Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 4 this ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 11:59AM

Sorry for the off topic post, but this is the biggest group of people I know, with knowledge about virtually everything! And sorry it's a bit long.

I THINK I WOULD LIKE TO CANCEL MY ORDER for new glasses.

Yesterday I ended up at my usual big glasses chain retailer and they really upset me because they couldn't find my insurance coverage, said I didn't have coverage, embarrassed me in the store, etc. Some health care providers have trouble with the ID numbers, so I asked them to call the number on the insurance card, which usually does the trick. The lady refused. She yammered on and convinced me that my policy does not have vision coverage anymore. She also patronizingly explained that they were giving me an "insurance discount" even though I "don't have coverage." Their own records from my last visit, just over a year ago, showed the coverage, same account numbers, etc.

Well, after leaving I called the number myself and they confirmed that I do have coverage, for exams and $200 towards glasses or contacts (which is what I thought). Guy on the phone explained that big-box no longer participates in their network.

So, I had ended up ordering glasses that cost $605, and will have to file a claim to get $200 back. It sure would have been nice to have paid only $405 and not have to file a claim, wait for a check, yada yada yada.

Then, to add insult to injury, I looked online later and I pretty sure I could order them online for about half the "retail" price I paid yesterday. I also managed to super glue the broken hinge on my current glasses and it's holding well enough that I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer.

I'm kind of pissed off at big-box for not being honest about the insurance, and for belittling me rather than just admitting that they're not in the network anymore.

If I have to file an insurance claim, and I can save even more money, I think I'd like to try an online option. I think I can get something comparable for $100-200 net rather than $405.

I have heard people rave about the online retailers, but I've heard others say that for more "complicated" prescriptions that it can be problematic. I need bifocals, but otherwise not a terribly complicated prescription.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried the online options?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 12:04PM

Do they tell you the quality of the glass used? Different grades available and the lower end places do not sell you the top grade product. It does make a big difference.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 01:51PM

I go to a top eye doc but order my glasses from Costco. They check your lenses before they even call you for pick up. I go thru maybe 4 pair a year every two years and have a complex rx.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 01:53PM

I don't see how an online service could do that. Had major problems at two quickie places. Lenscrafters will refund you after 5 tries.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 02:01PM

The order was mangled and you suffered unnecessary embarrassment.

Say, "Sorry, I need to cancel my order. I wasn't happy about how it was handled and I've decided to start over fresh with someone else."

The company needs to know that they can't bungle these orders and blame it on customers like you or me.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 03:40PM

Then go to a few review sites (Google, Yelp, etc.) and review them negatively. They may get in touch with you to remedy the problem, if you agree to change the review.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 04:50PM

I have to pay almost $700. for new gasses and frames because of my complicated prescription. I do have insurance which pays about $150 and sometimes I can also use my husband's insurance when he doesn't need new glasses during the year.

I appreciate respectful service and getting a worker willing to see that I receive my full benefits. We worked long and hard for our vision care benefits and deserve them without suffering embarrassment.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 01:57AM

I am with Cheryl. Call and get a supervisor. Tell them the person that served you was either misinformed (to be nice) or just lied straight to your face. You are canceling the order period. I would also contact the card/bank you made payment from and have them cancel it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 05:25PM

I don't even know what it is, I just know I have bad vision. I also order glasses for working on the computer--so a different Rx.

I go to Standard Optical and pay $69.95 for 2 pair and I've never had a single problem.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 04:08AM

Almost ALL eyeglasses are a ripoff in the USA.

There is s monopoly in charge, and your Congress looks the other way, as they've been paid off.

60 Minutes ran stories about this scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNW_VmlxQJU

I have an eye Doctor friend, now retired, who told me the dirty secrets, and how to avoid their treachery.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.