Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 08:24AM

Talking to a bishop.

He stated that when a young person is trying to qualify for a mission. They will go over the young person's repented of transgressions. All with the idea of making sure they are really and truly going to be able to do well on a mission.

So. They keep a record. They judge you by it. Continually.

Any mormons reading this.

Don't confess anything.

Just like the scientologists, they keep a hit file on you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 08:30AM

But even if they preach that if you repent, your sins are forgiven. They're lying.

My "husband" is gay and had a lot of "sins" he had to repent for when we were in the singles ward. The fact he is gay never made it to the next 2 wards we lived in (and we still live in the second ward/neighborhood). My husband was ex. sec. to the bishop and the bishop and his wife ADORED my husband. They told me many times. He left me in 1996 (he lives here now, but we are not a couple) and blew everyone's minds, especially that bishop and his wife. They still don't cope well with it.

He wanted to go talk to the bishop after he told me he was cheating, but I said, "NEVER, NEVER EVER AGAIN are you talking to a leader about you being gay and neither am I."

It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life or multiple experiences as it went on for 18 months for me. For him until he was 27.

Never, ever ever confess anything.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 10:09AM

amen amen amen
and in case you didn't hear me A M E N !!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 11:11AM

ESPECIALLY BY OUR WIVES...

just sayin'

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 04:04PM

I was always the one thrown under the bus. People still think I was the one with money problems, while he was paying me NOTHING including no child support. If the kids needed school lunch and I was broke, they better make $5 last for the week for both of them.

Just depends on the person. I could still take him to the cleaners, but I choose not to, as long as he keeps his end of the bargain now.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 11:27AM

They can also do a "annotation" on a membership record.

Date: November 03, 2019 05:06PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They can also do a "annotation" on a membership
> record.

Hmmmm I wonder if Joey had a 'child molester' or 'adulterer' annotation on his membership (or on his dick)...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 07:23PM

Somehow that never happens. It's like they're in a protected class.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:08PM

...that's why some ex-Mormons revert to Catholicism. At least they can buy "absolution."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:12PM

How does one "revert to Catholicism" when they were never a catholic ?
A more proper term would be "revert to Atheism" since all of them were born Atheists.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 01:45PM

...OK...not "revert". "Convert".

"Revert" could mean they were previous members, or, they digressed into another failed religion. Also means to "fall back" or "regress".

I would think Catholicism is a step downward.

Date: November 03, 2019 02:53PM

"Absolution is an integral part of the Sacrament of Penance, in Roman Catholicism.[1] The penitent makes a sacramental confession of all mortal sins to a priest and prays an act of contrition (a genre of prayers)"

"Absolution forgives the guilt associated with the penitent's sins, and removes the eternal punishment (Hell) associated with mortal sins, but only if the penitent has a firm purpose of amendment and is truly contrite. The penitent is still responsible for the temporal punishment (Purgatory) associated with the confessed sins, unless an indulgence is applied or, if through prayer, penitence and good works, the temporal punishment is cancelled in this life."

You don't buy absolution in the Catholic church. And there are very few exmormons who convert to Catholicism. You're free to show me where I'm wrong.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 10:38AM

"You don't buy absolution in the Catholic church."

They used to. It was called buying (or selling..) "indulgences".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

"However, in the later Middle Ages growth of considerable abuses occurred. Some commissaries sought to extract the maximum amount of money for each indulgence."

A friend of mine growing up, his father said he wasn't religious anymore because this guy grew up catholic and watched as catholic priests gouged his family for "indulgences" to guarantee a dead relative's entrance into heaven.

Date: November 04, 2019 12:24PM

Yes. This all predates the Mormon church, so it's not a reason why exmormons join the Catholic church. That was my only point.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 02:36PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2019 02:38PM by cludgie.

Posted by: stillangry ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 03:07PM

No shit.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 03, 2019 07:01PM

Some of us would question any 'sins' exist!!! Not a God thing and human thing!

Date: November 03, 2019 07:43PM

Date: November 04, 2019 03:17AM

In the case of those who abuse others...

I think ChurchCo SHOULD KEEP A RECORD...

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 07:44AM

Obviously if someone has a legal issue. If they are a sexual predator for example. but, what was mentioned to me is just run of the mill stuff that "young men have repented of".

It shows me that their record keeping is broad and far reaching. Sounds like it is meant to control the faithful, perhaps gives them leverage over any future critics, etc.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 09:52AM

I wonder if, generally speaking, “Never ever admitted to masturbation!” makes eyebrows go up?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 12:23PM

I've written here before that I blamed a stake president for implementing the tight church correlation program in the 1980s. His personal view was that every young man in the stake had a problem that needed his **chosen bishops to continually address. My bishop maintained a file on me, as well as personal notes from every single interview. He even correlated with the ym leaders and had a t-chart of which church activities I had attended and the ones which I had missed. He would continually refer to it by asking what you had discussed from the previous interviews (I couldn't remember what I had eaten for lunch :D). By the end of his tenure as bishop, my folder was thick. The next bishop paid no attention to my file, otherwise I doubt that I would have been recommended to serve a church mission.

My mission president maintained a file on each of his missionaries. He knew of my interviews from the MTC. When I returned home, a file of my missionary activities had been faxed or mailed. I remember being asked by the stake president how many souls had been baptized and I gave a low number (I really didn't keep track) compared to the official report.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 12:46PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The next bishop paid no attention to my file,
> otherwise I doubt that I would have been
> recommended to serve a church mission.

Who has the time to target people? Geez, what a sad life.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 02:02PM

Possibly forgiven, but NEVER FORGOTTEN! (Ominous background music)

Date: November 04, 2019 02:51PM

Sadly I have known of boys who got tortured by bishop after bishop with the masturbation question. Once they had admitted it to one bishop it followed them around. In my opinion it is to guilt them into doing more what the bishops wants them to do (pay more tithing accept callings and so forth). Sin is a powerful tool to control people. To be worthy to enter the house of the lord (temple) one needs a current temple recommend needs to be a full tithe payer. They need our money and time and use family to get it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2019 05:35PM

Whatever...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.