/facts-and-statistics/country/ghana

Here is an unofficial view of TSCC in Ghana
The numbers are out if date (membership from 2010) , so the estimates of activity may be off as well.
From that discussion, it sounds like Ghana is one of TSCC's stronger overseas areas.

https://cumorah.com/index.php?target=view_country_reports&story_id=154

The history of TSCC in Ghana is interesting - see the section titled "the Freeze" here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_Ghana

Date: November 02, 2019 02:09AM

This is wonderful information, [|].

Most especially, the section on "The Freeze" contained far more background info than I thought possible.

With this info, it is probable that there won't be a push from SLC--they've already "been there, done that."

On the other hand....

We shall see.

Date: November 02, 2019 02:00AM

Thanks, outta the cult!

If SLC does not already know, I wonder if the family groups of African Americans who are now immigrating to Ghana to create new businesses (etc.) will, at least potentially, be targeted as a possible resource.

Many thanks for the swift response!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.