Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 06:05PM

at our Friendly Neighborhood WalMart (home of low prices!)
the Knights of Columbus (aka Roman Catholic Church aka Great & Abominable Whore of the Earth) wearing K of C vests

was collecting $ for Special Olympics ...

Has ChurchCo ever done anything like this as an endorsed activity?

I sincerely doubt it, but maybe if SL/COB was asleep someday, maybe a local loose cannon Bp or SP slipped this one in...

anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 06:18PM

LD$ Inc. ran out of yellow T-shirts.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 07:28PM

The LDS church gives little, estimated at 1/10 of 1%, to charity. They no longer operate any hospitals, and zero charities--no soup kitchens, no food pantries, no shelters. I give to people like Shriners, who famously help children with complicated and expensive medical problems. I can't vouch for KofC. Also, speaking of Shriners and other sects of Freemasonry, Scottish Rite Masons also do good works for kids. The Morg sleeps through this kind of stuff, preferring instead to gather dividends.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 02, 2019 08:21PM

A few years ago a group of three Utah Stakes got together for the church wide Day of Service and somehow got permission from the stake presidents to sponsor a "Giant Yard Sale". Members were encouraged to donate unused items. The very successful sale raised over $10,000 for a domestic violence transitional housing program.
The church encouraged those who had held successful projects to submit info to the Church News for publicity. The yard sale was deleted from the news because "the members should have donated their items to Deseret Industries".
Their church, their rules.
(By the way anything not sold at the giant sale was donated to DI)

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:18PM

...instead of offering help to those who are in immediate and critical need, they concentrate on having an office which looks to fleece the elderly members of their retirement and financial assets; (upon death, of course). I mean, let's get our priorities straight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.